• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

AIASP World Championship of Ping Pong Pepper Growing Contest - 2013

I was asked to post this contest here to allow anyone interested in participating to do so. It's a very unique contest and open to all growers worldwide. I hope I put this in the correct section of the THP forum. Below are detailed contest rules. Enjoy!

Chris

"WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP OF 'HOT' PING PONG"

The Association "AIASP" index for the year 2013, the first race of cultivation
International cultivation called WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP OF 'HOT' PING PONG.

The event is open to all amateur growers, members and non-members who want to test their ability to cultivate. The purpose of the competition is to cultivate a pepper plant (any species / variety can be used) inside a ping pong ball.

The minimum target will be to bring the pepper plant to fruition (and ripe fruits attachments). Participation in the competition is free.

The following rules governing participation:

1. To be eligible to enroll in the forum (www.aiasp.it / forum) and send an email at info@aiasp.it with the subject WCHPP writing in "I Want
Participate "indicating full name along with the nickname used on the predicted forum;

2. And 'the obligation of the person concerned to register on the forum AIASP because it will create a Topic with your name, where they will be posted photos of the plant (or plants) by writing the names of the varieties (you can compete with up to 3 varieties);

3. The race begins April 1 and ends on September 30 (also valid for the other competitor’s hemisphere);

4. The ping pong ball must be on the top of a hole with a diameter of 1 cm and max on the bottom of a hole with a diameter of 0.5 cm max useful for water drainage. You are forbidden to let the roots grow out of the drainage hole (if any roots appear, they must be cut off). To check if the competitor is in good faith, will post once a week a photo of the plant on the forum of the Association (www.aiasp.it / forum) in section prepared for the race;

5. Full freedom is given to the participants to choose the type of soil and the technique of fertilization to take (leaf, liquid, etc.);

6. The final picture will be posted within the deadline of the competition in
dedicated section of the forum AIASP (www.aiasp.it / forum). Are allowed a maximum of 3 photos of the own plant (front, from above and one with a reference metric together with photo of the top and bottom holes);

7. A first selection of plants will be presented by the participants started the race. The first six who have had the highest score will be submitted to the jury
Steering Committee dell'AIASP which in turn will award the 1st, 2nd and 3rd prize;

8. The plants will be evaluated based on the following parameters:

a. Appearance overview: score 1-10;
b. All attachments between fruit and ripe score from 1 to 10;
c. Luxuriance Foliar score 1-10

The winners must notify their address to 'email info@aiasp.it.
AIl winners will be awarded prizes offered by our sponsors, in particular:

· First Place: Cup bid dall'AIASP, 1 bottle of sauce offered by PITBULL
JungleRain, Bottle of 1 liter of LG81 and bottle 1 liter of Gerhumin L.Gobbi
offered by New Fertil, good spending € 10 for the purchase of products on the site Simonetti Srl;

· Second place: Cup bid dall'AIASP sauce DRAGON BERRY offered by
JungleRain, bottle of 1 liter of Gerhumin L.Gobbi offered by New Fertil, good spending by € 10 to purchase products on the site Simonetti Srl

· Third place: Cup bid dall'AIASP, 2 packets of ALGACARE - 1 bag
Spruhdunger type 27 - 1 packet of type 5 Spruhdunger offered by NewFertil, good spending by € 10 to purchase products on the site Simonetti Srl

Is that even possible? An entire plant is in the regulation ping pong ball where the plant doesn't get any air and it also has to make a pepper inside this ball? The pepper would obviously have to naturally be a small one. You would almost have to run a smaller tube through the drain hole and up into the ball just for the plant to get a minimum amount of air. Am I being stupid about this and just don't understand? Tom

i would think that the plant grows outside the ping pong ball roots stay inside the ball to grow a plant inside would be ruff right ?

I am sure it will be hard. John Ford was pretty confident it can be done successfully. He said he did a similar type project in school before. :) The only way to try is do it. :) I sowed some seeds tonight. I'll report back.

Chris

No, just the root system needs to be contained in the ball.

Well I feel much better now, that at least makes it a bit easier huh? Could put the ball on top of a capilary pad with liquid fertilizer in a reservoir so the roots don't have to be big to produce a decent amount of plant material above. I'm going to check this one out. It sounds just like the kind of thing I like to play with, just to see if I can do it. Thanks for clearing that up. I was picturing a ship in the bottle type of grow. Tom

Are you ready for a game of Ping Pong? Great global competition promoted by AIASP. " WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP OF HOT PING PONG"
547704_10200406728163909_1804227631_n.jpg
544472_10200406730483967_1368394528_n.jpg

" WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP OF HOT PING PONG" Order to permit to take part in competition for those who has not yet registered, the AIASP Association directive committe has decided to amend paragraph 3 of the competition rules as follows:

The race starts on 1th April and ends on 31th October (also applies to competitors of the other hemisphere)

prolonging the closing date for the publication of the photos (the other points are confirmed).

Here is a bird pepper I transplanted into a ball. I have a pepperlovers most prolific germinating in another ball. The drill bit really marred the ball for the bird pepper but I am doing this for fun. Was too late for the competition.

null_zps35d1869c.jpg

Seems to me IF you can grow it SEMI Hydroponically it could work.
Trim the plant and control the moisture and nutes.

Basically a bonzi type thing.
Get the right combination and you win.
LOTS OF PRECISION WORK INVOLVED I THINK.

I'd think as a plant gets older,the more difficult it gets.
Nutes etc get more specific.

For pure seeds I grow plants in 4 1/2 inch pots for 3/4 of a season.
MOST aren't happy,but all I'm looking for is a couple pods out of the ton of buds that drop..
A Lot are REALLY happy when they finally go outside.

Cool contest.

I plan to use a wick system when these develop becauSe the hard part would be as they develop, a small root structure would have trouble absorbing enough nutes and water to support the plant ontop. A wick system will help these plants accomplish that. I plan to wick out of my aquaponic grow beds.

Back