• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

overwintering Growing problems after winter

Hello.

The previous year I cultivated in pots about 7 hot pepper (variety habanero and bhut jolokia) and since there are not annual plants,I did not pull them out of pots.
I put 2 of them into my house to spend the winter while left the others on the balcony.
The point is that now the weather is warm and cold.
The peppers have turned out some leaves very small, unrelated to the big ones which had last year and some plants have 2-3 flowers and peppers, which do not developed normally and remain small.
This of course is not logical and probably is because of unstable weather.

What should I do in order to developed normally and produce peppers this year?
Do they want pruning?

Also, one plant that passed through the winter indoors,it starts making leaves but now I took it outdoors and stops producing new leaves and some of them is falling down.

Do I have to put it back indoors?

Thank you very much.

I suggest to trim the plant back and trim the roots as well as to pot it up. By doing all these things you are encouraging new growth. Or you can just wait it out and see what happens. When the temps warm up your plants will be more productive also.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. As long as your night time temperatures don't get below 10° C for too long they'll be okay. Sounds to me like they're just starting to wake up from the cold. As the weather gets warmer and stays warmer, you'll notice heavier leaf production, and they'll start to make normal pods again. One of my habanero plants lost all of its leaves during the winter. I didn't prune it at all. Almost all of the leaves have regrown now. The other plant is still making little winter pods, but I expect it to put out some normal pods any time now, as it is completely loaded with flowers

Back