• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

When should I expect flowers?

I have a Bhut that sprouted about two months ago. It's growing like crazy under HPS. Not that tall, but the 2nd and 3rd node's leaves are about 7.5" to 8". I've heard from the NMCPI that it usually takes upward of 5 months to flower, but is this true?

You should be getting flowers any time now. 2-3 months for first flowers ( usually) I got my first flowers in around 60-80 days

You should be getting flowers any time now. 2-3 months for first flowers ( usually) I got my first flowers in around 60-80 days

Any tips on pollination and how to make bigger/hotter pods once they flower? For my jalapenos I just dampened a Q-Tip, put on some Marvin Gaye and went to town.

Put a fan on em and the q-tip method you used works fine.
Pod heat depends on plant stress and the climate. The more stress and the hotter the climate, the hotter the pods will be.
You dont want to stress your plants to much! Just water them when they begin to wilt and you should have some hot pods. One more thing, by the time your plants flower you should have them outdoors, so you dont have to hand pollinate. You can just let nature do it for you. Unless you intend on just growing indoors.
Good luck.

Put a fan on em and the q-tip method you used works fine.
Pod heat depends on plant stress and the climate. The more stress and the hotter the climate, the hotter the pods will be.
You dont want to stress your plants to much! Just water them when they begin to wilt and you should have some hot pods. One more thing, by the time your plants flower you should have them outdoors, so you dont have to hand pollinate. You can just let nature do it for you. Unless you intend on just growing indoors.
Good luck.

They're going to be an indoor grow. I'm at university and neither the climate here nor the one at home will let the peppers live through winter. Is there any other way to stress the plant besides heat? Also, how much would extra Mg help with fruiting? I know it helps prevent flower dropping.

They're going to be an indoor grow. I'm at university and neither the climate here nor the one at home will let the peppers live through winter. Is there any other way to stress the plant besides heat? Also, how much would extra Mg help with fruiting? I know it helps prevent flower dropping.

I have just been using the tip of my finger to pollinate flowers and out seems to be working out ok. I have pods growing under mh right now! You can always deprive them of water to stress them and I've read you can tear the leaves to simulate "what the plant thinks is" a bug attack.

And just like that I have flowers! I checked the top node and they're there, more coming out of lower nodes. I guess all I needed to do was think about them for them to come out.

Back