• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Stomach cramps

Hi All,

I`ve been eating more super hot peppers in the last week than I would usually and after the very hottest I`ve been getting fairly severe stomach cramps. Yes, I`ve been eating a small meal beforehand (except the brain strain), although I have not been using maalox. Anyway, what I find reproducibly (yes, I did the experiment a further 2 times after the first episode, plus the controls!) is that if I drink full fat milk or especially if I eat ice-cream, then the cramps are made a lot worse. And I mean A LOT. Almost unbearable, in fact. If I eat or drink nothing, then the cramps are merely slightly uncomfortable. 

No, I`m not lactate sensitive or have any issues with dairy whatsoever.

Am I mutant???  :P

Never tried the full fat milk, I dont really recommend eating or drinking anything immediately after consuming the superhot pod. If I need to I might eat a few bites of ice cream. Most of the time I have nothing right after a pod test. Did you try what I recommended to you? Laying down on your back and rubbing your stomach? The stomach pain will go away much quicker. Most of the time I dont even need to rub my stomach since my method works great for me. Good luck! Just go with what works!

It takes about an hour for the cramps to come on and it`s then that I tried milk and/or ice cream. Yes, laying down and rubbing my stomach helps and I don`t really need to as long as I don`t have ice cream or milk. 

I'm in the same boat. Milk can make the cramps much worse (milk dose kill the heat). It dosen't happen alot, but when it dose it can be pretty bad, to the point where I just sorta end up on the floor anyway :) . Go for bread and then milk as a last resort to tone down the heat.

TXCG said:
My tried and true method for dealing with stomach cramps is pacing in circles, sweating, swearing & finally curling up in the fetal position and wondering why I didn't learn my lesson last time this happened. Works every time!
:lol: :doh:

I get cramps just watching the vids you guys post!

You might seek the advice of a doctor, I had to quit eating them as the cramps/pain/sweats/shaking just kept getting worse, I won't go into detail, but had to see the Doctor and he had some test done.  I ended up having a chunk of colon removed followed by some Chemo now I'm in the Heal up mode, no hot peppers allowed for at least three months. My meals are basically blender foods till every thing gets better. No the peppers didn't do it but sure let me know something was going wrong.

wildseed57 said:
You might seek the advice of a doctor, I had to quit eating them as the cramps/pain/sweats/shaking just kept getting worse, I won't go into detail, but had to see the Doctor and he had some test done.  I ended up having a chunk of colon removed followed by some Chemo now I'm in the Heal up mode, no hot peppers allowed for at least three months. My meals are basically blender foods till every thing gets better. No the peppers didn't do it but sure let me know something was going wrong.
Good advice and I`m really sorry to hear about your colon issues. I truly hope they got it early and the chemo destroyed anything the surgeon might have missed. I`ve seen a lot of people go through chemo and it can be a very, very rough ride.

Hot peppers as a cancer early warning system - I like it! Maybe Ed Currie is on to something and perhaps you could share your story with him? I`m not joking!

Ok, cramps they are a` gone.

I ate a chunky 7-pot Barrackpore today, but prepped for it by eating 5 big spoonfulls of peanut butter 2 hours after I ate breakfast. I`m allergic to wheat, so no bread for me and I hate peanut butter, but needs must. Zero effects after eating this pepper. Looks like I`ll have to develop a taste for peanut butter. Then again, they have Cashew butter at a local store...............

I don't see how yall can do the milk thing. Milk is already bad for your stomach unless its raw milk. And even then,milk and pepper? Doesn't really sound like a good combo and think yall are nuts. For me,eating a good meal before chowing down on a super hot works. Empty stomach and superhot = death! Everyone has different reactions though.

Milk is primarily used to kill the heat in the mouth and as stated does little to stop pain in the stomach buttermilk would be far better to drink to help in killing stomach pain as it does not cause the stomach to put out excess acid to digest it like whole milk does.
I wonder if there is a specific compound found in super hot peppers that is more or different from lower scoville peppers, that is causing the stomach pain and colon distress. I wonder if any studies have been made that identifies every compound and the amounts present in pods that are in the super hot class. 

My guess, and it`s only that, is that there is so much capsaicin oil in superhots that it precipitates in the stomach and coats the stomach walls to an extent. This is what causes cramps etc. I believe that eating something high in fat, like peanut butter, pre-coats the stomach with oil and gives the capsaicin oil somewhere to go without precipitating. 

I was trying full fat milk and ice-cream as I`ve heard they lesson stomach cramps, presumably because of the high fat content. In my case, both dairy products increased the cramps by a large amount. I do not understand why, but this is certainly not unique, nor is it universal. 

Poopasaurus - Dude, I desperately need some Morels like the one in your avatar!!!!! I used to hunt mushrooms when I live in Scotland. We found a lot - numerous boletes, chanterelles, etc but never Morels. 

hmm this reminds me of when I was in thailand drunk as a fool, ate some hot food at night from a tuktuk, the next day i cried like a baby when shitting.... it did not hurt going in, only out!!!! Like bad! Never had that sensation after eating superhots or food with superhots in it 

I used to have a good Thai friend who was a wonderful cook and really loved her own food, which was hot even by her standards. After being diagnosed with stomach ulcers she continued to eat hot (very hot) food laced with birds eye chillies, but with a bottle of Mylanta (antacid) on the table next to her plate.

Back