• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

What hybrids do you intend to try and create this season?

Being my first season, I figure I may as well try and have some fun towards the end of it and attempt a hybrid. I've pretty much already decided what it's going to have to be too, just for the name sake alone.

Yellow Brain x Peach ghost. The Ghost Brain!

I know tons of people on here try to cross things, so what's everyone else attempting?

I`ll try both ways, Bell as pollen-donor or pollen-receptor. 

Large bell pepper x 7-pot barrackpore
Large bell pepper x Jay`s Peach Ghost Scorpion
Large bell pepper x Yellow 7-pot

Got a fast flowering and pod setting plant of unsure parentage. (Came in a package of Bolivian Rainbow seeds)
Grows upright pods that ripen to carrot orange, and tastes like a hot carrot.
I know I will cross it with a Reaper, as it is so slow to mature---what others I havent decided yet.

I've been trying to crosspolinate hab naranja picante with cherio do norte both ways...

If I had both peter penis pepper and monkeyface I would sure try to cross those too and no doubt what I would call it... Lol...

Last year I bought a box of Yellow Brain Strain peppers and about 3 out of 30 were VERY hot. The hottest pepper tasted different than anything else I have ever tried. It was just as hot as a red Brain Strain and it had a predominant yellow taste, but also had a secondary red taste mixed in. Its hard to explain, but it was a blending of the two colors, in taste. I took seeds from that particular pepper and have made 8 plants that I am testing for heat and taste. If one of these 8 plants don't produce any peppers with this same taste, I think I am going to back cross the best yellow with red brain pollen to see if I can get something with more of the red taste but still having the yellow colored pods.

Not sure exactly but I'd like to take some bigger peppers and cross them with smaller peppers as to create a mini variety like the tepinXjalapeno.

I like the idea of chocolate hab/scoth bonnet x red trini scorpion.  Also chocolate hab/scotch bonnet x 7 Pot Jonah

And then........cumari or quintisho x yellow trini scorpion (yellow mutant not CARDI yellow scorpion) - should be a nice fruity blend.

I will be starting two breeding projects this year. I will be trying to breed variegation into a Bhut Jolokia line, and I will be trying to breed the transition gene into a Bhut Jolokia line (green to yellow to orange to red). It will be at least two years before I see any results as neither variegation nor transition genes will show themselves in the F1.

Have crossed my 2 current favorites Lemon Drop x Chocolate Habanero. First flowers on OW plants this spring.
Had one sprout that died because the seed cap was stuck, and 3 seeds that did not sprout. Trying again. Got 37 seeds total ...

I get enough accidental crosses as it is I'm pretty sure I have a Bishop Hat X C. praetermissum and a possible Jalapeño X Ghost, but I won't hold my breath as its hard for a C. chinense to cross with a C. annuum, but who knows maybe I'll get lucky. As I ran out of space My lone red Primo had to share its space with a red Brain Strain the trick will be to keep them and other from crossing as I want to get as much pure Primo and Brain Strain as I can I will most likely have to bag my plants to keep them from crossing.

I grew too many plants this year and have been slowly cutting back and destroying some, especially if they get infested with aphids. I thought I had far more room available to me than I actually did. Unfortunately the only white habanero plant I managed to grow died when I took it outside, it rained and I think a bird landed on it. I picked it up and the plant snapped off. It was fruiting as well. I had loads of plans for hybridising the white habanero. I wanted to know what would happen if you cross it with a chocolate habanero. Would you get a beige habanero? A hearing-aid brown habanero? I also tried crossing it with a red lantern.

The superhots are coming on OK though so when I eventually get some flowers that survive I will be pollinating the Brain strains, Butch T's, Naga Vipers and Chocolate Bhut Jolokias, although may be not so much those ones because they really suffer from the aphids.

I have a single surviving Lemon habanero (the online site I bought them from, chileseeds.co.uk, also sells yellow habaneros seeds and I am not sure what the difference is). This plant is now fruiting and I am using the pollen on a Butch T and Chocolate Bhut Jolokia which are on the same window ledge.

Unfortunately we're suffering from Scottish weather at the moment in Bavaria and all the leaves are falling off the plants stored outside on the balcony.

F1 7PJPN (7 pot Jonah x pimenta da neyde) x black pearl

F1 7PJPN x bhut devil (bhut jolokia cross with some other naga)

F1 7PJPN x F3 SB7J

F1 7PJPN x peach ghost scorpion

F1 7PJPN x ghost scorpion

F1 7PBD (7 pot x F2 bhut devil) x F2bhut devil

F3 SB7J x yellow Scotch bonnet

I'll probably do a lot more and try interspecific crosses.

I didn't intentionally do it, but I've got two F1's which are datil x besler's cherry that overwintered.

I am growing f2s of an accidental cross between Bonda ma Jackques and golden bullet. I also have what appears to be a cross between Bonda ma Jackques and a large annuum.

I have experience with emasculating and crossing tomatoes and should try some peppers this year. Mariachi x Arledge (flavorful early hi-yielding annuums), and Yummy x Chablis (sweet) would be two I'd like to see.

Back