Selling peppers already dehydrated?

Hello All.  I've been a lurker for far too long, so I figured I'd try my hand at posting a topic.  Anyway, here's the scenario... I was at a farm that sells pods that they smoke and dehydrate on site.  I bought a decent amount in bulk.  So, if I make powders and flakes with them, what would I have to do in order to sell at FMs?  Since I am not dehydrating them myself, are they already considered processed?  Am I required to be a certified food processor prior to selling even if I am only doing the grinding?  Do I have to produce any documentation of any sort to show that they were smoked and dehydrated in a certified facility?   

Worst case scenario, I have a ton of personal use powder that would have cost me a fortune to purchase one ounce at a time.  I am actively trying to start a small powder/sauce business and I thought this might be a way to get in the game a little earlier... at least until I can do my own stuff again in August.  When that day comes, I know I will have to have a list of processor credentials and I'm on it.  I guess I will call the Dept. of Ag. on Monday to sort out the details, I was just looking to see what my THPeeps thought of the situation.  

Laws and regulations vary from one state to another. Try Googling or contacting the Department of Food or Agriculture for Pennsylvania, and see what they say as far as requirements for being a food processor and selling them.

Thanks elcap.  I did do a quick search on regulations and the federal version popped up.  After seeing all the lawyerese in front of me I decided to wait until Monday to call PA Department of Agriculture.  I'll continue to look for more dumbed down versions specific to PA (is that redundant?). 

My bottler only buys fresh pods--color of the scorpians does not matter only size and quality.. He equates it to buying a fish with he head on so you know exactly what you are getting rather than a filet and the fish dude says its one fish when its actually another.

My bottler only buys fresh pods--color of the scorpians does not matter only size and quality.. He equates it to buying a fish with he head on so you know exactly what you are getting rather than a filet and the fish dude says its one fish when its actually another.
I like that metaphor. While they all appear to be what they are billed as, you can tell that some were still green when they procesed them. I made some last night and tested them... two thumbs up. Do you use Endorphin Farms? They seem to be very good. I'm hoping that I can drum up enough interest in my sauces over the next year to make a call to them worthwile.

You may want to get the powder/flakes prepped first to see yield. It take a lot of pods to yield enough to make it worth it.
Hey JAG... will do. I don't need much to start... just enough to hold me over 'til first harvest.

Back