• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

cooking with Ghost Chilis

So Im growing Bhut jolokias in my garden for the first time, and my plants are going crazy! I live in hawaii, so it seems im going to have an endless supply of these super hots. The thing is Im not too sure what to do with them all. I know i can handle there heat, but no matter how much i google, the only recipes I find are hot sauce, salsa, or drying. I will definatly do these things, but does anyone know of some actual recipes or cooking methods to use bhuts in that would showcase there awesome flavor besides salsa and hotsauce? I use habaneros like crazy, and will need some creative ways to cook these new peppers! Lets talk cooking!

Chili con carne
Tacos
Thai Red Curry
Chilliburgers 
Languster/Lobster with chili, lime, basil, sesameseeds, grilled

its endless! 

I cook with everything I grow. I have some recipes on my website but nothing for superhots. You can substitute most any time a certain pepper is called for in a recipe. For example, I NEVER use store bought crushed red pepper flakes. Look for recipes you like that contain heat and adjust accordingly. Make sure you understand the flavor of each pepper as well; they can change the taste of an overall dish.

Belive me, you want to make red curry southern thai style, not the liquid one with lots of coconut-milk but coconut cream!!!. small flakes of Ghost just top that dish, but would make any thai commit suicide due to the sting! Its also good with powder and south thai massaman curry! Hits perfect  

Forget recipes. Add them to whatever you are cooking.
You won't find "recipes" using Bhut Jolokias on the Food network website.

Cereal? add dried flakes.
Pizza? add sauce or thin slices of fresh pods.
Vodka? add fresh pods with a slit cut into them and let marinate for a month.
Chili? powder, fresh pods or sauce.

etc. etc. etc. Get creative!

They are thin-walled. Perfect for frying. So... whenever you cook anything in a frying pan, chop some up and toss em in.

ms1476 said:
They are thin-walled. Perfect for frying. So... whenever you cook anything in a frying pan, chop some up and toss em in.

Whatever you do, don't do that. Your wife will surely kill you as she evacuates the house with her eyes watering and in a coughing fit. Trust me. Been there, done that. Once....Well maybe more than once, but not very many times..
Even hot sauces made with superhots need to be cooked outside due to the fumes.

Agreed, last batch l made with non supers (Serranos, jalapenos, etc) chased her out of the living room to the bedroom till the air cleared..

Really, I dont find the fumes and steam that hot. I admit, sometimes I open the grinder after powdering too soon and get the "pepper gas" feeling. But not like that with cooking unless I stupidly smells the dish I'm cocking!  

I can only imagine from eating 7 superhot poppers.

I ate one hab popper once and that was enough to tear my guts up for a whole day

It really wasn't as bad as it sounds when I actually ate them.  It was about four hours later that the evil truly reared its ugly head.

Don't forget you can also freeze them whole and pull them out through winter and cook them or even dry them and powder them at that point.

Back