• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Pulled Pork -

Hey, can someone please give me their secrets of making good pulled pork WITHOUT smoker. Seasoning, type of meat from the pork, preparation, degrees, time etc..... 

Google pernil and carnitas.

None really. Boston butt.

Pernil is a Cuban/Puerto Rican pulled pork.

Carnitas is a Mexican pulled pork.

Both are delicious.

Pernil is best when the skin crisps and is added to the pulled pork plate. Usually served with rice and beans, or yuca and onions.... tostones.

Carnitas is crisped in lard after is it pulled. So you have juicy pieces with crisped edges. Great for tacos, burritos, etc.

4-6 lb Pork But Roast.
make a Rub with chile powder, garlic powder, garlic salt, brown sugar, and black pepper.

Uncovered in oven at 225° F for 4-5 hours. cover tightly with foil for last 3-5 hours. 6-9 hours total.
After removing it from the oven, let it rest for at least 15 minutes, an hour is ok too.
Grab a couple forks and fork that thing. Or put on some sterile gloves and go to town pulling it apart.

This is a jumping off point. The only critical thing is the teperature and duration. You need to render the fat and break it down.

You can go nuts with basting, BBQ sauces etc. which might not be a bad idea since there is no smoke in the oven.
Same idea in the BBQ, but you can add a little pan of wood chips to get the smoky thing happinnen (true BBQ).
BBQs are a little trickier to keep at that temp for that long of time, but whatever your preference...

Good Luck!

And FYI, 225° F = 107° C

:shocked:

Come on now I gave two perfectly good pulled pork types that are not BBQ. BBQ is not in the oven!

Nord-Chili-

If you have a bbq grill, especially a gas one, there's a ghetto smoker set-up I've done a few times with great results. 

Basics are a stainless or small cast iron pan you don't mind destroying, place it right over the flames on one side (have to play around with location temps etc so the wood smokes) place wood chips in the pan, place the seasoned meat on the other side of the grill (off the heat) and then follow the basics for cooking whatever.  I have some pics posted here somewhere.  I'll try to find them if you're interested.

NorwegianChili said:
Nice!! Bbq, oven is what i Use

I thought you were saying you BBQ in the oven. Okay, now I understand it to mean you have a grill and an oven.

Anyway, originally I thought you were looking for oven recipes so I posted non-BBQ, as in carnitas, pernil. But you have a grill? Yes, you can smoke on a grill. Are you looking to smoke? Or roast?

For a 4-5 lb pork butt I would do it in the oven at 325 degrees for 6 hours. Put a little water in the bottom of a roasting pan and cover it with foil. Let it rest for an hour and pull pull pull. I have done 16 lb of it over the past two weeks. I hit it with my BBQ rub before I cook it. After I pull it I sprinkle a little more rub on it and dose it with my homemade ketchup/cider vinegar sauce. The stuff is killer. Always super tender and moist.

Scoville DeVille said:
325° is 100° too hot! 225° max.
and instead of water, use beer or fruit juice like apple juice.
I respect the low and slow. I used to do it that way until i started cooking for parties of 25 or more. Doing it the day before in the oven has served me well. I would argue that mine comes out just as tender and moist as the 225 version. When I pull them from the oven they have that gelatinous jello type wiggle when you poke them lol. I used to soak me in apple juice over night but didn't think it added that much flavor to the meat. I impart a smokey flavor with the smoked paprika and cumin I add to my rub.

3 little piggies...
image_zpsdd3ef8b9.jpg

2 more butts :)
image_zpsdc7d938b.jpg

Back