• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Tomato Blossom End Rot?

I have two Solar Fire Tomato plants that are growing really well except for what appears to be blossom end rot... see photos below and let me know if my diagnosis is correct.

7NkIhQN.jpg

4SGQ3qq.jpg

Am I also correct that irregular watering could cause this?

yes it is. if left on vine it will turn brown to black. too much water or erratic watering will cause it. also a lack of calcium will trigger it too. i use a product caller rot stop from a local garden center. also next year try not to plant tomatoes in same area, if you must, lime in fall then just before planting work in bone meal for added calcium. good luck.

If you have a hydroponics shop near you, you can use cal mag, or something like it when you water (assuming it is a calcium shortage). Personally I would test my ph and if it is low use dolomitic lime, and if it is normal use gypsum (calcium sulfate). But like WGB said, you shouldn't plant tomatoes there next year becauce the calcium is most likely depleted at that site.

From what i read, WGB pretty much hit the nail on the head. It usually isn't due to lack of calcium in the ground soil btw, it's most often due to nutrient lockout from erratic or overwatering. Containers are a similar story, depending on well amended it is.

The best thing to do is have your soil tested at a local university, or county extension office. If it's low in calcium, then lay some down in the fall and it will be ready for next season. You wouldn't want to apply too much in a site that doesn't truly need it need because you would cause a serious nutrient imbalance, or actually toxify your soil.

Back