• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! Combo de Mayo Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Hot Pepper

Founder
Admin
This is the Combo de Mayo Throwdown! One popular Mexican dish and one unique Mexican dish, both from the same region, on the same plate.

The idea is to take the popular (taco, enchilada, burrito, etc.), research where it is from in Mexico, and put it on a plate with an item we may not know about from that same region. The idea is to give us a slammin' combo plate with a version of something we all know, paired with something we have never seen before. We will leave the definition of popular up to you (but you have to already know of it for your staring point right?), and the unique has to be less popular. You have to post the history of both dishes, tying them to this particular region. As we know, there are many stories when it comes to food history, but as long as something is documented, it is enterable. Just tell us the story you researched.

Must be presented with a celebratory MEXICAN drink, even if it is Corona! Required for Cinco de Mayo, no excuses. You want to make a margarita with fresh juices to help your votes? Go for it.

Usually two pics is the limit so it's not cluttered, but for this we will allow three. Here's the suggested layout of the final post, but you can change the order.

Name of entry
Pic 1 - Combo plate and drink shown
drink explained
Pic 2 - Closeup of popular combo item
history, ingredients, cooking methods
Pic 3 - Closeup of unique combo item
history, ingredients, cooking methods

Exact measurements should be included so these dishes can be made by members, if you usually eyeball it, please give us an estimate.

If you choose to serve with with rice and beans or a side that is up to you, but just make sure everything is on one plate, that's how combo plates are served.

READ: The 5 Rules for an eligible entry

EXCEPTION: 3 pics allowed this time.

PoL: Cinco cents or pesos!

ENDS: Sunday 11:59 PM EDT

Back to town, GM! I have my shopping list compiled, will be posting teasers late this eve.

I hope everybody has JayTeed their entry!

Jay, you in on this? Or you gonna Marcie like Gadget?

Is Marcie gonna Marcie?

Is TB gonna TB?

Oh, that's a new one. It means replace meat with veg. Or "Throw Bacon" on the ground. TBing.

TB it?!?!?? :lol: That would be a Soyrizo taco! :sick: I'm done JayTeeing. Just waiting to got to town. Schedule got all messed up today. I should be cooking right now.... Aw well..... Interesting Ingredients, there Kybrd~ hunk-o-pork, achiote, crème de coco....I'm looking forward to what you have cooking!

Do they even have SoyRizo in Mexico????

Man I JayTd this crap out of this, and in the process have changed my region/dishes approximately 5 times.

Either way tequila will be good

Right On, Booma in da mix---

FAIL out of the gate!!! They don't sell Busch Light in Mexico!!! (just talking smack, maybe they do sell light bushes in MX)

[sub]well, maybe in tee-whah-nah they do. ;)[/sub]

FAIL out of the gate!!! They don't sell Busch Light in Mexico!!

They also don't sell "drugs".

Maybe you just haven't asked the right person for a Bush Light in mexico.
They can get you anything!

I told the lady at customs it was "just my 6 pack". She didn't bother to investigate further...

USA! USA!

That beer = FAIL!!

You watch your damn typing fingers, Joyner! I already went through this years ago...
Busch light is an acceptable part of the soflo repertoire.

And I love Nascar.
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back