• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Seabird guano vs. AACT question

Hi there folks,

I recently bought some seabird guano (right from the horse's mouth, as its being forrested in the north of chile) and here is the analysis ...

4C167006-orig_zps9bad451c.jpg

there are 2 aspects that strike me as odd given its 2-15-2 nature:

first: 
the very low N value ... thats ok with me, its just I have seen way higher values on the internet... might be a local thing, e.g. N got washed out of the deposits over the decades 

2nd:
it contains 0.3% sulphur and Cu as well ... so the package even talks about it being a soft fungicide.

• wouldnt that FUBAR all AACT that I'd be cooking with the guano?
  • also, if I'd drain it into the soil, wouldnt this kill all my pampered mycos?
  • given the information on the packaging, should I only foliar feed?

how are you guys managing this "contratiction"? or doesnt your SeaB.G. contain S and Cu?

thx for sharing your thoughts
Al

I am not worried about NPK ... I am somewhat worried about the 0.3% sulphur and copper in it that serves as fungicide (says so on the packaging) ... and therefore I am quite hesitent to put it into my AACT, as it seems to be killing the very funghi/mycos I try to propagate with the AACT...

same with the mycos I already got going

487AA64F-orig_zpsb374533a.jpg

would be bummed out if i'd loose those - thats why I currently only use it as foliar feed

cheers and thx for sharing your thoughts!
Al

Those roots are sexy...fungus pr0n!

As for the seabird guano, the analysis looks more like a micronutrient supplement than a fertilizer. I would use that in small quantities for all the minerals, sulfur, etc. and get bulk NPK from some other source.

Pepper-Guru said:
First of all. Why are you making an actively aerated compost tea with bird guano rather than compost? AACT's aren't fertilizers. Guano is. 

Secondly. Once you make an AACT correctly, do I think your guano will hurt your micro herd? No :)
Well said Guru. Why do people think they can make AACT better by adding all these other ingredients?
They are trying to turn it into snake oil not good science. AACT is like compost on steroids, nothing more.

PepperWhisperer said:

As for the seabird guano, the analysis looks more like a micronutrient supplement than a fertilizer. 

All high quality sources of organic fertilizer will contain various micro and macro nutrients. I'd love to have a bucket full of that Chilean nug!

Back