• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Odd shaped Bhut Leaves

OK guys i need some help. I have two potted Ghost Pepper plants that are starting to develop odd shaped and damaged leaves. I've searched the web and the forums for ideas but in honesty, I don't know where to start. I've checked for bugs and other critters and have came up empty. Any ideas?

20130520_163002.jpg

20130520_162949.jpg

My guess is Calcium deficiency, but there are many more experienced growers here than I. I use CaMg+ by General Organics, which helps keep pH from dropping due to salt buildup, and also prevents Blossom End Rot (BER). Just my $.02.

Mg is widely available in many plant foods, but trace elements like Mn can be trickier to supply plants with. I'm sure there are other organic sources than manure, I just can't think of any. There is probably a myriad of chemical sources too, but I'm one of the organic guys whenever possible.

Edit: I just read that kelp and seaweed are sources of Mn, so it's not so hard to get afterall. I would use GO BioWeed for this.

Are you using Neem Oil or any other type of oil? It seems to cause a defect on newly formed leaves for me, and when they become full grown, they look similar to yours. However, the next set of leaves look just fine and so do the ones that are already there.

What are your watering habits?
That mix looks really wet, it may not be so much of a deficiency as a lockup from overwatering... Just my 2 cents.

I water once the soil dries up. That's usually once every three to four days here in Phoenix. I had literally just watered then when the picture was taken.

So recent finding. I have been checking my leaves a couple of times daily and moved the pants to a different area as a tree nearby was dropping random small branches on the plants. I found a leaf that has a spot that is yellowish/ light green spot that looks like it will eventually cause a hole in the leaf. i'm also showing puckering on the new leaves. i included the best pic i could take of the leaves. Sorry about the second picture being so blurry. 
20130525_131233.jpg
20130525_131327.jpg

Back