Greetings from Virginia

After reading posts on here the last few days I decided to poke my head in and say hello. I'm Mason R. and I'm a chili head (waits for AA greeting). I'm working on my Ph.D. in organic chemistry, so I love reading through labels and understanding how chemicals like capsacium work biologically.

I'm working on trying many hotsauces, and keeping a spreadsheet on them so I know what I like about each one, don't like, heat, etc. I'd like to try to grow my own peppers sometime (maybe next year) and make my own sauce. I won't delude myself into thinking I'll ever sell the stuff though. There are just too many good hot sauces out there, and I could live with just being told I make good sauce.

I'll post other questions/comments in their appropriate forums. It's nice seeing a fun, cooperative community.

dreamtheatervt said:
After reading posts on here the last few days I decided to poke my head in and say hello. I'm Mason R. and I'm a chili head (waits for AA greeting). I'm working on my Ph.D. in organic chemistry, so I love reading through labels and understanding how chemicals like capsacium work biologically.

I'm working on trying many hotsauces, and keeping a spreadsheet on them so I know what I like about each one, don't like, heat, etc. I'd like to try to grow my own peppers sometime (maybe next year) and make my own sauce. I won't delude myself into thinking I'll ever sell the stuff though. There are just too many good hot sauces out there, and I could live with just being told I make good sauce.

I'll post other questions/comments in their appropriate forums. It's nice seeing a fun, cooperative community.

Cool. We need more organic chemists on this board, since we're woefully short of them. :lol:

Welcome aboard, Mason. We'll have to come up with a homework assignment or something for you....

- L & J

DEFCON Creator said:
As a homework assignment, have him cross a jalapeno with an agave root, and come up with a true Tequila Popper. :shock:

That sounds more like work for a plant biologist than a chemist. Sounds good though.

BTW, I give the homework now :lol: I'm pretty much done with the classwork, I just work on research and hopefully I'll pound out a dissertation someday. Actually, I'm going to talk to a professor who specializes in extraction about an alternative to ketone extractions that would be very cost effective on a large scale. Extraction really isn't my thing, but if I can patent my idea, maybe it will be.

Ahhh, Grasshopper, plants as well as all biological things are nothing more than a sack of chemicals held together by other chemicals. It just makes it a little harder to isolate the specific molecules needed to complete the assignment. :lol:

Tina Brooks said:
Oh looky! Another geek! Now it's gonna really get interesting!

Welcome dreamtheater!

T

You're just jealous of us geeks. :lol:

Or is it that you haven't come to the realization that we will eventually rule the world... 😉

LinNJoe said:
Tina Brooks said:
Oh looky! Another geek! Now it's gonna really get interesting!

Welcome dreamtheater!

T

You're just jealous of us geeks. :lol:

Or is it that you haven't come to the realization that we will eventually rule the world... 😉

LOL! You say that like I'm not one! hehe I don't know whether to be insulted or complimented.

dreamtheatervt said:

Welcome aboard. Wow. Someone that actually enjoys Organic Chem. to get a PhD in it.....

Just kidding. I'm in a fast-track pre-med program, and just finished my first semester of Org. Chem. I still don't have my grades, but I think I got either a low A or a high B in Org. Chem. It was a humbling experience. Fascinating subject, though. I really enjoy the synthesis aspect.

Anyway, welcome.

Back