• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

When's the latest?

Hey guys!
It's May 5 and most of my peppers are still seedlings.
I'd like to know long I can/have to keep them inside before moving them out.
I got a really late start on all my superhots and they are tiny and no where near ready.
I live in Southeast Michigan.
Thank you!

i moved mine outside on sunday, but much like you, they are still seedlings. i did harden them off for about a week to 10 days (ish). i started with 1 hr a day, 2 hrs, 3 hrs, 4 hrs, 6 hrs, 8 hrs, then eventually left them out overnight with no wilting. they went into the ground that very next day. i imagine being in the dirt sooner will encourage unimpeded root growth and they will really take off (hopefully)

This year yes! But outside could be a long shot! If you grow inside afterwards then yes.
Are the seedlings past true leaves stage? You might get some unripe pods outdoors, as well

The very first set of leaves are the cotelydons, the swcond set of leaves after the cotelydons are the true leaves

Still too cold to plant peppers. The soil should be at least 50 degrees and the plants hardened off for at least a week or more. If you try to put them in the sun too early or too long, you might fry them and their recovery will be longer than you want. It's been a wet and cold spring. Patience is a virtue than many of us do not possess. Your plants should be fine to plant in a few weeks and you'll get many pods to savor.

Back