• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

new grower / pinch or not?

this is my first year growing and i read a lot of posts on here, i've had some ruff patches growing peppers lol.
had a heavy down poor at night was not suppose to rain and kill most my plants, ripped them apart.
I've also had several seed packs i bought not germinated, ed curry said he shipped new ones out nice guy.

I was lucky enough to have 6 of my plants still hardening off so they were covered and survived, they are going back indoors until the temperature rises again, some are still smaller but I do have 2-3 larger plants about 14" in size. These ones are start to show flowers on them, lots of little buds all over like 50-100 per plant, so this is where all you fantastic people come in.
In your opinion what would you do, leave them to flower or pinch them off to grown more, ill post pics of 1 plant below, i can overwinter my plants i have the lights to do so, can even keep 1-2 growing all winter if i like.

THP1.jpg

and the starting of flowers

THP2.jpg

I know the picture isnt that great its an iphone 4 lol, anyways thats a cluster of 5 and they are on every little corner of this plant.
ill try and get a better pic and edit it later

thanks guys

all the pepper plants are different the one in the pic is Carolina Reaper

the peppers are
carolina reaper
trinidad moruga scorpion
bhut jolokia
naga viper
7-pot brain
7-pod douglah

I did a lot searching on the subject, it is as controversial as ford vs chevy, so last year I took 4 scotch bonnet plants, 2 pinched, 2 not pinched

The 2 not pinched started producing peppers, and never stopped, grew 2x as bushy out producing the pinched ones 4 to 1 easily, the pinched ones appeared stunted in comparison

i think ill leave them alone then, i wasnt sure with out short summers i figured it was best not to pinch myself, if i lived in cali i would have im pretty sure right away

if they're a foot tall or so, i just let it ride. some peppers will flower too soon, others seem like they will never flower. +1 on letting it ride.

Back