• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Jamaican Hot Chocolate not germinating

I germinated a bunch of seeds this year and always more than I really want to make sure I get enough plants. I was pretty excited about the jamaican hot chocolates as I have heard great things about their unique smoky flavor but not one germinated. It has been 43 days and everything else germinated my last Bulgarian carrot popped up at 28 days. Do I give up? Is it possible that Jamaican Hot Chocolates prefer cooler germination temps that the rest of the hot peppers? I got them from Tomato Growers Supply and emailed them about it but still no response. Although I am sure they get this all the time. Are they just old seeds?

Thanks for your help.

Start some new ones if you have them. Id just let them be and see what happens

If you needbmore seeds, send me a sasbe and I will send you seeds

If you needbmore seeds, send me a sasbe and I will send you seeds

The only problem with that is I won't have time to grow them anymore after two more weeks of germination. I am in Montana so I will be lucky if I can still grow outdoors in early september. I just checked... I do have 4 more seeds I will give them a shot. Any special scarification techniques I should use?
Oh and I have not given up on the old ones, but my hope is dwindling.

You can always grow them inside if you want, under lights. I dont know if thats an option for you? But many people grow indoors

Space is the issue... I did bring some smaller thai and cayenne plants in at the end of the season last year an put them by a south facing window. It was a nice extension to the season. I don't have room for a light/ growing setup. Even our closets are packed to the rim. I do plan on bringing some inside. I have several 10 gallon buckets for outside but also some smaller pots for growing some little guys that I can bring in easily. I do use the Cayenne's most so I'll probably bring them inside and maybe a small Congo Trinidad or Fatali. The thai's are very pretty though with sometime purple peppers and they grow straight up from the plant which is decorative.

Some batches of seeds don't germinate for whatever reason.  I sewed 6 seeds each of 60 varieties this season (mostly chinense)... some of the had 6/6 germ (the anuums), most had between 50 and 70 percent germination, a few only had one seedling survive, and I had 7 out of those 60 varieties yield 0% germination (even after multiple attempts).  Two of those 7 varieties that did not germinate were old seeds (2+ years) that had not been refrigerated.  The other 5 were from reputable vendors.  Just contact the people who sold you the seeds and explain the situation.  They will usually refund you or send a replacement (sometimes with bonus stufff for the hassle).

I had issues last season with my bought seeds and this season again with my own saved seeds. Easily 45 to 60 days before they germinated. I know my own seeds came from mature pods, i even let a bunch of pods overripen just for seeds. Only choc bhut seeds took longer, one popping at over 100 days recently even. Seems common with those two, to take forever and ever.
They are super yummy pods! Hope one pops soon for you. They are worth the wait!

Back