• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Help Please!

I have a friend who gives me hot sauce but won't supply the recipe. He claims that it is a secret?

I wan't to make it but I am not sure where to start.

This is what I know he does. He cooks his tabasco peppers with vinegar and ferments the batch in a glass container with a piece of oak wood. However, I do not know for how long or the recipe. He also adds smoked tabasco peppers to the mix.

Anybody else do this and if so do you have a step by step instructions/recipe?

I know that most of us that make sauces keep our recipes secret. We have all done the trial and error method to come up with a new sauce or to improve the taste of a sauce. Sounds like (to me at least) that your buddy makes a basic tabasco sauce and ages (ferments) it. Do a search online for tobasco sauce reciupe(s).

If a person is giving you hot sauce, why must you duplicate it? It's obvious your friend is proud of his formula, and doesn't want to share it, I don't blame him. Most formulas, including ours, took a lot of time and effort to produce and perfect. I have a pretty good idea what your friend is doing, but it's up to you to figure it out. Instead of taking a shortcut, try making it yourself from information 'you' take the time and effort to investigate. There is plently of information on the web to get you started.

That actually happened to me for the first time last week. Hot sauce had never cost me sleep before. Until I discoverd that Hurricane Mash is incredible on Pizza, and used half a jar on a medium for dinner.

Then being properly desensitized I hit up an extract tasting on some little leftover quiches my wife had made.

My stomach didn't dig the quantity, I think. And the time spent in the bathroom that night and the next day was quite miserable, particularly after not being able to sleep due to feeling exactly where the stuff was moving slowly in my intestines all night long. But the capsaicin buzz I had that evening was well worth the pain.

John S. said:
That actually happened to me for the first time last week. Hot sauce had never cost me sleep before. Until I discoverd that Hurricane Mash is incredible on Pizza, and used half a jar on a medium for dinner.

Then being properly desensitized I hit up an extract tasting on some little leftover quiches my wife had made.

My stomach didn't dig the quantity, I think. And the time spent in the bathroom that night and the next day was quite miserable, particularly after not being able to sleep due to feeling exactly where the stuff was moving slowly in my intestines all night long. But the capsaicin buzz I had that evening was well worth the pain.

Fwiw, I'm not sure the, ahem, anular discomfort was the fault of the Hurricane.

:shock:

Hmmmm, delicate and humanly in the same sentence coming from you, now that's scary. :twisted:

So when are you planning your trek down the east coast?

DEFCON Creator said:
Hmmmm, delicate and humanly in the same sentence coming from you, now that's scary. :twisted:

So when are you planning your trek down the east coast?

Our reservations in Eleuthera are for Jan 3 and the last show (so far) ends Dec 21. So... sometime between Dec 21 and Jan 3.

I'll get back to you on that as soon as we know or as soon as Montreal's show ends; whichever comes first.

Speaking of shows! I've gotta book: 11:00 open this morn!

T

Beautiful, just tell us when.

Oh, by the way, it seems we are going the extra mile, and will have a booth in March for the big show. THIS should be fun!

Back