• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

The official TOMATO thread

What are you growing and why?

- Indigo Rose (purple tomato AND supposedly very tasty- need I say more?)

darcy-tomato-Indigo-Rose.jpg

- Ildy (highly prolific and tasty yellow cherry tomatoes)

3017_2839_large.jpg

- Stupice (gold standard for early tomato - can go for 6 months with fruit)

Stupice-label.jpg

- San Marzano (longish shaped - good for sauces)

San-Marzano-Tomato.jpg

What you cooking in your garden?

Cheers, Al

I have a variety called tiny tim growing, its only suppose to get 12-15 inches tall and 12 inches wide. We will see.
The plants are about 6 inches tall right now and maybe 6 weeks old.

I'm growing San Marzano's of course,  Super Sauce,  Cherokee Purple,  Mr. Stripey,  Italian Ice,  and some Yellow Pears.  Getting excited already!  Just got them in the ground today actually.

Mountain Magic Hybrid which is a "campari" type of tomato. It's supposed to be the same kind as those ones they sell at the grocery store still on the vine. Not much of a tomato eater myself but my mom loves them and specifically requested campari tomatoes and that was the only variety I could find. Fruit should be ripe in a week or so, I'll report back on flavor.

IUj95Bal.jpg

[quote name="TXCG" post="832583" timestamp=Fruit should be ripe in a week or so, I'll report back on flavor.

IUj95Bal.jpg
[/quote]

Cool, bear in mind that the first ones are never the best ones ;-)

Cheers, Alfred

my plants go into the ground Tuesday, today and tomorrow are going to be excessive with rain and cold nights.

to start, i have sungold F1 and F2. now there are lots of forum posts on saving seeds from sungold f1 but none have ever finished as to whether the seeds saved from sungold hybrid have ever produced. well this year, burning colon will come clean and deliver results.

next is a hybrid called honeybee, again both f1 and f2 will be growing side by side.

a new one for me, hybrid called sun sugar but i think next year i will replace it with ambrosia gold.

purple cherokee, sugar snack, black cherry, green zebra, black krim, black from tula, german stripe, red brandy wine, a hybrid called sweet running f2(they are not sweet 100 or sweet million, just a variety called sweet), lemon boy f3, starfire f2, tiny tim f1, nebraska wedding.

then i have a mystery pepper, something that sprouted out of no where and Mckenzie seeds mixed that could be anything from several brandywine to white wonder.

i have found some brandywine cherry tomato that i think i will add to the mix next year, most likely removing black cherry and sweet.

Hammerfall said:
Wow Al,  is it possible to have some seeds of those awesome tomatoes?
all of them looks nice!
Pls be advised that those are some generic pics from the Internet (NOT my plants) ... We are entering winter here - so currently I have plans that are 10cm tall :-P

Fwiw - all my seeds are from semillas.de (if you want them now - if you can wait a couple of months I gladly send some north)

Cheers, Al

i have

san marzanos

Indigo

Diamante

Lemon Boy

Japanese Trifle

Yellow pear

for now that i can remember... i will post pics

Growing Tasti-Lee, heard about them in a food podcast, supposed to have 40-50% more lycopene, and firm flesh.

KiNGDeNNiZ said:
i havesan marzanosIndigoDiamanteLemon BoyJapanese TrifleYellow pearfor now that i can remember... i will post pics
What's with the aluminum foil?

Need to know :D
chsy83 said:
Growing Tasti-Lee, heard about them in a food podcast, supposed to have 40-50% more lycopene, and firm flesh.
Taking notes - keep us updated w/ pictures

So this is what I have in my main garden (multiples of some):

Aunt Ruby's German Green - Delicious green when ripe tomato.
Red Boar - New to me (a Brad Gates variety).
Cherokee Lime - New to me, but I love the whole Cherokee line.  This is a clear skinned green when ripe.
Vorlon - One of the best tasting purples.
Rusty Oxheart - Wonderful bi-color fruit.
Piennolo - New to me, but long lasting on the vine.  Worth a google search to read about it.
Black Krim - Great producer and great flavor.
Cherokee Chocolate - New to me (sister of Cherokee Purple, but yellow skinned instead of clear skinned).
Pink Boar - New to me (a Brad Gates variety).
Spudayellow Strawberry - Delicious heart shaped yellow tomato.
Cherokee Green - One of the best green when ripe (yellow skinned).
Spudakee - Potato leaf version of Cherokee Purple, great flavor.
Pruden's Purple - One of my favorite pink tomatoes (silly name).
Dark Copia - New to me multi-color fruit.
Darth Mater - Purple heart shaped tomato, supposed to be great in flavor and production.
Malachite Box (abbreviated spelling) - My favorite green when ripe, though Cherokee Green is a close second.
Tater Kin - Pink beefsteaks, good flavor and good production.
Cherokee Purple - One of the best purple tomatoes, one of my favorites.
Amazon Chocolate - New to me this year, supposed to be a very good purple tomato.
Copper River - New to me multi-color tomato.
Golden Cherokee - Orange/Yellow beefsteak with pink marbling, outstanding flavor.
Cherokee Green Pear - Medium sized green pear shaped fruit, outstanding flavor.
Sweet Sharon - Pale yellow cherry tomatoes, great flavor.
Earl's Green Cherry - Green cherry tomatoes, a mutation/sport of Black Cherry.  Outstanding flavor.
Matt's Wild Cherry - Red cherry tomato, outstanding producer and flavor.
Sweet Beverley - Dark Yellow/orange cherry tomato.  Sister line of Sweet Sharon, outstanding flavor.
Chocolate Cherry - Yellow skinned sister to Black Cherry.  Almost identical in growth and flavor.

There are a bunch of other varieties that are growing (barely) that I hope to get in ground in next weekend if they last that long.  No idea how they are doing as I am out of town this week.

poypoyking said:
So this is what I have in my main garden (multiples of some):
Aunt Ruby's German Green - Delicious green when ripe tomato.
Red Boar - New to me (a Brad Gates variety).
Cherokee Lime - New to me, but I love the whole Cherokee line.  This is a clear skinned green when ripe.
Vorlon - One of the best tasting purples.
Rusty Oxheart - Wonderful bi-color fruit.
Piennolo - New to me, but long lasting on the vine.  Worth a google search to read about it.
Black Krim - Great producer and great flavor.
Cherokee Chocolate - New to me (sister of Cherokee Purple, but yellow skinned instead of clear skinned).
Pink Boar - New to me (a Brad Gates variety).
Spudayellow Strawberry - Delicious heart shaped yellow tomato.
Cherokee Green - One of the best green when ripe (yellow skinned).
Spudakee - Potato leaf version of Cherokee Purple, great flavor.
Pruden's Purple - One of my favorite pink tomatoes (silly name).
Dark Copia - New to me multi-color fruit.
Darth Mater - Purple heart shaped tomato, supposed to be great in flavor and production.
Malachite Box (abbreviated spelling) - My favorite green when ripe, though Cherokee Green is a close second.
Tater Kin - Pink beefsteaks, good flavor and good production.
Cherokee Purple - One of the best purple tomatoes, one of my favorites.
Amazon Chocolate - New to me this year, supposed to be a very good purple tomato.
Copper River - New to me multi-color tomato.
Golden Cherokee - Orange/Yellow beefsteak with pink marbling, outstanding flavor.
Cherokee Green Pear - Medium sized green pear shaped fruit, outstanding flavor.
Sweet Sharon - Pale yellow cherry tomatoes, great flavor.
Earl's Green Cherry - Green cherry tomatoes, a mutation/sport of Black Cherry.  Outstanding flavor.
Matt's Wild Cherry - Red cherry tomato, outstanding producer and flavor.
Sweet Beverley - Dark Yellow/orange cherry tomato.  Sister line of Sweet Sharon, outstanding flavor.
Chocolate Cherry - Yellow skinned sister to Black Cherry.  Almost identical in growth and flavor.
There are a bunch of other varieties that are growing (barely) that I hope to get in ground in next weekend if they last that long.  No idea how they are doing as I am out of town this week.
Are those heirlooms (sharing seeds end of season)?

Cheers Al

Cherokee Purple
Coastal Pride Orange
Danko
Green Doctor's Frosted
Green Giant
Hugh's
Kosovo
Opalka
Orange Minsk
Orange Russian 117
Pineapple
Rose
Sherrill
Spears Tennessee Green
Stump of the World
Stupice
Sun Gold

All are heirloom or open pollinated except for Sun Gold it is the only hybrid.

Al-from-Chile said:
Are those heirlooms (sharing seeds end of season)?

Cheers Al

They are all heirloom or open pollinated (stable).  I should have seeds of most varieties to share at the end of the season.  One of my goals is to get people growing non-standard (read non-Burpee) varieties of tomatoes.  I have converted a lot of tomato haters into tomato lovers be trying some different varieties than what are offered in the grocery store. 
neoguy said:
Cherokee Purple
Coastal Pride Orange
Danko
Green Doctor's Frosted
Green Giant
Hugh's
Kosovo
Opalka
Orange Minsk
Orange Russian 117
Pineapple
Rose
Sherrill
Spears Tennessee Green
Stump of the World
Stupice
Sun Gold

All are heirloom or open pollinated except for Sun Gold it is the only hybrid.
 Some great tasters there neo. :)

I've got Costoluto genovese, costoluto fiorentino (two "ribbed" varieties from Italy, excellent for salads as well as sauce), an F1 Ochsenherze (oxheart) hybrid from Germany, and the offspring of a particularly good yellow tomato I bought at a market last year.  

Now I've just got to keep the rats and towhees from eating the entire crop...

poypoyking said:

They are all heirloom or open pollinated (stable).  I should have seeds of most varieties to share at the end of the season.  One of my goals is to get people growing non-standard (read non-Burpee) varieties of tomatoes.  I have converted a lot of tomato haters into tomato lovers be trying some different varieties than what are offered in the grocery store. 

Some great tasters there neo. :)

way to go!!!!!

I hope we can keep this thread going 'til aug/sep ... and then get reviews (best of / worst of) and get a seed-switcheridoo of the best-of-the-best going  ;)

damn - sometimes I love to be on the wrong hemisphere ... as I will be in SPRING  :dance:
and yes ... we need to spread the word/seed

cheers, Al

Not many varieties for me this year, so i only planted my usual and dependable workhorses.

Rutgers F1
Ramapo F1
Beefsteak <-- love these with a dash of salt, or in a mater sandwich.
Early Girl <-- open pollinated type. Trying to dry farm these this year. Got the roots nice and long and planted them deep.
Druzba
Thessaloniki <-- a good compromise of non-splitting, meaty firm, tasty, uniform sized, early-ish, good disease resistance and production.

Back