• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

condiment Salsa recipe time!

- three tomatoes or two cans of rotel.
- one habanero
- two serranos
- two jalapenos roasted in a dash of olive oil.
- 2/3 white onion
- three cloves of garlic
- two Tbsp garlic powder
- two Tbsp cumin
- one Tbsp black pepper
- one Tbsp salt (or to taste)
- a bunch of cilantro
- about a Tbsp of sugar.
- can of diced green chilis
- water to consistency of your choice.
- dash of vinegar
- squeezed lime.
liquefy in a blender.

I go by taste, so the measurements of the ingredients varies but that's around the amount I use.

lets hear yours!

I much prefer blended salsas. 

Roast 4 large tomatoes, 2 large tomatillos, 2 Jalapenos, 6 habaneros, 6 cloves of garlic and a medium onion in the oven at 350F for an hour. Take out and allow to cool. Remove all skins and chop roughly. Toss in a blender, blitz and add salt and pepper to taste. Chop a bunch of cilantro and add to the "tomato mush". Hey presto, salsa. 

I love smooth salsas, like the real Mexican ones in restaurants, but raw tomoatoes do not do well in the blender, the result is a pink foamy froth. That's why salsa verde is smooth and pico de gallo is diced. However, since you roasted your tomatoes, that's why it works. My favorite salsas don't have tomatoes. I like pepper-based Mexican salsas.

The authentic way is to use a molcajete.

This recipe calls for raw tomatoes and water blended until liquidified. I would not do that.

Fair enough. I have a nice molcajete, but in all honesty it`s a bit of a pain in the neck to use on a regular basis.

I remember seeing Rick Bayliss make a Yucatan salsa that was made of garlic, habaneros, lime and salt. The Garlic and habaneros were fire-roasted, skinned and combined with sea salt and lime juice in a molcajete. Sounds great to me. Maybe I`ll make some tonight!!!

half a pineapple diced small
one ripe mango diced small
minced cilantro about a cup 
minced (small) scallions about half a cup or less
minced (medium) scallion green almost a cup
a dash each  of salt, cumin, cinnimon, and allspice
juice of a lime  or about a quarter cup of rice vinegar
minced prepared hot pepper of your choice .-one haif to one whole red hab works for me.
Also a  minced fresh jala or serrano or two adds a little crunch.

I prepare the hot pepper by splitting,  de-seeding, and  smoking it and  then soaking in rice or apple cider vinegar at least a couple of weeks. 

Put all in a blender and short PULSE gently leaving the fruit a little chunky.

I used to have some Mexican and Guatemalan neighbors all living together in a trailer. Also the trailers on either side had more living in them. Anyway, I used to go there to hang out, drink modelo and corona, and play conquian, a Mexican card game. It was a lot of fun and they are the most friendly and giving people you will meet. I will never forget it. I actually have some jalapeno plants growing this year from a guy named Pasquale and they are the biggest, most healthy plants so far.

I learned a lot of new authentic recipes from them and a salsa that is so damn good. It is a verde good on anything.

Here's what is in it:

I don't worry too much about exact amounts, that's why I did not post them.

Lots of Jalapenos
1 or 2 cloves garlic
Lots of salt (they love their salt)

It is very sencillo, but is very delicioso.

Oh, and they always used a blender...

I like blended salsas except tomato. Like I said, that creates a watery foam. The peppers hold up though. I like smooth salsas better. That's what they serve at authentic joints. One place I go to brings out 3 different salsas with the chips. All smooth, not diced. Most likely a blender since it's a restaurant. By hand in a molcajete is a lot of work. Even for guac!

:welcome: AlexanderB~

Thanks for sharing your recipe.  It sounds good except for the water.  If the recipe needs more liquid, try adding tomato juice instead of water. 

JJJJJessseee  (sic?)  :lol:   has a good recipe also.   There's tons of great recipes in the link Scovie posted.  The great thing about salsa is...there's basically no wrong recipe!  It's like chili (that cooked soup concoction that usually contains meat and tomatoes and sometimes BEANS... [that's a whole other thread we've already been down!  )  everyone has their own favorite recipe and everyone thinks theirs is the best. 

Heck, as long as it tastes good and I'm invited, I love 'em all!  :cool:

Back