• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

hydroponic AACT - accidental hydroponic system

So, the other day I was starting up my second batch of tea. After I went crazy on the molasses on my first batch, I decided to follow the advice here and just use finished compost and a handful of green vegetable matter. Well, my water was ready and I had just done a round of weed pulling so I thought I would just rip up the nut grass sprouts I had in my hand and dump that in there, so I did...including the roots. I added my chunk of compost and left the tea to bubble sitting open on the back porch for a couple of days.

When I looked at it today I noticed that not only had the grass not broken down, but IT WAS ACTUALLY GROWING! I fished all the root parts out of the tea and pitched them and ripped up the rest even more. I also figured I better cover it to keep the light out. So...round 1.5 begins. On the plus side, the tea smelled great, like fresh bayou water. Hopefully the grass will break down in the dark and feed those microbes! 

Any AACT you make correctly will in no way allot enough time for grass clippings to break down. The bacteria that we're trying to multiply don't rely on the matter breaking down. They just need the oxygen and something to already be living on. I'm not surprised at all that the grass clump started growing! Plenty of water and oxygen :) Pretty cool! haha Grass is good. Brew on!

Oh yeah...You did right by the covering. You want it dark. 

Back