• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Go Go Gadget Soap

SumOfMyBits said:
motor-boating and alcohol has my attenion... are we talking about food?

Unfortunately :rofl:

I don't think GM gets his own innuendos. 

The Hot Pepper said:
I don't think GM gets his own innuendos. 

It was intentional ... any chance to use motor-boating is not to be missed ...

now it's cooking ... gelification time ...

I went ahead and made some soap using an 18% superfat'd nutiva coconut oil (76F type), distilled water, and sodium hydroxide ...

We're using 33 oz of coconut oil here ... Red Devil lye always reminds me of reading Malcolm X and hair 'conking,' but I digress ...

I mixed 4.96 oz of lye crystals with 12.5 oz water using a scale that reads to balance that reads .001 wearing goggles and a mask and gloves, and set it outside in the carport ...

That was the worst part, being outside in the carport in boxers and a tshirt w/ full coverage goggles and a surgical mask and gloves is probably not the kind of attention one's after at 3:30am on memorial day ...

The lye water got stirred a few times while it cooled down out there, while I heated up the coconut oil until it was fully melted w/o clumps, and then I brought the lye in and poured it into the crock ...

I put the hand blender in at an angle to not introduce bubbles ...

and alternatingly swirled figure eight's while pulsing the low setting to get the saponification going ...

starting to get some trac, let it cook on low for about 30 mins ...

beginning gel phase ...

end of gel phase, around 45 mins later ...

tested pH under 8 ...

served ...

lathers ...

soap for a while, and some flake to shake up in my sprayer to try to get better surface action for foliar feeding ...

f**k Monsanto.

It's food grade lye ... and food grade coconut oil ... and i definitely had some put in my mouth (on a very small scale) against my will growing up ...

but to answer your question ... yes, I'd definitely be interested in seeing a post where you fixed garden pavers (and I'm not being facetious) ...

"No duplicate content or cross-posting. Cross-posting is cutting and pasting or posting virtually the same content to multiple forum categories or even the same topic to bump it. Please choose the most appropriate forum for your post, and post it there. Cross-posting is considered spam, and clutters the forum."

Please don't post the same thing to multiple forums and try to keep the cooking forums for food, thanks.

457042.jpg

Back