• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking Smoked Corned Beef Brisket, Chicken Thighs, and other stuff...

It is a beautiful Spring day here in South Central, PA. Seems like a perfect time to fire up the smoker and the grill. A while back someone said something about smoking a corned beef brisket. Seems like an awesome idea, so I am going to give it a try. Along with that, I am smoking some marinated chicken thighs (chipotle, lime, pineapple, and cherries leftover from the throwdown), and since Mrs. JayT does not like smoked food, I am making some sliders and hot dogs on the grill.

Getting started:

100_1523.JPG

Orange Crush

100_1525.JPG

Old Faithful

100_1520.JPG

Brined Corned Beef Brisket

100_1521.JPG

Marinated Chicken Thighs

100_1522.JPG

100_1524.JPG

"Proper" sliders - ball and smash with a cast iron style

A while back someone said something about smoking a corned beef brisket. Seems like an awesome idea, so I am going to give it a try.

Hehe yeah that's called pastrami. ;)

I know THP, but I have never done one. Garlic, Pepper, Salt on it. Good? No comments on the sliders? No cookie cutter used. 80/20 beef.

I be liking ALL dat.

Basic pastrami rub = equal parts coriander and black pepper, in a grinder. Add your heat as desired, maybe some coffee beans in there for a unique flavor.

Sure, garlic works. No salt though it has enough in the meat; corned beef.

Ha! Your BP radar is on today, huh? You found that in minutes.

Sure. And coat that baby up, this is one bark that is supposed to get black.

That will probably be a problem, I have a water smoker, and it does not usually make dark bark.

That will probably be a problem, I have a water smoker, and it does not usually make dark bark.

You don't have to use water in the pan. Just put tinfoil in there to get the drippings and make cleaning up easier. And no the food won't dry out from not having water. Low and Slow temps will keep in nice and moist.

Sliders done, decided to skip the dogs tonight and move them to another day this week. Sliders for me had mayo, a couple of hot sauces, Killerswarm from Pex Peppers, and Jimmy Scorpion from JAG, and topped with Texas Creek Chipotle bbq sauce.

100_1526.JPG

100_1527.JPG

100_1528.JPG

Gotta have the Martin's rolls, the best on Earth.

100_1529.JPG

100_1530.JPG

100_1531.JPG

I know a lot of you like them more rare than this, but it is grocery store ground beef, so I am not taking any chances.

Ditching the water now.

Nevermind, the water is about dried up now anyway. Chicken is just about done.

100_1532.JPG

I am out of oranges, time to move on to a different drink. I love grilling and drinking on a Monday afternoon/evening. And using my smoker makes me happy.

Very cool Jay. This time of year is so nice to get outside and cook.
Your sliders look deliscious, and that chicken looks like perfection.
I can't wait to see your pastrami. Kick ass sandwich anyone?

I got my grill spiffed up with new burners, on Saturday finally, then I got a last minute TD inspiration.
We had intended on a London Broil and Hawaiian cut beef short ribs, but alas. Sunday is snowed/rained. Snained.
The sun just came out about an hour ago, so maybe tomite!

I decided against any bbq sauce on the chicken, and I am glad I did. I can taste the marinade and the Mesquite smoke is great. Two for two so far... YUM!

100_1533.JPG

132F internal on the brisket. Shooting for 165.

Have you ever smoked a corned brisket before? Almost picked one a few weeks ago but ended up going with a normal brisket. I'm curious to see how it turns out.

I've wanted to try actually corning a brisket for awhile but haven't gotten around to it yet. One of these days I'm going to give this recipe a shot.

Back