I'm having a really hard time figuring this out (Florida)

Ok, so I understand what it takes to open a small business in my area and I have combed through the cottage food law, but I cannot find anywhere what licenses it takes to sell peppers online (dried, fresh, or seasoning mixes.) My next step is to call the local extension office, but i'd rather find it online first to go over it several times and understand it well, to avoid any future complications.

Thanks, Chris.

you need to do what your next step is!! call your local extension office.

but i can tell you just my situation. to sell just your fresh peppers all you need is a business licence. once you dry and mix or whatever you going to need lots of other things for it to be legit. for real your best bet is go down open a business license and ask them your questions because i promise you they will point you too all the places you need to drop your small but lots of fees to. good luck and keep us posted :dance:

Regulations are very different from place to place. And it's totally different if you're selling onlinve -v- locally at farmers markets, etc. So, as Sicman suggested, and contact your local health authorities first. They are the ones who will be regulating your operations and dictating what you will need, where to process, etc. I've "heard" that the cottage industry is only for items like sugar jams/jellies, baked fruit pies, candies, and pickled items. Pretty much everything else is off the table. But there again, it varies from state-to-state. Good Luck!

Don't start with the FDA. For most people, their licensing will be local first (county or state, it depends) Most don't need FDA licensing until they get into complicated sauces, etc.

you need to do what your next step is!! call your local extension office.

but i can tell you just my situation. to sell just your fresh peppers all you need is a business licence. once you dry and mix or whatever you going to need lots of other things for it to be legit. for real your best bet is go down open a business license and ask them your questions because i promise you they will point you too all the places you need to drop your small but lots of fees to. good luck and keep us posted :dance:

Sicman, refresh my memory, is there a website to apply for said business license? I don't need it right this second, but once I move to the parental's place, plant my peppers, and sell at the Farmer's Markets, I'll probably need it then, and I wanna get all my ducks in a row for it. And considering the peppers are considered produce, do you collect sales tax on them?

Sicman, refresh my memory, is there a website to apply for said business license? I don't need it right this second, but once I move to the parental's place, plant my peppers, and sell at the Farmer's Markets, I'll probably need it then, and I wanna get all my ducks in a row for it. And considering the peppers are considered produce, do you collect sales tax on them?

I gave U the link in #5

whether you "collect" sales tax or not. you will be paying the gov.
Regulations are very different from place to place. And it's totally different if you're selling onlinve -v- locally at farmers markets, etc. So, as Sicman suggested, and contact your local health authorities first. They are the ones who will be regulating your operations and dictating what you will need, where to process, etc. I've "heard" that the cottage industry is only for items like sugar jams/jellies, baked fruit pies, candies, and pickled items. Pretty much everything else is off the table. But there again, it varies from state-to-state. Good Luck!
in florida the cottage includes even powder. reason being is that you have handled a finished usuable product and you are selling it in weights. which in florida they need to inspect your scales every year also.

I don't think there is sales tax on food in Florida.........cooked and prepared food yes but not produce or raw food items...at our nursery we don't even charge sales tax on vegetable or herb plants including peppers...flora we do charge sales tax.

Back