• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Fupalooter's first year of learning...

Well, this forum has sparked a new passion in my life. It has continued to grow even down to the hour as I check my seedlings almost hourly. I am looking for as many opinions or words of advise from all of you seasoned Chili-Heads. I have a few pictures here that show some of my progress so far. It seems everyday I am finding something new and making a trip to the local Home Depot or Lowe's. Well I might have bitten off more than I can chew on my first season but im going to make the best of it!

photo_zps81ec5a0e.jpg

First sprouts a few weeks ago.

image_1_zps3e36400c.jpeg

Original setup with only one fixture with two 6500k T8 bulbs.... and the super hots soaking.

image_2_zps01eff7e3.jpeg

Super hots soaking...

THE CURRENT SETUP... a few modifications have been done since the above photos.

image_3_zps497b352e.jpeg

Jalapenos are in the tray... Serrenos, Cayennes, and Bell in the red cups, and super hots are in the yellow cups. Total of four 6500k T8 bulbs, heating mat for the seedlings and thermostat to keep em right on track.

image_4_zpsa7dfec5e.jpeg

Jalapenos!

image_5_zpsae0d3104.jpeg

The milds in their cups...

image_6_zps22dd1b77.jpeg

The super hots!

image_7_zps80d4d4d2.jpeg

The white hab's are starting to grow!

image_8_zpsaa28b39e.jpeg

The very first Reaper to make it's appearance!

image_9_zpsa07f55f6.jpeg

Some more baby seedlings....

SO.... there you have it... I have no doubt that I will be updating this post VERY often. Side note... theres another 50 Serrano seedlings outside that are waiting on a raised bed garden... as for all of the super hots, they are going to be container grown hopefully. Any advice guy? 

You seem to be off to a pretty good start. I only have a couple pieces of advice for you. I can't tell in your pictures, but keep your lights as close to the tops of the plants as possible. You don't want them to touch the lights but generally the rule of thumb is around 1-2 inches away from the tops. Second, I noticed in a couple of your pictures that a few sprouts in the cups had their lids on them. You want to take that lid off as soon as you see a hook coming from the soil. Last thing is...get your babies a fan going on them! You will be very glad you did come time for them to travel outdoors.

I grow superhots strictly in containers. You can have very nice, big, productive plants in containers. I only use, and swear by air-pruning containers. You should definitely get some if you have the means.

Good luck on your season
Vincent

Thanks I have been wondering when the best time to remove the lids would be. I even tried some lids with holes to allow the plant to breath better. I put the holes in yesterday and they have already sped up growth so I think I'm going to take your advice and remove all of the lids tonight.

As for the fan, I do have one ready but it is pretty powerful for a small fan so I need to figure out the best way to mount it so that it does not topple over the seedling by blowing to strong. I'll try to post pics later tonight when I get it setup.

And thanks for the advice. I am trying to take it all in and learn this year.

Yea go ahead and take the lids off if they've sprouted already. If not, it's perfectly safe to leave the lids on. As for the fan, if it's really strong then just move it further away, the goal is to get the air flow to where you can just see the little plants moving just a little in the wind.

You're welcome, this place is the best there is for getting advice. But you can take everything everyone tells you this year but I promise that next year you will still be learning new things.

After your growing season is over and you're browsing the forum, you'll read something and say "man I sure wish I had known that this season."

Nice find there, your gonna be floating in pods real soon :)

Welcome to THP, this is the best place around for chiliheads.

New update today... I now have a handful of plants already potted up to #2 containers and quite a few getting close to being ready. I also have great results from the seeds I received from PepperJoe and now have a good amount of super-hots that are currently being hardened off.

The two tall ones are Butch T's. On left from foward to aft, Red Moruga, 7 Pot, and 7 Pot. In back, 5 Gal container, Red Savina
image_3_zps1ef60fec.jpeg

Combination of California Wonders, Long Thin Cayenne, and Sweet Bananas. The 5 Gal in front is my Naga Viper that has been stunted and just now making its way towards growing up.
image_4_zps762c8b6e.jpeg

A few serrano's and a couple of special cases in front.
image_5_zps987fcaff.jpeg

Here are the little sprouts, Mixed in together here are Carolina Reapers, Thai Sun, White Habs, Chocolate Habs, Pepperchini, Giant Bhut Jolokia,
image_6_zpse8f64d1a.jpeg

image_7_zpsf9bd92d7.jpeg

image_8_zps5caac479.jpeg

Back