• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Growing habaneros outside in the UK?

Hi,

I'm growing a number of chinense varieties and need to put them outside as they simply won't fit inside anymore (and are growing leggy an inconsistently anyway). Does anyone have experience with this? Can I get away with growing them outside without a greenhouse as I can't set one up in the garden.

My concern is the temperature range: right now ranges between 14-18 deg C (57-64F) max and 8-12 deg C (46-55F) min, and in mid summer be an average 22 deg C (72F) to 14 deg C (57F) min. This is a little low but the bigger worry is the large amounts of unpredictable rain we get, and potentially a bit of strong wind. Can these plants cope with lots of rain like we got last summer?

One solution might be to wrap plastic film around the surface of the pots to stop them getting too much water, and water them through a funnel instead.

Any thought's and opinions would be appreciated.

I have the same issue as you, i live in canada though but our outside temps are basically the same as you right now, my summer does get warmer then yours, but no greenhouse to put them in, i feel its too cold at night to be outside right now but this is only my first year growing.

I'm from Belgium and have the same weather as you, i'm also a first time grower.
But i had a huge storm last night,
and i just put my plants under a garden table (plastic) and they took no almost no rain.
Today ... they look perfect :)

Hi,

I'm growing a number of chinense varieties and need to put them outside as they simply won't fit inside anymore (and are growing leggy an inconsistently anyway). Does anyone have experience with this? Can I get away with growing them outside without a greenhouse as I can't set one up in the garden.

My concern is the temperature range: right now ranges between 14-18 deg C (57-64F) max and 8-12 deg C (46-55F) min, and in mid summer be an average 22 deg C (72F) to 14 deg C (57F) min. This is a little low but the bigger worry is the large amounts of unpredictable rain we get, and potentially a bit of strong wind. Can these plants cope with lots of rain like we got last summer?

One solution might be to wrap plastic film around the surface of the pots to stop them getting too much water, and water them through a funnel instead.

Any thought's and opinions would be appreciated.

Your Summer sounds like our Winter, with quite a bit less rain. :lol:

I know, sucks really, but personally I don't think I'd cope well with Arizona summers either. Mediterranean weather is the best in my opinion.

I think I will try a few and see how they fare. I've bought a small pop up greenhouse for my prize plants, but growing them in my parents house in leafy Surrey so cant install a big greenhouse in their very-much ornamental garden. My flat in London has no garden or roof terrace (outdoor spaces in central London are the reserve of the super rich in general!)

Hi Jonny, yeah last summer was such a pile of wank wasn't it. I tried growing a few habs (amongst other varieties) and they grew but didn't put out any pods at all. I had a few plants in the plastic greenhouse and they all did alot better than their counterparts outside. Had a moruga that was about 3 x the size and about 10 x more productive.

I'd say the greenhouse is an absolute must especially for the habs. Mine was about £30 last year but they seem to have gone up quite a bit recently so you might be looking at almost double that.

Thanks for the advice Mamsoth. It's my first year growing chillies and most people on this site have more appropriate weather than us for this hobby. I've just bought and installed a pop up little tomato greenhouse. £8 from Morrisons which I was impressed at!. I've turned it sideways because the chinense's don't get tall and lanky like tomatoes do, so on its side it's 1m tall, 1.5m wide and 0.5m deep which is perfect at the moment for 5 or 6 of my larger plants. Got a bigger pop up one that I'm going try and put up if I can convince the rents; will try one greenhouse at a time.

Will still try some outside anyway. I have far too many to keep them all in a greenhouse. Just one of those things you work out from experience, didn't realise quite how much space they end up taking up, and can't bring myself to cull them as they all look pretty healthy.

seeing as only a few weeks ago you had snow in the UK, id go with using a greenhouse! even if its just a cheap plastic thing. the sun is weak in England and it never gets too warm (particularly in the past few years).

jonnyb said:
Thanks for the advice Mamsoth. It's my first year growing chillies and most people on this site have more appropriate weather than us for this hobby. I've just bought and installed a pop up little tomato greenhouse. £8 from Morrisons which I was impressed at!. I've turned it sideways because the chinense's don't get tall and lanky like tomatoes do, so on its side it's 1m tall, 1.5m wide and 0.5m deep which is perfect at the moment for 5 or 6 of my larger plants. Got a bigger pop up one that I'm going try and put up if I can convince the rents; will try one greenhouse at a time.Will still try some outside anyway. I have far too many to keep them all in a greenhouse. Just one of those things you work out from experience, didn't realise quite how much space they end up taking up, and can't bring myself to cull them as they all look pretty healthy.

I know what you mean mate. I started about 40 plants last year and didn't really have the space but I couldn't bring myself to get rid of any. I'm only growing half that this year but I reckon I'll get better results. Got a few varieties of aubergines and strawberries in there to.

Back