• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Growing coffee

Hey, I would like to grow a small coffee plant that I could keep indoor during the winter and maybe bring out in the summer if it's possible.
I figured maybe someone on the forum has grown coffee at some point.

I'm seeking advice on the variety to find. I'm pretty sure I will start from seeds (unless somebody knows a source for a coffee plant in Quebec) and I saw the "arabica nana" var.

I'm thinking a smaller variety like this one it would do better since it would be kept in a relatively small pot. Anyone has tried this?

Growing up in LA (the one in California) I had a couple of acquaintances who grew coffee (Kona) successfully in containers. They need protection from frost, and they do not like too much sun.

I'd try contacting upscale coffee shops for a started plant. Locally (still southern Cal) it's common to see potted coffee plants used as decoration, and sometimes they even sell small plants.

Pulling this off in Quebec will be a bit more challenging. Good luck!

My mother has a potted coffee plant she grew from seed. She got the seed from a guy in Florida who is some kind of coffee growing guru. Apparently, the little fruit that the seed is inside is sweet and delicious, who knew?. They are very sensitive to cold. Anything below 45 F is not going to be good, and a frost will outright kill the plant.

Yes we still have warm months in the summer here.

My mother has a potted coffee plant she grew from seed. She got the seed from a guy in Florida who is some kind of coffee growing guru. Apparently, the little fruit that the seed is inside is sweet and delicious, who knew?. They are very sensitive to cold. Anything below 45 F is not going to be good, and a frost will outright kill the plant.

Eating fresh coffee fruits really seems like a good idea! I want to do this even more now haha.

I have always wanted to do this too.
I call coffee the beans of life.... lol

I read that one full grown coffee bush will put out about a pound of beans.

So growing coffee plants might be just for fun, and the love of growing things :)

Nowhere in the U.S. other than Hawaii does coffee grow good. Canada either.
There's a reason all the best coffees come from South America and Hawaii. ;)

i have read coffee makes a good houseplant.

i planted a pack of seeds, but none germinated. im definitely going to be giving it another shot.

Nowhere in the U.S. other than Hawaii does coffee grow good. Canada either.
There's a reason all the best coffees come from South America and Hawaii. ;)

Well true, but coffee also grow in Africa and Asia outdoor. I believe (and I might be wrong) that you can almost grow anything indoor. It's just a matter of knowledge & skills.

We tried to grow coffee in the nursery years ago, it doesn't growhere due to cool winters and low elevation. They were pretty plants while they lasted, though.

Well true, but coffee also grow in Africa and Asia outdoor. I believe (and I might be wrong) that you can almost grow anything indoor. It's just a matter of knowledge & skills.

Yes Africa and Asia as well but I said, "Best coffees" :P ;)
It might grow indoors but if it were that easy I think the major coffee companies would have it grown here.
Rainy, not too cold, high elevations are where it thrives.

I grow coffee, have 4 plants, 2 x Arabica, 1 x K7 and 1 x Dwarf Catui.

All 4 are outside, and are right against concrete walls. They've been left outside all winter, we get down to no more than say -2C at the very worst where I am, and while the leaves fade a little over winter they spring back pretty quickly when it warms up.

Last year I got 6 cherries on one of my Arabica. Expecting a lot more this year as I took them out of their pots and put in the ground.

IMG_20140207_101452.jpg

Took some pics this morning while the sun was out this morning.

First pic is the Dwarf Catui, second has an Arabica in front and a K7 at the back behind the Raspberries. There is also 2 Tea plants at the base there, they struggled in their soil mix in their pots, so only took them out a few months ago and placed in garden and can already see new shoots.

20140914_080304.jpg
20140914_080315.jpg
 ​
This pic has the Arabica that we got the cherries off earlier this year, and also the new growth that is starting to occur.

20140914_080332.jpg
20140914_080421.jpg

I'm not sure I'd want to see a coffee plant this far north...

Looks awesome though, this year you'll definitely get enough for much more than a midget expresso! :P  Just pullin' your leg, this is pretty sweet to watch.

Back