• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Should of kept my eyes open

Well, the caribbean red plant that was giving me so much trouble, that i've posted pictures of before, has finally met her demise :(. I've had it isolated since I noticed the brown spots on it, and today I was finally giving it a good luck and I noticed the sticky honeydew that aphids like to make, and my worst fear has been confirmed that it was aphids on the plant. I checked earlier last week when pam told me to check under the leaves for them, but I didnt notice any sign of them whatsoever, but I had also previously sprayed it with insecticidal soap, so maybe it was enough to keep them off from when I was looking, but obviously not enough. So I swallowed my pride and chucked her away. My question is, how in the world did this happen, and how did it happen to only one plant? Especially if im using the same soil for all of my plants, which are showing no signs of them whatsoever. Where exactly do they come from? And are there any previous warning signs to look for on my young seedlings, besides the obvious that I now know which is browning of the leaves. Thanks

Dan

Yea, well it was only 1 out of 20, so its not a huge loss. I just dont want it to get to that point where its like 15 out of 20... or even 20 out of 20 :(

preventative measures are the only way. keep a regiment of neem or something. at first sign heavily inspect. but try and prevent a bug infestation, and if you somehow come across one, you'll be that much more prepared. because it is more likely than not some bugs will find your plant.. i mean they did live here a little longer than us, they are everywhere.

POTAWIE said:
Neem will not work well as a preventative measure for aphids, trust me.

Potawie is correct...I tried it and got them anyway....seems the residue left is not enough to deter them....

aphids are evolved little bastards, not much you can do to avoid them. just keep some soap handy and a close eye on the plants, you know what to be suspicious of now.

You can buy or make ladybug food to keep them around. If I remember correctly, brewer's yeast is one of the main ingredients.

Well, i wouldnt have a problem with that, but for the fact that they're inside, and the fact that I have no reason to doubt an infestation as of yet. But if anything ends up turning up, I may have to resort to desperate measures, even thinking of bringing a handful of lady bugs into the house into my room makes me ... smile?

ABurningMouth said:
I thought they were the stupidest bugs, they took forever to find the bugs.

Ya, they are stupid. I get dizzy watching them go round in circles around the egde of pots and walk right over aphids. Its funny to watch them walking around with one or more on their backs, very efficient mating.:lol: They certainly do their job eventually, and have saved my crop numerous times.

AlabamaJack said:
You will love them....they are so cool....I am mesmerized by the way they move and hunt...

Yay! Another garden geek!

I love watching them hunt, especially the larvae. It's even more fun to show someone a larval ladybug, and watch their face as they realize ladybugs are like butterflies, and grow in stages.

POTAWIE said:
Its funny to watch them walking around with one or more on their backs, very efficient mating.:lol:
:clap:Bwahahaha. OMG I know.
They're like, "doh!":doh:
I've never seen the larvae, but then I didn't know about them until recently either.

Back