smokers couple ? on DIY smokers

I have a plan on what design I'd like to build for a vertical smoker/grill, since I'm not finding what I'd like in other smokers.

(steel) what gauge for thickness would you recommend using ?
extreme lightweight is not top of list...but a tank is neither LOL. just want it to last & most likely it'll have wheels put on it for moving around & some side handles.

I've had some cheap ones and they get rusted out quick (in 1-3 years) how many coats of grill paint do you put on your DIY ?

and do you sand blast the smoker down every couple years and give it a new paint job so it doesnt rust out faster ?

care to share the design your looking at. there are so many ways to design vertical smokers.

gauge/thickness: depending on design, no less than 1/4" for the firebox and with proper insulation and framing the cooking chamber could go down to 20ga.

paint: i put 3 coats of high temp paint on mine at time of build, using a commercial style spray gun(siphon) to apply.

i have not re-painted my pits since built over 7yrs ago. the firebox will rust on the surface and i season it like cast iron cookware with oil or lard every year. sometimes ill place bacon strips across the firebox while cooking to season it.

I used to have a 1/4" steel plate 24" diameter homemade pit, but it was just way too heavy. No need for that thick. If it were me, I'd use 1/8" thick steel plate, and give it two good coats of high temperature paint (industrial grade, not the spray can for grills you find in Lowe's or Home Depot). Then, I would spend a few days seasoning it up. Burn charcoal/wood inside and keep spraying it down with cooking oil on the outside like you would a cast iron skillet. It will seal the pores and form a varnish type coating on the paint as the oil bakes on. That's what I do to my Char-griller Smokin' Pro. I've had it since September of 2011, and had to touch it up a few times, but seasoning the outide with oil has helped keep rust and coating failure due to the high heat at bay.

Maybe 1/4" for the firebox like BrownB4 said, but not the cooking chamber. Not for me, personally, anyway.

if any are hoping to see what it'll look like anytime soon, sorry to disappoint yea...cuz this will be a project I'll work on in my free time between work (not much of) & maybe over the winter.

as for the design it'll be vertical rectanglaur style, the upright stlye....the main inside will still be squared for easy racking.
size is yet to be determend, not huge , but kinda medium size, havent played around with the numbers yet.

thinking of using L corner steel for the main rectangluar shape,  U steel bar for multiple spots to slide the racks into & depending on the height I want from the coals or for multiple items or the size of the items.

the coal pan will be made of decent thickness with handles to slide in/out for easy cleaning of ashes. might even make an extra coal box while I'm at it.
thinking of also making to accept a prophane burner at the bottom, make a plate (with burner attached) that would slide in to take place of the coal pan.

racks would be of ? (some kind of wire mesh or rack style) & welded to some square tubing to slide into those U steel bar rack in the frame. so can slide in/out & hold the weight of whatever (including a turkey)

thinking of also making 1 rack that would be a solid steel sheet with some holes in it, to slide in half way incase I ever for some reason am BBq'ing something at the bottom and have something towards the top that doesnt need to much heat (and maybe have some side vents to let some extra heat out for that reason) this is just a brainstorm idea dont know if I'll ever do this part or need to use it...when I come to this part I will or wont :think:

front door allows access to the whole thing. couple real hinges welded on the corner (none of these cheap hinges on most of grills/smokers....dont know what style...gotta look at hinges)

steel sheeting on outside with a 2 full handles on the sides for moving & base legs slightly 45'd outwards to make stable, & with wheels for easy moving.

there, now if any of you are grill/smokers makers and plan on creating something like this.....make'em & if you sell'em for a fair price....then I dont have to make it :lol:

I know many people use horizontal grill/smokers, but to me it seems like vertical is the easiest to use(just adjust heigth from heat) & easier to clean out ashes if have the correct pan. to each their own but I'm sold on vertical grill/smokers !

Back