• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

A question somewhat medical about super hots.

Well I am going to try to make a long story as short as I can. My father has a lot of medical issues, I can not even list them all here. Some of his issues cause his sinuses to ( gonna try to not be gross here ) basically just be loaded to a crazy extent. I mean he has to go to the doctor to have his sinuses cleared out manually, and it's just horrible. Anyway, rewind to about October of last year and I took some of my Bhut Jolokia Salsa to my parents house and my father loved it, and he kept telling my mother that his sinuses felt great whenever he ate it. Well in November when he went to have his sinuses cleared the Dr. told my mother they were MUCH more drained than they had been in the last few years. 

My question is, if my father can handle it should I turn it up to a hotter pepper in my salsa? ( He has told my mother that it is not to hot for him at all and he thinks it tastes wonderful and even went so far as to tell her my last batch that I gave them in January could have had a bit more bite to it ) Will that help clear his sinuses even more? Or should I just use more Bhut's in the next batch to try to turn it up a bit more? Or are there other factors that make one super hot better than another at clearing sinuses? I am sorry if this is in the wrong place, or just not a question for these forums at all, if so just delete and I will not re post.

I just found out in the forums here that I have a minimum of 4 to 6 weeks IF I am lucky to make another batch of salsa, my mother has been asking me every 2 days about when I can make another batch for my father, now at least I can tell her a time, not a good answer but an answer at least I guess lol.

I can not help but wonder though, if this isn't maybe a medical side effect of super hot peppers that for some reason no one has looked at, maybe I am crazy but my father really says they help him a lot.

Sincerely, Reverend Michael Massey

Do yourself a favor and contact ed Currie the owner of pucker butt pepper company tell him your story. He is heavily into researching medicinal benefits of peppers and stuff he will probably know the answer to all of the questions you have but at the very least it will interest him. He has been using his Carolina reaper for cancer research and other stuff.

I am not sure any of us can answer the question definitively, but if he wants more bite, give him more bite! I personally find great relief from sinus issues by eating superhots. I can't think of any long term effects of eating them daily, in fact many studies point to the benefits of eating spicy foods on a regular basis.

If you have a while before you have fresh peppers, you can always try superhot powders or dried pods in your salsa.

If you want to try the dried stuff, shoot me PM, I will send you out a care package.

Since he likes the flavor of Bhuts just jack up the volume. If you do not have any fresh ones, you can alway find them dried, powdered and sometimes fresh online. They are pretty mainstream now. With all the positive health articles on peppers over the years, I would think in the very near future it will be tagged a "Super Food"

I definitely agree with TGPS and Pepperproblem - If you don't have the means or time to make the salsa right away, add some superhot flakes or powder to it.  Or even some Pure Evil.  I added 3 drops of that stuff to a bowl of salsa last night, and it took the heat up considerably.  

Best of luck with your fact finding.  I would definitely be interested to know if the results that you have seen repeat themselves.

On the medical side they make a nasal wash that has capscium in it, so it does have a medical use to help clear the sinuses, it is used in creams to relieve arthritis in effected joints and is under various studies for cancer. You should check into the nasal wash you might find it at a health food and herbal store.

theghostpepperstore said:
I am not sure any of us can answer the question definitively, but if he wants more bite, give him more bite! I personally find great relief from sinus issues by eating superhots. I can't think of any long term effects of eating them daily, in fact many studies point to the benefits of eating spicy foods on a regular basis. …
wildseed57 said:
On the medical side they make a nasal wash that has capscium in it, so it does have a medical use to help clear the sinuses, it is used in creams to relieve arthritis in effected joints and is under various studies for cancer. You should check into the nasal wash you might find it at a health food and herbal store.
I agree, I have a nasal deviated septum and eating peppers allows me to breath normally thru both nostrils. A few years back I looked into researching why and it turns out that what wildseed57 said is correct. I only wish the effects lasted longer, hehehe. Good luck with dad and keep him happy by making him more sauces ...

I intend to keep making him more as long as I can. And another member on here is actually helping me with that, sending me some powders to make more salsa until my plants start producing, I will be posting a thank you with pics when it gets here. Some amazing people on these forums I am learning very quickly. Also, my father has tried several nasal sprays and hated them all, hence why he has to go have it done manually, I expect however once I am giving him salsa again it will get better again. I will update when I get some to him. Thank you all.

1 Peter 3:8-12

There is actual medical evidence to support what you are seeing.

Heat in Chili Peppers Can Ease Sinus Problems, Research Shows

Aug. 26, 2011 — Hot chili peppers are known to make people "tear up," but a new study led by University of Cincinnati allergy researcher Jonathan Bernstein, MD, found that a nasal spray containing an ingredient derived from hot chili peppers (Capsicum annum) may help people "clear up" certain types of sinus inflammation.

Share This:
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/08/110825164933.htm

The study, which appears in the August 2011 edition of Annals of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology, compares the use of the Capsicum annum nasal spray to a placebo nasal spray in 44 subjects with a significant component of nonallergic rhinitis (i.e., nasal congestion, sinus pain, sinus pressure) for a period of two weeks.
Capsicum annum contains capsaicin, which is the main component of chili peppers and produces a hot sensation. Capsaicin is also the active ingredient in several topical medications used for temporary pain relief. It is approved for use by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration and is available over the counter.
"Basically, we concluded that the spray was safe and effective on non-allergic rhinitis," Bernstein says of the study which showed that participants who used a nasal spray withCapsicum reported a faster onset of action or relief, on average within a minute of using the spray, than the control group.
Non-allergic rhinitis is an upper respiratory condition not caused by allergies but instead caused by environmental factors such as weather, household chemicals or perfumes; however, there are some people who have no triggers or don't know what triggers are causing the inflammation, Bernstein says.
This is the first controlled trial where capsaicin was able to be used on a continuous basis to control symptoms. It is considered a significant advance, "because we don't really have good therapies for non-allergic rhinitis," says Bernstein, adding that in previous trials the ingredient was too hot to administer without anesthesia.
The study was funded by Dynova Laboratories. Bernstein, a professor in the division of immunology, allergy and rheumatology at the UC College of Medicine, is a paid consultant for Dynova.

Share this story on FacebookTwitter, and Google:

Other social bookmarking and sharing tools:

Share on stumbleuponShare on linkedinShare on pinterest_shareShare on bloggerShare on diggShare on deliciousShare on newsvine|277

Story Source:

The above story is reprinted from materials provided byUniversity of Cincinnati Academic Health Center.
Note: Materials may be edited for content and length. For further information, please contact the source cited above.

Journal Reference:
  1. Jonathan A. Bernstein, Benjamin P. Davis, Jillian K. Picard, Jennifer P. Cooper, Shu Zheng, Linda S. Levin. A randomized, double-blind, parallel trial comparing capsaicin nasal spray with placebo in subjects with a significant component of nonallergic rhinitisAnnals of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology, 2011; 107 (2): 171 DOI:10.1016/j.anai.2011.05.016

I just wanted to say thank you to The Ghost Pepper Store. They sent me out some powders to get me through until my plants start producing and thanks to them I am right now making some salsa to take to my parents tomorrow. Thanks a lot, seriously that was amazing of you!

Also, their smoked Bhut powder is friggin amazing, I can't stop eating it just as it is lol. I can not wait to add it to dish's.

I will update on how it does for my father.

Reverend Michael Massey
1 Peter 3:8-12

It has been a while since I posted in this thread. My father passed away unexpectedly July 15th. He was an amazing friend and a better father who was loved by many and who will be missed by many. 

Thanks to TheGhostPepperStore my father had powder that my mother was adding to several dish's for him and he loved it ( He still wanted it hotter though lol ) He was a beast when it came to heat. It did continue to help with his sinuses though just as I thought it would. 

I just wanted to thank TheGhostPepperStore again for sending me free powder to help me out until my plants started producing, I am unable to work currently and had no way to get him any super hot's. TheGhostPepperStore was kind enough to just offer to send those powder's to me free just to help out, thanks to you he got to enjoy Bhut powder up until he passed away. Thank you very much again. If not for your kindness he would not have had any.

Michael, we, (Mrs GhostPepperStore and I) were both very touched by your post and offer our sincere condolences. Mrs. GhostPepperStore lost her father very suddenly almost 1 year ago, and we both know how hard it can be. It gives us great comfort to know that we were able to ease his pain and offer him enjoyment during his final days. We both wish we could have done more, our friend. If you need anything, please feel free to ask.

Sorry to hear about your loss.

For future reference for others:
If somebody runs out of peppers try Fresh horseradish.
I know people I sent root cuttings to that didn't like peppers that horseradish helped with sinus and other breathing problems.
Like Peppers it has a lot of various vitamins in it and the fumes are said to be good for the lungs and sinus.

Most of the Pepper/cancer stuff only works in labs on cells in a petre dish not in animals or humans so far.

MAYBE it might eventually work as a drug but so far eating peppers seems to have no effect on cancer rates from what I've read.
Cancer c
ells treated directly showed SOME promise with Prostate Cancer in a lab.
From what I've read so far.
Eating peppers is different than cancer cells being in direct contact with the stuff a pepper has in it.

My Mother has been fighting a couple kinds of cancer over the last several years.
She doesn't like super hots or habs for that matter.
Eats Jalapeno salsa.
She is in remission but on Kemo for life.
Kemo messes her up and she can't eat a lot of stuff when on Kemo.
Peppers would make it worse I think,as far as eating them goes.

To me it's like medical Pot,It works for some stuff but not everything it is supposed to work for.
There is no miracle herb or pod for any given disease.
Some stuff just works better than other stuff,depending on the disease and patient I think.
Anything is sometimes worth a try when you are hurting.
If it works Great!
You won't know until you try it...

Very sorry to hear the news, Mike. My thoughts are with you and your family.

It sounds like you have some wonderful memories and because of those your father will live on through you and your family.

May he Rest in Peace.

Back