• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking Deep Cleaning a Weber Kettle

I am the proud proud proud owner of a Weber Kettle.
The classic. (but it's the blue one, with the easy clean ash catcher and flippy grates)
It does it all.
Those of you who have one know what I'm talking about!

I've had it for 2 1/2 years, and it needs some TLC after vigorous use and SoFlo weather.

I need to do a deep clean. Does anyone have any tips or tricks before I get down and dirty?

The whole thing is covered in a coating of "seasoning", kinda gummy.
There are minor chips and chunks taken out of the lid from trying to move it in the rain whilst drunk.

Typical stuff.

Any advice would be very greatly appreciated!!!
I love my weber kettle, and I want it to be around for a long time!!!

FD

Well from my experience i sort of enjoy the seasoning on the webber, but when i have given it a rinse, bit of detergent and high pressure hose.

From some of the bbq forums, you either leave just the way it is, or you can let a good type of detergent/cleaner soak in for 20 mins and then scrub off

Thanks guys. I'll probably give it a scrub.
Sometimes a deep cleaning is in order.
I have plenty of time to get it good and nasty again!

Does anyone have any tips or tricks before I get down and dirty?

FD

My own weber sees a lot of use. To clean it I use the high heat method: Start a chimney full (to the tip top full) of coals. Once they are about halfway lit dump them in the grill. Open all bottom vents, spread the coals well and put the grill grate back on. When the rest of the coals catch fire, cover with the lid and make sure all vents on the lid are fully open. Let it burn like that till the coals are out. Then scrub the grates and interior with steel wool or a grill brush while the kettle is still warm - everything will come off pretty easily by that time. It's a 'waste' of a chunk of charcoal, but it will work real well without using harsh chemicals like oven cleaner or a pressure washer :)

Two words.... Easy Off. Spray it down really good, let it sit 5-10 minutes and hose it off. You'll be amazed...... and you will have to go through the enjoyment of seasoning it again. I used Easy Off last time I cleaned my smoker. Worked phenomenally

Back