• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

recipe-help Need a recipe for the hot pepper relish stuff that's called "hots" in sub shop

Hi, I've been trying to find a recipe for this stuff for ages but nothing I've found is quite right. I don't know if calling it hots is a New England thing either, but I'm pretty sure it's a jalapeno relish of some sort. Any advice or recipes would awesome.

Hot Pepper Relish is kind of a generic term. Can you describe what you're looking for more specifically? Is it a minced type vinegar based thing like pickle relish that goes on hot dogs? Or ??? Is there a commercial product that is similar? And :welcome: SL

@salsalady Heh, thanks and you're right a description would be helpful. Crushed cherry peppers sound about right, although the closest store bought stuff I've found is Wickles jalapeno relish. It has smal chunks like hot dog relish, lots of vinegar though, less sweet. I'm fairly sure it's red, but I'm color blind so I'm not 100% on that.

Bob the closest thing is the store is B&G Sandwich Toppers Hot Chopped Peppers.

bg_sandwich_toppers.jpg

And :welcome:

Cherry peppers, water, vinegar, sugar, salt... pulsed in a blender. Stored in fridge unless you can properly measure pH and can.

Here's an approved recipe for making pickled peppers. If you keep the measurements close to what's listed, you can substitute any vegetables or chiles for what's listed and have a safe product. Don't cut back on the vinegar, though. http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/foodnut/09314.html

At Bub's Subs (my favorite in Chicago area) they make a home made giardiniera that I buy by the pint to use on sammies at home.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giardiniera

Absolutely fantastic product that's pretty easy to make but time consuming (which is why I buy it at Bub's). It's multicolored unlike the pic that was posted, but I'm sure the two products are kissing cousins.

Back