• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

NorwegianChili - 2013

Hey guys. I bet 99.99% of you have better conditions than me, but I try and it
Results in some good plants. Any tip how to get the cats not to nibble on the indoor plants leaves?

This year I'm doing late, but ongoing, this list (Still more to be added) ;

"Naga Morich"
"Cayenne" 
"Thai"
"Giant African Naga"
"Trinidad Marouga Scorpion"
"7 pot"
"Trinidad Butch-T Scorpion"
"Trinidad Scorpion"
"Fatilii"
"Bhut Jolokia"
"African Naga red"
"Habanero condors Beak"
"Habanero Chocolate
"Satans kiss"
"Mem Jolokia"
"Bhut jolokia chocolate"
"Yolo Wonder"
"Currant Sweet Pea tomato"

Not so much exciting pictures yet.

8759726614_79c97bc8b3_z_d.jpg

Great list and great success in your grow. You are not alone, I have a friend that grows excellent in Vienna Austria, plus IIRC there are others in your area that have posted in THP. Can't wait to see da pics :)

Nice looking list, looking forward to the glog!

I assume you mean keep the cats from nibbling on the leaves? Mine haven't bothered any of my vegetable plants so far. just keep watch and spray the cat with a water bottle when it engages in undesirable behavior.

Hm, you could try to present a barrier between the cats and the plants if they eat leaves when you are away.

A couple of my friends and my grandmother have Siamese cats. As vocal and wild as they are, I think they are great variety of cat!

lso, if anyone have some good ideas on the soil and soil mix, or fertilizers, please share. Everything I find written in Usa/England has so many words and types we dont have. Is there a good solution for other plants that works like a charm on chilies? 

Peptacular said:
Hm, you could try to present a barrier between the cats and the plants if they eat leaves when you are away.

A couple of my friends and my grandmother have Siamese cats. As vocal and wild as they are, I think they are great variety of cat!
hehe, yes their energy level is off the roof and they never get tired of talking, thats for sure :D I might place some cactus with some nasty studs on them. But then again, I dont really want to hurt them too :D

Made up some of the early riped thai chili that was blooming early this year. The powder became good. Lots a flavor and the famous thai sting and fast heat later. Love it! 

8817561240_eab248a4f1.jpg

had an interesting turn of events today. During a BBQ with some friends, one of my cats was nibbling at a spanish pepper and a fatalii plant. Well, walked some of the guest out and when I came in he was puking all over, leaves and all.... also he had a large turd, probably 3-4cm wide stuck in his behind. When I touched him he had sever pain in the belly so I took him to the vet. To my surprise chiliplants are poisonous for cats and dogs, but not immediately lethal! He probably had severe stomach pain and now im baby sitting the poor guy giving bacterial cultures every hour. Well, as we sit here and watch some show on tv he strolls off feeling slightly better, straight to the plant and try to eat again. WTF! Never been a problem before, but I can see this as an upcoming big problem. Anyone have any clues how to get animals to stay away from the plants, HUMANE and without HURTING them off course ;)     

Well, at least we have the summer here now with blazing hot sun and anything from 15 - 30 over 24h. The Cayenne Pepper seems to thrive as you actually can see it ripe! All of the Jolokia strains are going strong, will give a picture when ever I get to repot them. The rest is lagging but this weather sure should set some speed to that process. Oh, in case you guys didn't know! Its long days here in the summer, and we still get more and more sunlight throughout the evening until June 23... I attach a picture from 02:00 last night when its at the darkest these days. The sun sets around 22:30 and is back up again around 04:00. Later its only gone between 23:30 and 01:00!

8843606698_d8d46202de_b.jpg

8843067147_16c518c62d_c.jpg

Got my hands on a large bag of chilies direct from Egypt (bought yesterday). They are not particularly hot, but has a good smoked flavor to it and a round good taste. They are about 1 - 3cm in length. The hottest peppers so far is the baby chillies I bought in India! They´r like pepperspray in the mouth when you chew one! Anyone who dare to identify it? And if someone wants some seeds, give me a notice. Ill chuck em in the grinder and deseed them as I go.

8858156858_42b15025d3_b.jpg

Regarding animals and eating plants, it's a little ironic but one of the things that I've heard recommended was to actually use a dilute chili pepper mix misted onto the surface of the plant leaves and stems.  They also sell a bitter apple mist product here in USA that can be used on both plants and non-organic items (like electric cords) to discourage chewing.

NorwegianChili said:

Got my hands on a large bag of chilies direct from Egypt (bought yesterday). They are not particularly hot, but has a good smoked flavor to it and a round good taste. They are about 1 - 3cm in length. The hottest peppers so far is the baby chillies I bought in India! They´r like pepperspray in the mouth when you chew one! Anyone who dare to identify it? And if someone wants some seeds, give me a notice. Ill chuck em in the grinder and deseed them as I go.

Those looks like sannams. http://www.chipotlechiles.com/sannam-chili-peppers

Since I had around 30 ish riped cayenne pepper I harvested them and baked them until they were done. Added baked garlic, carrot, tomatoes, black pepper, red salt, lime, rum, cumin, vinegar and it became like a good, tasty tomato-sauce. About 4 bottles so I can give away my non interesting sauce to friends who will find it hot. I boil bottles heavy for 30min and add the sauce immediately after they cool enough to handle. Should do the trick... capped and turned until cool 

8869246867_c94deaf3f7_b.jpg

my mystery seed as come up in the pot where i left it with the ginger (Galong) to see what ever happene. Now its coming up in 4 days. Can anyone tell? the roots re 5-6cm long! 
8872206516_70b9aec816_b.jpg

Dont know why, but every time I order Moruga its never hotter than the Ghost. And never the less it lack the flavor that the ghost provide. 

8881627851_93429b783a_b.jpg

8882249744_e101359034_b.jpg

Well, some weeks in South Africa really pushed my plants to the limit. With a mother, brother and friends taking care of the cats in a good manor, the plants did not yield from me being away. Most of them almost dead, but with my green fingers it seems to be more of a setback than the end, luckily! Trust your kids, pets, house, car, girlfriend with family and friends, but never your plants :)

Back