• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Truffle salt

It could make anything better, but I obviously don't put it on everything since it's worth its weight in silver practically.

Anyone else like truffle flavored stuff?

i have done several varieties of hot pepper salts but never truffle.. how do you do it? with mine i puree the peppers then mix it in and allow the salt to recrystallize with the peppers integrated into the crystal. It also keeps the hot chile powder from separating from the salt in a shaker

Hell yes. I`ve even found a small number of very small black ones in Scotland on an organised hunt using pigs. They are the most delicious fungus ever. I`ve eaten shavings of white truffles in Paris and holy crap, that is good.

I actually looked into seeing if I could grow a small plantation of innoculated trees in Southern California. Nope, way too dry. There is a company in Oregon that sells trees where the roots have been innoculated with the spore. If you grow a bunch you could get lucky and get a few!

Keep them separate. Salt and truffles. I still don't get flavored salts. Too easy to oversalt your meal if you want more truffle flavor. I only season in the cooking phase, rarely do I salt anything on the table.

Never had real truffles but i have had the flavored salt i didn't think it was anything special......I dunno only had it the one time. :confused:

I've been fortunate enough to know someone that hunts truffles, and therefore have had meals with fresh truffles on them. The flavor is so strong, but so good. I've never tried truffle salt, but I have truffle butter and truffle oil. I've noticed most the time when something is "truffle" flavored, and then you read the ingredients, they hit you with so many other kinds of shrooms before they had the shavings of truffle. So when you see 'truffle' on the packaging, make sure to check the ingredients.

Back