• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pests aphid control? hydroponics flower?

hello, i am growing hydroponicly in DWC and have three plants one is savina habanero the other two either butch t or ghost i have no idea. it started out with a couple aphids and i just used tape to take them but after doing that every day i got tired of it so i stpped doing it next thing you know it spread to my other plants and are to much to kill i tried soap but its damaging the leaves and not effective. i need to know whats the best way to get rid of them.

also i know it is asked alot but why are my flowers dropping? i did some research and there are various possiblities but one thing i could not find out is that i put my plants in hydroponics around a month old and only put them on BOTANICARE PURE BLEND PRO GROW for about a month before i switched to BOTANICARE FLOWERING nutrients that they have been on flowering for about a month and my savina habanero has a lot of open flowers but it drops about 5 flowers a day. i would like to know if the flower dropping is due to the fact that i put them to flower to early?

here are some pics
http://s1173.photobucket.com/user/raptor4444/library/?page=1

It ain't the soap thats damaging the leaves its the aphids, I just ordered a gallon of neem oil cause cedar oil has failed, I have been forced to 7 dust 30 or so plants and as soon as the neem gets here I will be hitting em hard with a dog - tick and flea shampoo and neem oil mix!

I've got aphids in my aquaponics growbed, and I dusted them this morning with diatomaceous earth (the stuff I use for my chickens). Let's see how that works.

In the soil garden I just spray with bonine (pyrethrins and sulfur).

It ain't the soap thats damaging the leaves its the aphids, I just ordered a gallon of neem oil cause cedar oil has failed, I have been forced to 7 dust 30 or so plants and as soon as the neem gets here I will be hitting em hard with a dog - tick and flea shampoo and neem oil mix!

i will be trying some of the flea killer i have some in my garage. also ill try jalapeno juice hope those little pests suffer let me know if neem oil work thanks

I remember seeing something at my local nursery. It's organic, it repels or something I can't recall. ingredients are garlic and sulfur I think. I'm gona snoop around tomorrow I'll let you know what it is and I'll post a pic of it.

, Vegas

Extract of Chrysanthemum cinerariifolium always works a treat.
Tried every other natural remedy, this one is the only one that worked. Stresses them out for a week or so, and some leaves drop, but kills every little bugger.
Attempting to breed lady bugs for the outside plants, but even if that project fails, they are cheap.
As for hydro flower drop, they will set fruit with a little help from a small paint brush, or when the stars and moon line up in exactly the right position whilst holding yer left thumb in your mouth and crossing your eyes.

BTW, the extract is also known as pyrethrin.

Pyrethrin spray works. Kills most any bug instantly on contact. It breaks down quick, which is good, kills the bugs you aim it at and doesn't stick around to kill beneficials later.

Hey I am not sure about the bugs as I have not had that problem yet but I can give some insight to the flowers dropping and you already solved it. The plants are too young right now to put any flowers to fruit. I would put them back to the pure blend pro grow until the plant is the size that you want it to be and then switch over to the pure blend pro bloom. I use that same nutrient in my hydro systems and I love it and I made the same mistake as you and all flowers just dropped. The plant will put out fruit when it is ready.

Also what kind of water you are using? And what PH are you running? Botanicare pure blend series will bugger high PH tap water down to about 7.5 ph and you can use ph down to get it to about 6.0, otherwise if you are using reverse osmosis water, then it causes a drop in PH down to about 3.5 which is way too acidic and will cause nute burn on the plants so in that case you need to PH up to 5.5-6.0. And if you are using reverse osmosis water I recommend adding some CalMag every other nute change as the organic based nutrient that pure blend is does a poor job at supplying calcium.

That's a good idea on the dog flea and tick shampoo. I think I'll try a teaspoon of that next time a mix up my gallon jug of neem oil instead of dishwashing liquid.

thanks alot im not sure the ph of the water i have not tested it in a while i nevere really payed any attention to the ph only at first but slowly stoped testing i will go back to the grow formula....i took care of the aphids by going to home depot because i was tierd of those bugs and purchased some strong pioson that kills a long list of bugs on contact my not be organic but its for indoor so i really dont want any bugs at all

Extract of Chrysanthemum cinerariifolium always works a treat.
Tried every other natural remedy, this one is the only one that worked. Stresses them out for a week or so, and some leaves drop, but kills every little bugger.
Attempting to breed lady bugs for the outside plants, but even if that project fails, they are cheap.
As for hydro flower drop, they will set fruit with a little help from a small paint brush, or when the stars and moon line up in exactly the right position whilst holding yer left thumb in your mouth and crossing your eyes.

BTW, the extract is also known as pyrethrin.

this made me laugh

I just got a small thing of neem oil from the grow store. I haven't used it yet but my buddy says it works like a charm. He said it makes them retarded and they forget to breed

Neem oil is readily available everywhere from the local mom n pop garden center to home dept and OSH.
Look for a spray bottle kind of looking like a 409 or armor all size.

This is what mine came in not a spray bottle. You have to mix it and its supposed to be the next best thing to lady bugs... Said my buddy. Prolly depends on the problem tho. I've been battling these stupid bugs for far too long. Going to treat them tomorrow and hopefully it will be the beginning of the end.
CAM00378_zpsdeb40edf.jpg

CAM00379_zps06d5b273.jpg

This is what mine came in not a spray bottle. You have to mix it and its supposed to be the next best thing to lady bugs... Said my buddy. Prolly depends on the problem tho. I've been battling these stupid bugs for far too long. Going to treat them tomorrow and hopefully it will be the beginning of the end.
CAM00378_zpsdeb40edf.jpg

CAM00379_zps06d5b273.jpg

I use this product. I drench the plant foliage once a week and spray as many gnats/bugs as I can. I also use mosquito dunks and have had good success with the combination of the two.

When I mix dish soap to kill aphids, I mix it a bit stronger than some do (about 3% or 1.5 Tablespoons in a 750 ML Sprayer). I leave it on the plants for 15 minutes or so then rinse off well with water. That way, the solution is strong enough to kill the aphids (and it does kill them for sure) and the water rinse insures that the plants won't be damaged. The other aphid control measures noted here are probably good too of course but I've had outstanding success killing aphids with this soap solution. As we all know of course, soap solution will only kill the aphids that are already there and does not work to prevent any future ones from coming along.

Big Mike
Visit us Online: www.knot2worry.us

When I went out to check on my plants last night, I saw two big fat ladybugs patrolling the pepper garden. On the one hand, I hope they eat well and do their job. On the other hand, I hope they're not eating too well, because that would mean an infestation!

Count me as another vote for neem, too. Diatomaceous earth is good, but neem worked like a charm for me last year.

Back