• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Cutworms

This little fellow suddenly died shortly after this photo was taken. He wont be feeding off of my little plants.

Cutworm_zps47018cc1.jpg

where there is one... you will likely find about 40.
ive delt with dozens of unseen and tiny horn worms with permethrin spray. i pulled like two huge ones off a plant , then i decided to spray...shook the plant shortly after real good, and you could see them falling out out the foliage.
its mind boggling how they go from like 'mike and ike' size... to the size of your index finger in a week.

Lots of good ideas on that thread. I have always placed sticks next to the plants over the years.

where there is one... you will likely find about 40.
ive delt with dozens of unseen and tiny horn worms with permethrin spray. i pulled like two huge ones off a plant , then i decided to spray...shook the plant shortly after real good, and you could see them falling out out the foliage.
its mind boggling how they go from like 'mike and ike' size... to the size of your index finger in a week.

Yes I just tilled the garden last Friday and started the first round of planting when I found the little plant eater. We have always had them but generally dont lose any plants each year. I have never seen a tomato horn worm in this garden but did have them when I lived in Missouri. The horn worms are evil.

Actually, the pic looked more like a wireworm... http://ento.psu.edu/extension/factsheets/wireworms I've had my fair share of problems with cutworms over the years, and the stick trick stops 'em cold.

Back