• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Pete Maws' 2013 Glog

Hi,

My 2013 growing season is starting off on shaky ground, but hopefully the New England weather will warm up so I can get some huge plants from my overwintered survivors, select some nice F2 hybrids in my breeding attempts, and make more interesting crosses. Holding me back for the time being is a lot of shade (huge oak tree) in the backyard and somewhat limited space/resources. I’m also having to start seeds late and without dependable heat. Despite their being in a very cool basement, I was able to overwinter plants under 4 T8 lights. (Wish I had a warm window in addition to the lights, but that will have to wait). There was a aphid explosion and then flies and mold fed off the aphid waste. I finally controlled the aphids and most of plants pulled though. For a few weeks now, they've been outside during the day (mostly 60’s temperatures) and inside at night with a few extra hours of lights. Now some are looking anywhere from a little limp to a quite sick as you'll see below. Could it be too much water? There was heavy rain last week right after I upped their watering. I had been keeping them fairly dry over the winter.

Overwintered plants:

annuums:
3x chiltepin Sonoran orange
"PRGW" = Puerto Rican generic hot pepper x goat’s weed (the Puerto Rican pepper was probably “large thick cayenne” or similar).

chinense:
2x CAP 691
1 large red 7 pot (my only superhot started last year and seems to be deceased as of a few days ago).

The above chinense were started very late last summer, suffered greatly over the winter from the aphids and mold and then, just as winter was ending, I let them dry out – fortunately at least one of the CAP 691's is recovering.

frutescens:
3x Bradley’s Bahamian - got these as bonus seeds from Pepper Lover and they seem to be nice plants; overwintered well and have dark leaves, a trait I like.
2x Malagueta – got them as a hotter, earlier and darker-leaved alternative to tabasco (though the Bradley’s are darker, seem hardier and are supposedly very early for a frutescens).
1 large tabasco - stems are still green but it may be dead (it was brought in mainly for ripening pods last fall).

Other:
3x “ABCD” - Aji dulce (chinense) x annuum cross – these plants looked very like the Aji dulce mom at first, except more compact. Thought they were all chinense til they got bigger and had fruit. The fruit was much, much hotter than I expected and the winter leaves are much smaller. None of the winter fruit had a lot of seeds, but I hope to get a bunch of F2 seeds soon. I did outcross the first pod last fall and got some seeds. “Plant A” seemed the best last year (maybe had slightly more buds than others) and still looks great, but suddenly the other 2 plants have wilted.
Blue Mystery from Pepper Lover – was a free bonus that I really liked and the plant was the healthiest through most of the winter, but something happened to it in the past few days so it may be on its way out.

Recently sown seeds:
Superhot chinense:
Monster naga – hope this grows fast, like the regular nagas did for me in PR.
Bhut red
Brain Strain
Large red 7 pot
Other chinense:
Datil
Wild Brazil
Bode

Hybrids:
25x PRGW from best plant – will select fuzziest plants, then earliest flowers/fruit, then shape and taste (F1’s didn’t taste much better than goat’s weed); Not a really special cross, but I’m going for a cayenne-like fruit on a pubescent plant that overwinters well; a “Fuzzy Cayenne”. Hopefully I’ll get that black to red fruit trait as well from goat’s weed.
Also Growing a few tabasco x habanero – I know this cross has been done many times, but maybe I can use these as a “bridge” for some later crosses.

Here are some pictures I took today (bear in mind that these were started late last summer and overwintered in far less than ideal conditions):

Chiltepin Sonoran orange:

Does anyone know if the above is good choice to put in one of my largest containers? Chiltepins can get huge; correct? Would it grow significantly in it's second season?

Bradley's Bahamian:

A recovering CAP 691:

Sickly CAP 691 - they both had shriveled, but this one grew back light-colored leaves and then the leaves started curling up yesterday:

Healthy "ABCD" pepper:

A sickly ABCD:

Thanks for looking and let me know if you have ideas about the sick plants. I just checked the weather forecast and it will indeed warm up (80's !) so hopefully I'll get to repotting and see some germination.

Thanks and I hope so Prehensile. I want to see some huge plants like I had in the tropics. Also, nice profile picture; your frog and snake beat out my lizard!

Most of my overwinters have been repotted starting late last week and are now staying outside.  They are appreciating it, especially the tepins (Chiltepin Sonoran Orange: "CSOs"), Bradley's Bahamians and the CAP 691s.  The healthier of the two 691s is taking off; it's pretty tough for such a small plant.  Hopefully going into larger pots and using a nice thick layer of coffee grounds (been saving them for much of the winter) as mulch will keep skunks and other animals from rooting around for bone meal and eggshells and digging up my plants like they did last year.  No seeds up yet in my rubbermaid mini-greenhouse.  The PRGWs and the aji dulce crosses are producing tons of flower buds which I'm mostly picking off for now.

Here are the overwinters, with the larger pots labeled:

The malagueta above is hiding behind the pruned PRGW (which was cut back after it dried out in the basement) and its newer leaves are less yellow then what you can see.  I want to compare the malagueta to the Bradley's as a tabasco alternative and I may buy a new tabasco later as I tossed out the old one to make room.  The last 2 plants that went into bigger pots yesterday are below -

Hopefully I'll get a Datil and at least one superhot going soon; if not, they'll at least be a part of next year's overwinters.

Pete Maws said:
Thanks and I hope so Prehensile. I want to see some huge plants like I had in the tropics. Also, nice profile picture; your frog and snake beat out my lizard!
I actually took that picture,  the Cuban Tree frog almost got away, it was a 20 minute ordeal and Mr Black was fat after it.

It's great that you came across that scene and got that picture!  I do a bit of nature photography as another hobby.  I enjoyed getting pics of my peppers with tropical bugs and reptiles as extras while living in PR.  Was lucky that there were so many baby anoles around that took up residence on my goat's weed peppers.  I have better camera equipment now (though I need a new macro setup), but less opportunities for reptile shots with my plants.  No rat snakes (or is it a racer?) up here, but I could stage a few pics with my corn:

On another note, the weather was so wet and cold this weekend here in Mass.  The rain was needed, but all the water and cold on my recently repotted plants with relatively small root systems really worried me.  The wind wasn’t great either.  Yesterday morning I found the Bradley’s Bahamian that I was so happy with all wilted.  I brought it in along with the Cap 691’s (tiny but one already has buds!), the pruned goat’s weed cross and some yet to be repotted extras.  That Bradley’s has bad luck; it was a backup that I waited to repot later last summer and it ended up looking better than all my other plants at the time.  As soon as I repotted it, the same kind of raw wet weather came in and it got root rot and almost died.  It was barely a green stick through most of the winter and only came back to life recently.  Anyway, I wish I had brought all the movable plants in earlier as it and the others made a great recovery during the day under lights in my basement.  It’s been dropping a few leaves, but seems like it will be fine as will the plants I had to leave outside.  The Aji dulce crosses actually took the raw weather the best, just like they did last fall.  None of my seeds are up yet, but I found a nice Bhut at a local garden center yesterday and I potted it up this evening – pics tomorrow.  Though it’s not quite my first choice for a superhot, I should be able to get some fruit and make some crosses with it this summer.  They were also selling Trinidad Scorpions, but the leaves looked awfully small for a chinense.  Then again, I’ve only grown Trinidad Congos and one baby 7 pot.

Some pictures from today -

Here's my new Bhut; potted up yesterday.  It's my only superhot at the moment:

Here's the tiny CAP 691 with some buds:

Here's the still a bit yellow malagueta:

Hi all,

So I visited PR for a week plus just after repotting almost all my plants.  I knew that, for the first few days after I left, MA would be in the 90’s. (It was actually cooler in PR!).  Other than that, I wasn’t too concerned about losing my established plants since it had been rainy and they had done well in the one day of hot weather before I left.  I returned this weekend to find that, except for losing the first 2 or 3 of my cayenne x goat’s weed F2 sprouts, my plants had flourished and I finally have a datil seedling:

Other than a superhot (and I was able to find a bhut plant), the datil is the variety of this year’s new seeds that I was most excited about growing; so it was a pleasant surprise.  I’ll see how far it gets before overwintering.

Another pleasant surprise is that this aji dulce -

- was my only pepper plant still alive in PR.  I bought it in a 4” pot in a supermarket in the fall of 2011.  I had repotted it to a much larger pot than pictured shortly before I left.  It survived despite no feeding or pest control (the neighborhood is infested with broad mites).  It happens to have been my favorite plant (has a nice form, is productive, has scorpion-tailed fruit which taste like raspberries with the slightest touch of capsaicin).  It was clinging to life but had around 4 green unripe fruits.  I weeded the pot, freshened-up its soil, added new coffee grounds and waited until the last possible moment of the trip to open the ripest-looking pod.  I got 10-11 viable-looking seeds which didn’t shrivel or darken and are now in a safe and dry place.  So I can hopefully continue the line!

Here are updated pictures of my overwintered hybrids.  The two on the left are aji dulce x annuum and the rest are cayenne x goat’s weed:

Here's the "big" CAP 691:

Here are 3 Bradley’s Bahamians: 

They are supposed to be early producers but are not flowering yet (although they look great).  The one on the left looks a little different.  It could be a malagueta as a skunk dug up most of my seedlings last year, but I doubt it as my confirmed malagueta differs even more.

And here’s a pic of my bhut:

As you can see, I’m already doing new crosses but there's some bud drop on most of my plants.  The weather has cooled a bit again.   However, one Sonoran orange tepin is flowering and seems to be setting fruit.  Other new plants on my grow list are some Portugal Hots I got with the bhut.

Thanks for looking!

[SIZE=9.5pt]Here's a quick update:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=9.5pt]It's finally hot so the plants are taking off (well most are) and pods are setting.  The datil seedling took forever to get its first true leaves but it’s now happening.  A monster naga seedling has joined it and an F2 cayenne x goat's weed is also growing.  My 1st batch of F2s were planted in heavy commercial garden soil and a bunch of seedlings hooked, but their caps were stuck in the soil and rotted.  The one survivor may be tough, but it does not show any of the fuzziness of the goat's weed grandpa yet. Been doing lots of crosses but pollen was in short supply on some plants (especially the chinenses) until recently.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=9.5pt]Some pics:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=9.5pt]The same four hybrids as in my previous post: [/SIZE]
[SIZE=9.5pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=9.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=9.5pt]The aji dulce x annuum on the left is yellower and slower than the one in in the green pot for some reason (same soil mix).  There is a third one in a larger pot that is taking off.   Also, on at least one plant, there were a bunch of flowers that had 2 pistils and conjoined ovaries earlier in the season.  Their annuum father was a strange plant in that it had at least double flower stems - 1 stem per node, but these stems forked to have multiple flowers.  I'm hoping to see this trait if I get any F2s and I'm wondering if the odd flowers were a sign of this trait being carried or just something you see in cooler weather, etc.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=9.5pt]Here is an aji dulce x annuum pod (crossed with a Chiltepin Sonoran Orange):[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9.5pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=9.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=9.5pt]Here are the tepin’s pods (also crossed):[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9.5pt][/SIZE]

There is something strange going on with some of the older(?) leaves on this plant as you can see in the picture.  They are mottled with transparent areas.  I hope it's not a virus.  Interestingly, something like 2/5 tepin seedlings had three cotyledons, including this plant.
[SIZE=9.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=9.5pt]The pruned cayenne x goat’s weed is looking nice and setting fruit:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9.5pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=9.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=9.5pt]And finally the CAP 691 with its tiny flowers:[/SIZE]

Bye!
[SIZE=9.5pt][/SIZE]

Plants and pics look great, good luck with your 2013 grow and hope you have a bumper crop! Super pic of your snake, keep up dat great grow!

Thank you WalkGood!  Hopefully it will be a good summer and I'll get that bumper crop from my overwinters and maybe a few bhuts as well.  I hope that my seedlings will get far as well.   Wish I had a longer growing season like you do in Florida;  I miss the year-round growing I had in PR.  Just checked out your blog - nice pics as well.  Those Jamaican Scotch Bonnets are beautiful - intense color and great shapes.  The pics of the ladybug babies eating the eggs are cool as well.

Thanks Mike,

Nice plants/pictures in your glog as well!  I almost got Quintishos at one point, but read they can be tricky to grow.  Yours look great and I see you like them - guessing they are easy for you?  How do they taste?  I ended up getingt bodes instead, but I've never gotten them to germinate.  CAP 691 was my replacement small chinense, but it's probably a wilder type, very small and not yellow.  it's very tough actually, but its tiny flowers will make it challenging to emasculate for crosses.  Now at least it's finally producing noticeable amounts of pollen.  I also had a Wild Brazil seedling that survived seed cap surgery, but it seems to be rotting away now.  Hope more seeds come up and I get a small yellow chinense finally! 

Hi all,

Well, the weather was really warm and wet and then there was a heat wave.  It was good because the plants took off and managed to set pods, bad because it's been buggy (leaf-eating beetles, mostly Anomala orientalis, I think) and because I had the flu and no AC.

I'm better and it was nice today so here are the plants:

First a pic of the same 4 overwintered hybrids as in my earlier posts:

You can see the pods getting bigger.   That one aji dulce cross on the left is still kind of yellow, I gave it calcium-rich tomato food and Epsom salt.

Here is a picture of one of the aji dulce cross pods (I crossed it with my other hybrid, the cayenne x goat's weed, since there were no selfed pods setting for a while and I want "fuzzy" chinense-types anyway):

The following is a picture of the biggest of my aji dulce crosses.  It's finally setting pods that may be selfed.  If so, this will become my "aji dulzana" line.  If possible, I want plants with orange pods, good fruity taste (both parents are known for it),  that are early and cold-tolerant and that have a mostly chinense plant form (even if  the line ends up being more than 50% annuum).  I originally wanted something with  jalapeño  heat or less, but that may be difficult to get as the F1's fruit have been unexpectedly hot.  If I get lucky (and the initial cross is what I think it is), I may be able to get a large number of fruit per node in later generations:

Here are pics of the fruit of 2 different cayenne x goat's weed plants.  The 2nd plant  has blacker fruit (on top) and is probably receiving more sun.  Hopefully I'll get even fuzzier plants with larger fruit that blackens easier in my F2's.  I'm outcrossing already to some Hot Portugals to get some plants with the cayenne taste and fruit size and that will hopefully have some darkening of the fruit and pubescence

Here is a Sonoran tepin on the left (the dark-green pods curl down, extremely pretty plants) and a CAP 691 on the right.  A wild annuum and a wild chinense:  

To be continued......

Here's the rest:

[SIZE=9.5pt]From clockwise bottom left are CAP 691, malagueta and Bradley's Bahamian:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9.5pt]The frutescens are finally flowering and setting fruit (at least the Bradley's):[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9.5pt]The Bahamian’s flowers are smaller than last year’s Tabasco.  I tried crossing it with CAP 691, nothing yet.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9.5pt]Here are all three of my Sonoran Tepins (orange) with my foot for a size reference:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9.5pt]The one in the big pot exploded with growth during the last 2 weeks.  I love their form and I suspect they have some mixing either with a domestic [/SIZE]annuum[SIZE=9.5pt] or something else, though I'm no expert.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9.5pt]Here's the Bhut:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9.5pt]It has set only 2 pods so far.  It's also taking the brunt of the beetle attacks and is a bit yellowish (same treatment as above).  The beetles have chewed off a few potential pods.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9.5pt]Here are my only surviving seedlings of this year (so far) -[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9.5pt]Datil:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9.5pt]Monster naga:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9.5pt]They've been slow, and I worry because (a beetle?) something decapitated an F2 cayenne x goat's weed seedling, but hopefully they'll take off and be good for overwintering.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9.5pt]Thanks for the likes and comments for the previous update and hope this one is interesting![/SIZE]

Hello again!

Finally a new heat wave broke today after 7 or 8 days!  The peppers did well and the tepins and Bradley's Bahamian set pods happily despite the high night temps.  I think the aji dulce crosses set a decent amount as well though I'm not convinced they're selfing or making good pollen.  I'm going to place one of those crosses in the backyard to semi-isolate it. (I know miles are needed to be sure of true isolation, but I'll check if it can make a good number of pods by itself.)   I only had to water the plants maybe 2-3 times even though there wasn't much rain during the heat wave.  The tepins especially didn't care. Since I added some ferts, the bhut is getting a bunch of new greener growth and hopefully more flowers soon.   Beetles are still eating leaves and cutting of flowers and young pods, so I'm now protecting some of my young plants from possible maimings.

The heat did help to germinate some seedlings at a decent pace.  I sowed seeds for overwintering on 7/11 and they started coming up on 7/18.  I did no treatments prior to sowing, since I think my technique has been off this year with too much soaking in H2O2 and/or lime juice, drowning them in water and cooking under plastic.  Just popped them in re-used seed starter and hoped the heat would do the trick on my shady porch.  So far I have 2 more datils (backups to below) and a Brain Strain.  For some reason these all have their seed caps still on, but I "operated" very carefully to split the caps' edges and I think the leaves will push through.  

Also 2 aji dulces came up, which I'm very excited about as they are from a terrific tasting and tough mother plant!  The pod I got them from must have have been just ripe enough (still green).  Here they are:

Here's my older datil that was 1 of 2 seeds out of about 50 that survived cool spring weather and then being cooked  under my Rubbermaid "greenhose":

The above seedlings are being protected from decapitation from beetles using old mesh bags that I bought garlic in.

Here is the other seedling to survive my earlier attempts, a monster naga:
:

The monster naga looks quite different than the datil despite being the same species.  It also seems to be growing a bit slower.

Here is my first ripening pod!  It's from a cayenne x goat's weed F1 plant.  It didn't go black first as it was somewhat shaded:

The nicest looking Chiltepin Sonoran Orange is full of pods:

I can't wait to see the above plant covered in ripe orange pods.  I wonder if birds will go for them?

Bradley's Bahamian:

I really like the Bradley's so far.  They are much more compact plants than the Tabasco was or the malagueta is and have richer green leaves.  They seem to be earlier as well for a frutescens (though they are overwinters).  If they taste as good as they look, they'll probably become my goto small chili for stir-fries and soups.  Their only weakness  seems to be cold damp weather - though having been recently repotted may have made it worse for them .  The malagueta is also doing well now, but has yet to flower; it maybe has some tiny buds forming.

CAP 691 pods up close:

And finally one of my two non-Capsicum nightshades - my Marglobe tomato is flowering:

It's also quite fuzzy, and I like that.

Some ripe pods soon, I hope!

- Tick

Hi Tick
   I just found your glog and paged through tonight... your wild strains are looking great. Wishing you continued success with your grow this year!

Hi Stickman,

Thanks for writing!  While lurking,  I had checked out you glog before.  I was impressed that a fellow MA pepper grower already had so many ripe pods!  You have lots of interesting annuums and your superhots are looking nice and so far along as well! 

As for my wilds, I had a new addition as of this morning.   A Wild Brazil just hooked from my 2nd batch of seeds.  Hopefully it won't be capped and will grow and overwinter well.  It should be a nice wild chinense to contrast with the CAP 691s. 

Good luck with you plants as well and hope this season runs long in MA.

- Tick

More ripening cayenne x goat's weed F1 - going from sort of chocolate to reddish-orange (during the winter they simply went green to red):

Wild Brazil sprout, thankfully no seed cap stuck on this time:

Here comes a nice thunderstorm - bye!

Tick

Ripening is picking up!

Here's the runt of my 4 F1 cayenne x goat's weed plants:

Green, black, brown and really bright red pods on one plant.  The chocolate brown surprised me, as I didn't notice it when I grew either parent. However, after an image search for goat's weed, it looks like sometimes goat's weed pods can transition to brown. This was the slowest of my F1s last year and it is still scraggly (though it is in the smallest pot), but I think it may use it for F2s because of its slightly earlier ripening and the color.  

Here is the biggest (though not my favorite) Chiltepin Sonoran Orange:

Its pods are starting to ripen too:

Since they're not orange yet does anyone have an opinion on harvesting seeds now?  Some of these are crosses and I want to start seeds in the warm weather ASAP for overwinters, however I also don't want to lose undeveloped seeds as they're small pods.  

One pod is ripening on an aji dulce cross:

Again, is it ripe enough for full seed development?  Last winter the few small pods on the plants turned orange-red (mostly 0-2 seeds per pod).  I could also wait on this since it's not one of my more desired/planned crosses.  It's crossed with cayenne x goat's weed so it has 4 grandparents.   However, I could get lucky and get seedlings with some goat's weed fuzziness combined with better flavor and a few chinense traits.

Thanks,

Tick 

Back