• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Operation Golden Garden 2014: Let's Get Started!

**Instead of starting an entirely new GLOG, I decided to tack 2014 on to the end of this one. So if you have already went through 2013's grow, just jump ahead to page 40.**

Before you go on, I would recommend you grab a beer or something else stiff to drink.  If you didnt follow my grow last time around, I have the tendency to go on, and on, and on, and on.  Also, I may not be the most "PC" out of the group, so if you are looking for clean language, on topic discussion, and general 'niceness', I am sure that I can point you in the right direction.

Ok, now that we got that out of the way....I AM STARTING A FREAKIN GROW LOG!  A quick bit of back story. Since I spent more time in high school partying than studying, I didn't have much of a choice following graduation. I decided to enlist in the Marines (there really isnt another choice) and now here I am 8 years and 5 deployments later.  This last go around I left the first few days of September and just got back yesterday (9 months for all the other 'non studying' folk).  As most of you know, if you want some bangin pepper plants, you need to start early, and May 25th aint early.  So right before I left I cut everything back and prayed to the pepper gods that my plants would make it through winter so I could have something to come home to.  Up until yesterday I thought that they were just taking time to put on some green, but when I walked through the fence to see my dogs, a ritual that I typically do after every deployment, I realized that the plants were not there and instead was four trays of new plants just waiting for planting.

Note:  IPhones are not the world's leading video recording devices.  And as a result, I may not be easily heard.  Dont worry, I didn't have much to say initially anyways, I was just a bit more surprised than anything.

For someone who seems to always talk a bit too much, I didnt have much to say initially.  I was freaking out inside and didnt know if my wife got them or what.  When she told me that the guys from THP did it, i was blown away.  You gotta understand, over the past 9 months Bill (RocketMan) organized a "Operation Hot Sauce" care package rotation for me and my guys.  A bunch of members here chipped in and sent packages of sauces, powders, peppers, and other treats to help make this deployment a bit more enjoyable.  To hear that they ALSO chipped in and GAVE ME A GROWING SEASON pretty much put me over the edge.  I know that I already messaged you guys but I wanna thank RocketMan, Coheed196, Romy6, KingDenniz, Silver_Surfer, STC3248, DesertChris, Sanarda, MuskyMojo, Pulpeteer, WalkGood, DocNRock. Stickman, Annie57, Pic 1, Pr0digal_Son, Jamison, Spicy Chicken, HighHalt, Fremp, SethSquach, 3/5 King, Patrick, Bigoldude again for helping make this happen for me.  And although giving me a garden was WAY MORE THAN ENOUGH, they also gave me a little sumpin sumpin that will help out picking up the last minute things that I need to make sure I have everything I need for the season!

So this morning, I got up early because I am still on Afghanistan time, cooked breakfast, and then after the family ate we went out to the garden to plant everything. 

The Peppers:
7 Pot
7 Pot Douglah
7 Pot Yellow
Aji Colorado
Bhut Jolokia
Bhut Jolokia Assam
Bhut Jolokia Yellow
Bonda ma Jaques
Cobra
Congo Trinidad
Fatalii
Jamaican Hot Chocolate
Lemon Drop
Marconi Giant Hybrid
TSMB 
TSMB Yellow
Naga Morich
Safi Red
Trinidad Scorpion
West Indian Red

Maters:
Black Krim
Black Pear

Oh, and did I tell you that THERE ARE 3 EACH?!?

Gettin to work tilling the rows a bit

The wife givin me a hand

The kiddo givin me a hand

Rows Complete

And Peppers in the ground!

Some goodies from Bill, Jeff and Bonnie (Bill also has goodies in the fridge :cheers:)

Parting Shot

Matt, awesome opening to this years grow. I'm an so glad we were able to pull this off for you. I almost died laughing so hard when Shane started in with the whole HD Jalapeno and Habaneros routine.   :rofl:

Just like with the sauces man, I just put it out there, 5 full PM's worth, and the response was rapid and positive. Even from people that haven't had the opportunity to get to know you yet. In all over $430.00 was donated to Operation Golden Garden. Now, what are you going to make with all that lovely heat that's going to be coming up ;)

We're going to teach you how to ferment this year, right?

Oh, I picked those specific tomatoes because they'll work in a sauce and will be awesome as sun-dried tomatoes. I even ran some through the smoker today for 4 hours and they're now in the dehydrator. I'll have to send yo a little sample :)

Atta boy Matt! Hope you're enjoying the time with mama and the kiddo...and of course the pups! I dunno about that Cobra unless its a Black Cobra...if so it will be an annuum with a pubecent look to it...that IMHO is actually a Goat's Weed...if it ain't that one then I dunno??? The THP wouldn't be the same without an MGOLD Glog my man, so the pleasure was (and will continue to be) all ours. Keep em green...no pressure!

Matt, first thank you for helping to keep our country safe. Glad you made it home in time for Memorial Day. We we are looking forward to reading and seeing your Glog.
I was our pleasure to give a little back. The plot is looking good ;-)
Enjoy the HOT treats, my advice KEEP them away from the Kiddo. Welcome home, glad you are back. :dance:

Cheers Jeff

Welcome Home, Matt! 

It was my honor to be a part of Operation Hot Sauce.  I know all the other sauce makers who participated feel the same way.  Thank you for your service,

Awesome to see the grower folks on THP had an opportunity to jump in, coordinate and donate for such a wonderful surprise.  What a great idea and it worked out perfectly! 

:cool:  

ps- Matt, did you see everyone's Status Updates yesterday?  ;)

Hi Matt
   It was worth it to see the look on your face when you saw the plants waiting for you in the garden plot! :)  Welcome home bro'... hope you can stick around a while to enjoy your growing biological empire.  As Rocketman Bill suggested, I think it would be OK with us if you used some of the gift card to take your wife out to dinner, as she could probably use a break from her own cooking about now...  I think it'd be good for some points in the savoir faire department as well. ;)

Looking forward to checking in on your glog and seeing what you do with the fruits of your garden. Cheers!

[SIZE=10pt]Seacowboy- Thanks!  I couldn't wait to get them goin![/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Thismembername- Thanks, I am really blown away.  The members here are amazing![/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]WalkGood- I actually considered doing it that night, but there was no way that Momma was gonna allow that.  But first thing in the morning, IN THEY WENT![/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]RM-  Thank you so much Bill. I couldn't be happier!  I cant wait to see everything grow and try all these new ones!  Those tomatoes sound great, gonna be a great addition to my budding saucing experience!  And damn straight I am gonna give fermenting a shot![/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Romy6- Thanks brother!  She feeds him EVERYTHING!  He is gonna be 6 feet tall at this rate![/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]STC3248-[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt] Thanks Shane!  I am happy to be able to have one this year!  It feels like I haven't missed a step![/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]DocNrock-[/SIZE] [SIZE=10pt]I can't tell you how great is feels to be back.  It is like I haven't missed a beat and am already back into the routine.  You know, hey Matt, take out the trash, hey Matt, take out the recycling, time to clean, time to cook!  If I would have been here for the past 9 months these tasks would be...overlooked...but it feels great to do the little things again! [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]RM- Yea I looked them up last night.  I cant wait![/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Spicegeist- They pooled the donations together and sent CCN plants.  I am still freaking out a bit![/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Megahot- Will do man.  Thanks! [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Catherinew- Thank you!  I love the people here, I tell everyone about them![/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]DesertChris- [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]I wasnt about to let them chill in there waiting!  I couldn't wait to get them in the ground![/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]SpicyChicken-[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]Thank you so much Jeff!  I will definitely keep them WAYYYY out of reach of the little one, he seems to get into everything now![/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]SalsaLady-[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt] Thanks so much Ann!  Yes i did and again, BLOWN AWAY!  Thank you all so much, my guys really appreciate all the support throughout our deployment.  I still remember the guys having competitions seeing how many drops of Pure Evil they could take! [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Silver Surfer- Thanks!  I cant wait to watch these babies explode!  And great selection BTW![/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Fremp- I cant wait to post em up as well.  Gonna get back into my GLog groove! [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Stickman-Thanks so much!  I definitely have plans to take the wife out and spend some time with here.  I think we are gonna do a weekend at some point in the next month or so and pawn the little one off on the inlaws.  She did do a great job holding down the fort for 9 months with a baby, I dont even know where I would start on that one! [/SIZE]

Ill be back a bit later to post up a few deployment pics and other stuff.  Thanks a ton!

Back