• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! BBQ Triple Play Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Hot Pepper

Founder
Admin
Begin BBQ Triple Play!

Real BBQ. This means smoked; outdoor, indirect cooking using wood for smoke and charcoal, wood, electric, or gas for source. Other cooking methods are allowed for portions of your meal as long as the main component is smoked!

The players are:
Beef
Pork
Non-meat
(I hesitate to use the word vegetarian here, I don't want to scare anyone off, so we shall use Non-meat, meaning, no animal flesh. Veg, fruit, cheese, eggs, you get the picture. Not mandatory, so stop freaking out.)

All smoked - on one plate. You can mix-n-match the above 3 HOWEVER you want! Just pick 3 even if they are the same. Yes, this means you can do 3 beef, or 3 pork, or 3 veg, or 2 beef and 1 pork, or 2 pork and 1 beef, or 1 beef, 1 pork, 1 veg... YOU GET IT!
Showcase the meat or be inventive and come up with something new. The smoked meat can be an ingredient of something larger. The possibilities of the mix-n-match are endless, and even vegetarians can enter!

DIFFERENT CUTS - NOT THE SAME CUT TWICE! (It may be from the same initial cut of meat but MUST be significantly different). Do not enter the same cut prepared two ways.

Example:
Pulled pork sandwich and pulled pork on the plate. NO! Cop out.
Pulled pork sandwich and sliced money muscle. YES. The money muscle is a different cut within the shoulder and sliced, not pulled.
Burnt ends chili and sliced brisket. YES. Burnt ends are significantly different from slices of brisket.

Seasoning and accent meats allowed, which may be any meat, as long as it is seasoning or accent only (bits, wrapping, etc.).

You can also use any of the categories "Beef, Pork, Non-meat" to create a smoked side, they do not all have to be entrees. Smoked mac n cheese? Yes please!

Any additional sides (or garnishes) may include sauces, fresh and pickled fruits and veg, and slaws and salads only. Since all 3 components are smoked, the idea is, to show some freshness or acidity to break up the meal or give it color.

Additional sides as stated above must be on the side unless used as garnish.

3 components means 4 pics allowed.
3 of each and 1 complete plating pic.

Remember 3 key things:
  • Voters like variety not repetition.
  • It is important to see the smoke rings and doneness of whatever is cooked so think about that with the individual pics.
  • Think outside the box! We've seen pulled pork sandwiches and brisket, what else you got?
READ: The 5 Rules for an eligible entry

EXCEPTION: 4 pics allowed this time.

PoL: .35

Final post needs to include the type of wood and method you used to smoke as well as all ingredients and other cooking methods.

Because of the shitty weather, this ends Monday at 9 PM EDT! So plenty of time to smoke!

BEGIN!

Never seen a smoke start like that :lol:

intrigued

I am too drunk to follow all them words....

again.

Ruers rules rules...

LB get this on!!!!!!!

Aw, I was gonna call out kybrd on his lack of (carne)...but I knew he had something up his sleeve. ;)   Peek-a-boo of BACON?

Well...let's just hope this time we don't get a whiner if more than one "entree" shows up on a BBQ plate...<roll eyes>  LOL

Smoked Veggies

[SIZE=10pt]              According to research, food smoking originally started with in-ground pits for burning logs; with food suspended overhead. As time progressed, the in-ground pit transformed into an elevated above-ground box; with food not being directly over the fire. Other variations seem to have appeared over time-and, since I didn't have a smoker readily-handy, I attempted to use a technique to temporarily adapt my existing grill for this purpose. Interesting spin on food smoking, since I was using a gas grill-and may have potentially had problems with heat control. To account for this, I mostly turned on 1 burner only as low as it could go, and put an disposable pan on the deflectors partially filled with water to help absorb heat. The goal was not to boil the water. As the food was cooking, a temperature of roughly +/- 200 degrees was maintained.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]               Food was smoked using soaked Apple wood, placed on pre-heated charcoal briquettes-in a pie plate. Wood and briquettes were monitored as necessary, and fresh coals were added periodically-as was soaked wood.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Ingredient List[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Sunflower Oil as required[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]1 Sweet Potato[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]Vegetable Oil as required[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]4 Tablespoons butter[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]1 teaspoon honey[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]Zest of 1 orange[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]2 tablespoons chopped pecans[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]1/4 ground black mustard seeds[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]red pepper flakes/powder/seeds as required[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]salt as required[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]black pepper as required[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]1-2 Portobello Mushroom Cap[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]Olive Oil as required[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]Slices of Smoked Provolone cheese as required[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]1/3 cup mayonnaise [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]slices of tomato as required[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]2 cups spinach[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]1/2 cup toasted walnuts[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]1/2 cup parsley (approx.) [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]3 garlic cloves[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]1/4 cup parmesan cheese[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]1/8 teaspoon black pepper[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]1/4 teaspoon salt[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]2 tablespoons olive oil[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]2 cups warm water[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]1/8-1/4 cup yeast (approx.)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]5 3/4 cup flour[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]1teaspoon salt[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]2 tablespoons olive oil[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]milk as required[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]1 tablespoon dark brown sugar[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]1-2 ear of corn with husks[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]salt as required[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]black pepper as required[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]slices of turkey bacon as required[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]butter as required[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]Cooking spray as required[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]To make bread:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]1.           Add 2 cups warm water and 1/8-1/4 cup yeast approximately to a bowl. Let sit for 5 minutes[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]2.           In a mixing bowl, add 5 3/4 cups flour and 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar. Pour in water/yeast mixture. Mix well.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]3.           Add 2 tablespoons olive oil, and 1 teaspoon salt. Stir mixture until desired consistency has been reached.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]4.           Coat a large bowl with some sunflower oil.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]5.           Form dough into a ball, spray with cooking spray, and cover bowl with Saran wrap[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]6.           Let sit 30 minutes[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]7.           Remove Saran wrap, punch dough down.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]8.           Flour an upside-down cookie sheet, and divide dough into sections.  [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]9.           Form into rounder segments, and then places on cookie sheet. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]10.         Spray some cooking spray on a new piece of Saran wrap, and cover dough segments. Dampen a towel, and cover Saran wrap/dough. Let sit for 15-30 minutes[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]11.         When ready, pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Remove towel/Saran wrap from dough, and drizzle milk across the top of segments. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]12.         Using a knife, score dough in lines as desired.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]13.         Place in oven for 3 minutes, then re-coat with milk. Place in oven for another 3 minutes, then re-coat again. Finally, place back in oven for an additional 18 minutes (or longer time as required.)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]14.         Use as desired.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]To make pesto:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]1.           Boil spinach leaves. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]2.           Toast some walnuts in a pan. Toast some pecans, set those aside for later. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]3.           Peel and prepare 3 garlic cloves. chop into small pieces. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]4.           In a blender, add 2 cups spinach, 1/2 (approx.) parsley, 1/2 cup walnuts, 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, 3 garlic cloves, 2 tablespoons olive oil, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper,  and 1/8 teaspoon black pepper.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]5.           Transfer mixture to bowl and coat top lightly with olive oil if necessary. refrigerate. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]6.           When ready, combine prepared pesto with 1/3 cup mayonnaise.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]To make Portobello Burger:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]1.           Remove stems from two Portobello mushrooms. Using a spoon, scrape out interior gills lightly. Wash mushroom cap with a damp sponge with soap. clean surface again. Set aside to dry. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]2.           When ready to cook, brush lightly with olive oil. sprinkle with some salt.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]3.           Place mushrooms in smoker for about 20-25 minutes. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]4.           Cover each mushroom with a slice of smoked provolone cheese. Heat as required.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]5.           Coat baked bread with prepared pesto, and top with sliced red tomato.  Add Portobello cap(s) as required. Serve[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]To make Sweet Potato with Orange-Pecan Butter:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]1.           Clean sweet potato with soap and water. Prick with a fork in several spots.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]2.           Coat with a light film of Vegetable Oil.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]3.           Place potato in hanging grill under lid; cook for 2 hours or until done.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]4.           Melt 4 tablespoons butter and honey in a saucepan on low heat. To this mixture, add zest of 1 orange, 2 tablespoons chopped toasted pecans, 1/4 teaspoon ground black mustard seeds, 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper, and salt/pepper as desired. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]5.           Stir together, and drizzle onto cut-open cooked sweet potato.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt] To make smoked corn:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]1.           Clean some whole corn, and pull back husks to remove silk. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]2.           Place corn in a bowl, and soak in cold water for 30 minutes[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]3.           When ready, salt and pepper corn as desired (also dust with ground red pepper)-and wrap a piece of turkey bacon around each ear. Replace husks in original position.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]4.           Tear off husk or two to use as a tie to hold other husks in place.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]5.           Place corn in hanging grill, and cook 1 hour 15 min or until done.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]6.           Remove corn from grill, discard husks and bacon.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]7[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt].           Dust with red pepper flakes.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]8.           Serve with butter if desired.[/SIZE]

Tha kid ain't f*ckin around, YO!  BELLA-BURGER UP IN THIS BEEEEYOTCH!

Dude...I'm allergic to pecans...don't like honey, or sweet potatoes.  No shittin' here...I would risk the reaction to eat that orange tater.  SERIOUSLY.

Is the bird about to take flight?

Key - I'm always so impressed with your creativity! Nice work!!!!!!!

Did you taste the level of 'smokeyness' you were after?!?! Very clever! :)

Chile Juju said:

Did you taste the level of 'smokeyness' you were after?!?! Very clever! :)

Actually it did taste like it had been on the grill. if I said that right. (which is probably what I was after, in a way. haha)

so I'd say yes I think I got the flavor! It was a bit easier to detect in the potato skin and corn. The mushroom tasted that way also I believe, but I had to think about it a bit (since I combined the mushroom with other ingredients.) The smoked provolone cheese may have helped also.

Kudos Key! You are pretty damm good at thinking outside the box.

Good combination of flavors goin on there!

Nice showing there kid! The triple-veg right out of the gate!

You know it occurred to me that people may use bacon to wrap things, and bacon is pork so no issue so I didn't mention it (like if you wrapped asparagus, okay fine, now it is a Pork entry). But turkey bacon? Okay I see now I have to clarify.

Seasoning and accent meats allowed, which may be any meat, as long as it is seasoning or accent only (bits, wrapping, etc.).

Since you're entry #1 I have no problem adding it, and it's more of a clarification anyway. Like I said, I expected bacon just not turkey bacon. So go ahead peeps and use your seasoning meats.

Yes, and Jay can use his fish oil, from blackening.

LOL, yeah I had a plethora of turkey bacon on hand-and couldnt really justify to myself going out and buying another pack of bacon to add to the stack for just this instance.

I was thinking that since the bacon was discarded, and not actually being eaten, that it might not have been part of the dish-and thus would more-or-less satisfy the requirements.

or something like that. haha.

;D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back