• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

lighting Lighting Questions back and forth inside & outside ok?

Ok so ive searched and searched with no luck. I want to know if theres any and if so what the affect is from bouncing to outside sunlight on clear days and on days its rainy or just plain shitty out can I take them back inside without doing harm? Ido uunderstand if its more than just a couple hours to avoid a rain shower etc that they will need to be reintroduced to the sun again. I have a sunleaves t/5 20000 lumes @ 6500k about 6in above the tallest plant with a fan blowing on them 24/7 while theyre in the garage. I also have a flowering bulb and another 6500k in a different unused light so if the spectrum is an issue I can swap out a bulb. I dont wana do any harm to my plants so im just looking for some educated info on this topic thanks!

Heres a pic of what ive got going.
20130609_170557_zpsc3545d4f.jpg

Why not just harden them off and leave them outside? If severe weather is on the way, then bring them in but otherwise, leave them outside?

I dont see the point in bringing them in and out all the time. Unless the weather is severe rain, winds etc. Id just leave em outside, unless they arent hardened off yet. I believe the plants like the elements, unless its severe weather. To answer your question the plants will like it outside more and will do better but the plants wont mind going back and forth indoor and out, its also has to be a pain to bring em in and out alot too!

Harden them off and leave them outside

Even on a cloudy day the sun produces more light than my 1, 000 watt hps does from 2' away, on a sunny day under my car port my light meter hits upto 1, 000 lumens

Your not going to hurt them, but your not going to help them either, and as they get bigger the more your going to risk breaking them

Thats the situation at hand... Where I live I may get a day or 2 of decent weather where the plants will be outside all day. but then sever storms with strong winds once every other week or less and sometimes small to medium sized hail once a month or so and has been raining faily frequent aswell. I have them doing fine in direct sunlight while theyre out there I hardened them off but the wethers been so crazy lately ive been having to move often. Like today they were out all night it was nice at 9am when i got up & by noon the sky was black and we had heavy downpours for around 30 40 min so they came in until it cleared up and they went back into direct sun around 615. Im concerned with the water being an issue otherwise id leave them outside to deal with it like the other 40 but I just got the ones im concerned about and transplanted them, theyve only been in the 1gal pots for a little over a week and they were already shocked from being in a box in the mail for 3 days. Am I hurting the plants or preventing them from growing properly by the light spectrum or lume change? Do the plants react to it? or is it like them going into the shade when theyre inside in sense due to the light being way less lumes than the sun? Just trying to understand what if anything I might be doing to them by doing this and if anything should I just leave them inside until I feel theyre large and strong enough to sustain the conditions they will be facing outside? Thanks for the help!

I never bring anything back inside, simply because I don't want to have any bugs take up residence in my grow area for next years crop. I'm pretty paranoid about that kind of thing, so I might be going overboard.

Bummer about the severe storms. I was going to suggest a nice greenhouse, but it may blow away along with your plants in a bad storm lol. We wouldnt want that!

megahot said:
Bummer about the severe storms. I was going to suggest a nice greenhouse, but it may blow away along with your plants in a bad storm lol. We wouldnt want that!
Yea my cousin almost had exactly that happen this year So a few days later he took it down. And trust me I check each plant before I bring it in my garage. And one of my chiles I have potted had a couple today so theyre outside from now on. I even ripped the 2 leafs off that I found small clusters of them on and threw in the neighbors yard after I smashed all the little bastards between the leaves lol

I'm a bit south of you, close to saint louis , the weather has been crazy we have had a tornado a few miles away , I have about 117 plants in my garden with 12 in pots, so far they have withstood everything, my main concern has been over watering by rain, so I do know your pain

Yea the last series of tornados we had a week or so ago 1 went through hartford about 5miles south of where im at, we had 60-70mph straight line winds and nearly golfball sized hail at my house when the storm come in and got over 3in of rain in an hour yet my plants in the ground already took it like champs!

Yup I'm in Madison county too, first few rains I took the potted one in 5 gallon buckets under my car port just to avoid the rain, we got hit hard again today .5", I fertilized yeterday and we had clear forcast yesterday for today, and bam we got hit, anymore and my pots are going to have to be moved under the carport or roof line

My plants in the ground have silver mulch so its not to bad on them, over all the rain is good for them if its not this relentless crap we have had for 2 months

You are definitely getting the right advise here. I just figured I would jump in and say "Hi". Its nice to see another MadCO grower. I am just down the hill from you in Wood River.

Weather is looking better for us this week, make sure you dont throw them out in the heat tomorrow and Wednesday for too long.

Ok felt id share my finding so other can use as a reference. I have a galaxy note 2 phone and it has a service menu and on there is a lux meter that uses the light sensor it has. May not be 100% accurate but the readings I got in the shade outside was between 25000 and 26000 lux & under my t5 at the hight of the base of my pots aprox 1ft from the fixture I got a reading of 22000 to 23000 so the difference is less than I had thought but obviously like everyone has said they def get more lumes outside even without sunlight. And the taller the plant the higher the t5 must be raised therefore will be giving the plants less lumes. However the spectrum was way diff as the 6500k focus mainly white and some blue with low red and green readings (it breaks it down to the lux of ea individual color) whereas outside the readings for each color was fairly close outdoors.. Hadnt seen any data comparisons anywhere so here 1 is. Like I said though note 100% accurate as the data was collected by my phone but Im guessing the differences would remain the same regardless of the meter used.. but Someone feel free to correct me if im wrong!

Whats the name of the app ?

Most that I have found peg max in direct sunlight, the sun produces 10, 000 lumens per square foot, there was a study done recently where they took four 1, 000 watt mh, put them in ac chilled hoods and placed them in a 2x2 area, the plants thrived with no burning, but still did not match 1/4 of the sun (per the study)

Ok then yea my phone is dead on 102000 lux would be 10200 lumes right? And its not an app you download... on a galaxy note 2 goto dialer and hit *#0*# then select sensor and it displays all the phones sensors active reading. its more of a tester but the lux meter is on there and breaks down the spectrum into 4 colors r g b w might also work on s4 and s3 worth a shot if u have 1 of those phones
It was bouncing back and forth between 102500 at the highest and 100000 @ the lowest
Ok correction. 102500 lux is 9522.5 lumes/sq ft

From what I have learned over the years is lumens vs lux vs candlepower can vary per manufacturer, like stereo output power watts vs rms watts are a world apart, it apears each one takes what ever they feel is best for marketing and uses it

Lumens, lux, and cp are not equal, but yet there is no standard to adhere to, you have learned just since you started the thread enough to understand the difference in lighting, you could drive yourself insane trying to dissect it any further :-)

And remember the sun changes everyday, as it gets closer to the equator the spectrum changes, thats why the sundown in august starts turning orange, the sun has to go through more particles, and the spectrum gets more red (Harvest sun)

pepperdan said:
From what I have learned over the years is lumens vs lux vs candlepower can vary per manufacturer, like stereo output power watts vs rms watts are a world apart, it apears each one takes what ever they feel is best for marketing and uses it
Lumens, lux, and cp are not equal, but yet there is no standard to adhere to, you have learned just since you started the thread enough to understand the difference in lighting, you could drive yourself insane trying to dissect it any further :-)
And remember the sun changes everyday, as it gets closer to the equator the spectrum changes, thats why the sundown in august starts turning orange, the sun has to go through more particles, and the spectrum gets more red (Harvest sun)
thanks! I figured the same on the mfg's standards having considerable variance. And i just found some website with a converter lux to lumes/sq ft and the disecting is done lol

Back