• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

sun Easy setup Sun Shade for the HOT Florida summer

Just wanted to share my new setup to try to combat the intense mid day sun down here in Northern Florida.. this setup still has the capability to have a small fence added around or more shade cloth if the south side gets a little to hot. I couldn't get too fancy due to the fact that we are only renting the house we are currently in. This is a easy, quick solution that was just put together using stuff at the local Lowe's. It measures 14'x5' and is 6' high.

Any suggestions fellas?

image_zps97995a28.jpeg

image_1_zps1ca1ace1.jpeg

image_2_zps086834d0.jpeg

image_3_zps52d67920.jpeg

Here is the crew just waiting out the storm on the patio. They cant wait to get in to their new home soon!
image_4_zps61e8db13.jpeg

So I have a question, how much shade does it provide? My backyard is directly south facing and I could see the sun getting in on the sides all day long as it moves across the sky.

looks good cant wait to see them plants under it loving life.    

you may find that you need to cover the south and west sides?  depending on what kind of blockage you have going on.  

JoynersHotPeppers said:
So I have a question, how much shade does it provide? My backyard is directly south facing and I could see the sun getting in on the sides all day long as it moves across the sky.

My back yard is facing directly west. So the house blocks most of the sun until about 9 or 10 am. then the shade is tall enough to let full sun in for about 2 hours till around 11 then its partial shade (says 75% blocked but i can guarantee that is wrong and its only around 50% blocked). Then at about 3pm the sun starts to shine under the shade in the west until about 5 then the neighbor's house blocks the direct sunlight but its still very sunny outside until around 7 or 8. The south side (the side where the sunflowers are) seems to be getting some extra light during the mid afternoon time as well. I am going to see how the like it for a week or so then if they seem to be getting to much sun I am going to consider adding another piece just to the south side.

EDIT: Just to clarify, the cover is longways east to west...

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Most of my plants get 12+ hours of full sun daily.....poor bastages!

Mine will I am sure once they are adults but right now due to my late start, most of mine just arn't ready for full sun. I have noticed that the more mature plants that i bought as seedlings are loving the hot sun except for the red savina

Suggestions?

Cooler full of beer and a chair.

You could surround the whole thing in that screen and turn that into a little room with a simple table/workbench, I love having everything I need right there.This is north florida and they may benefit from not being out directly the hot ass sun. It would help with pests too.

Thats what I would do. Just my opinion.

PepperDaddler said:
Suggestions?

Cooler full of beer and a chair.

You could surround the whole thing in that screen and turn that into a little room with a simple table/workbench, I love having everything I need right there.This is north florida and they may benefit from not being out directly the hot ass sun. It would help with pests too.

Thats what I would do. Just my opinion.

As a matter of fact, there was beer involved in the creation of this. I am considering wrapping the entire thing in shade cloth also. I dont know how much room for a table or anything i would have considering i will have more than 40 plants under there.

EDIT: You arn't too far away either. I am in Jacksonville.

I'm close to you also (Florahome), my problem is all the trees here. I will have to move mine around to find the SUN...

Great Idea

50% might be overkill. Here in central Florida I use 40% in full sun and 30% in a part shade situation such as yours. If your peppers start growing slow, you might need to replace with 30%.

PepperDaddler said:
How much did that set up cost you? Im thinking of doing something similar with PVC and shade cloth and I am trying to stay cheap.

Everything included it was around 60 dollars at Lowes.

My problem now it the damn wind from all of these storms lately. I think I might end up putting more cloth on the sides to cut down the wind a little bit.

Do you have a finished pi of it. I'm about to leave the house in 20 min. to go looking at supplies for mine.

Nevermind, just scrolled up and saw. I was imaginig something with cloth on the sides too.

PepperDaddler said:
Do you have a finished pi of it. I'm about to leave the house in 20 min. to go looking at supplies for mine.

Nevermind, just scrolled up and saw. I was imaginig something with cloth on the sides too.

Yeah, something I have learned since building it is that ACE hardware sells the shade cloth by the yard. Whereas Lowes sold it as a pre-packaged 6x15' roll. I am probably going to do at least the two long sides (north and south sides) in more cloth to try to cut the wind at least a little bit and limit the amount of ambient light getting in on the south side.

Back