• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

Red Chilis? More Specific, Please...

I just bought a six pack of "red chili" plants from the local home improvement store. What exactly is a red chili? Is it just that vague? "What kinda peppers are these?"..... "Red chilis.... duh! Can't you tell?!"

as long as it has some bite, and it's red, you got what you payed for. probably going to be a very generic red pepper. when you search "red chilli" you get a cayenne/thai looking pepper. that's what i would imagine it to look like. it's funny because lots of peppers ripen red, so you could really have anything as long as it's hot and red.

as long as it has some bite, and it's red, you got what you payed for. probably going to be a very generic red pepper. when you search "red chilli" you get a cayenne/thai looking pepper. that's what i would imagine it to look like. it's funny because lots of peppers ripen red, so you could really have anything as long as it's hot and red.

That's kinda what I'm expecting.... cayenne type. I was looking for tabasco, but all they had that was close were these "red chilis"

I think you are going to end up with cayennes. I know around here, the old timers will tell you "a cayenne isn't a pepper its a chili" and "a bell pepper aint no chili, its a pepper". They would also tell you a jalepeno is a pepper but not a chili, seems to be they only consider cayenne type peppers "chilis". Could be different down South though.

I think you are going to end up with cayennes. I know around here, the old timers will tell you "a cayenne isn't a pepper its a chili" and "a bell pepper aint no chili, its a pepper". They would also tell you a jalepeno is a pepper but not a chili, seems to be they only consider cayenne type peppers "chilis". Could be different down South though.

They had separate six packs labeled "cayenne"

Either way, I'm sure I'll be satisfied with them. I was looking for red tabasco types to use in sauces

Red Chile is most times a generic name.
I've seen New Mex types labeled as red Chile.Grown red chile Pepper flake seeds out and also got a wide range of different pepper varieties.
I never got one that looked like Cayenne though,so far.
Once you get past all the Red Hot Chili Pepper stuff on google there are pics from seed companies showing all kinds of different pod shapes from small to long fat cayenne types along with fresno looking pods of all sizes..

Most times they were different peppers(from flake pack seeds) that were from 1 inch-2 1/2 inches long and up to 3/4 inches wide.
A few times the pods looked similar to Guajillo,New Mex. or California Chilles.

I've never grown seeds from a seed company called Red Chile.
Mostly from pepper flake packs...or trades.
I have an unopened pack of red Chile seeds from Tomato Growers(Cayenne type?),another pack from RainbowChiliseeds and a couple from plants grown from pizza places pepper flake packs.

I'll post pics once I get pods. I have an image in my mind of ripened mexican "green chiles"... like the ones that come in the can on the mexican food aisle at the grocery store

I'll post pics once I get pods. I have an image in my mind of ripened mexican "green chiles"... like the ones that come in the can on the mexican food aisle at the grocery store
Didn't you know those are an entirely different variety of their own? The fabled "mexican green chiles" is no myth, but a genuine named variety of capsicum. Um. Yes, capsicum. Um. "Capsicum Greenium". Yes, that is it. Now you just bought some "Capsicum Redmium." See, they're similar in color to cadmium red, so they're "redmium". Makes sense... don't you think?
;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadmium_red

So if you follow the link in that wiki to "plain" cadmium, you'll find that yes, artists do frequently work with stuff that ain't necessarily safe.....

Can't get an idea of the size in the picture, but they look small-ish tabasco-like size

8624514463_7d65257927_b.jpg

I guess they're red hot chili peppers! I'm so sick of seeing that in searches.... lol

Or maybe not so small...

http://bonnieplants.com/products/vegetables/peppers/chili-red-hot-pepper

Back