• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Morguas taking forever to grow

I planted my scorpions back in February I think. The only one that's still alive is 4 or 5 inches high and doesn't have a ton of leaves. I used 1:1:1 perilite, peat moss, and potting soil. Otherwise a while ago I put a little bit of blood meal in their diet once or twice but haven't done that for months.

They're drying until they're almost wilting and then just a little watering. So it's not overwatering.

Ideas?

Edit: it's getting as much sun as possible without burning them. It's in the best Window in the house. But if I try to set it outside it gets sunburned in hours.

I have two peach ghost scorps growing.... one is in a 5 gallon grow bag, the other is in a 2 qt planter.... both planted from seed the same day. I transplanted the first to the grow bag and ran out of soil, so the other stayed in the little transitional pot..... the one in the grow bag is three times the size of the little one now. Little one is barely a foot tall. I'd bank on the container. And dosing it with nutes on a regular schedule will definitely help.

hmmmm....  yeah, you'd think it would be chest high by now then. Is there somewhere outside that you could put it where it would get morning sun and afternoon/evening shade or diffused light? Could you possibly set up a shade cloth? The warmer roots will help stimulate growth as well.

I just read through your post again and I'm only left with one question.... are you sure you aren't UNDER-watering?

Yeah, it's definitely just the right amount of water. I can set them right next to the north side of my house and they'd only get an hour or two of direct sun all day.

Something isn't right for them to be stunted and dying off like that. Large pot, "just the right amount" of water, morning sun, best window in the house..... if all of the conditions were as optimal as presented, they should be doing quite well, not dying. Don't know what other factor to look at except for the lack of nutes.

This picture was taken on May 3, this year. The ghost scorpion on the right is now in a 5 gallon grow bag, about waist high, and full of big, broad leaves. The one on the left is still in the same pot seen in the picture and it might be a foot tall. 

8703966475_0fafdd1263_b.jpg

Something isn't right for them to be stunted and dying off like that. Large pot, "just the right amount" of water, morning sun, best window in the house..... if all of the conditions were as optimal as presented, they should be doing quite well, not dying. Don't know what other factor to look at except for the lack of nutes.

This picture was taken on May 3, this year. The ghost scorpion on the right is now in a 5 gallon grow bag, about waist high, and full of big, broad leaves. The one on the left is still in the same pot seen in the picture and it might be a foot tall. 

8703966475_0fafdd1263_b.jpg
They were dying because my father kept drowning them every 4 hours and they all got damping off while I was on vacation. This is all that's left once I got them away from him.

AHhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!! How long have they been recovering?

Well over a month. But it was only a 1 week period that they were dying one by one.

All there is left to do is wait and see, I suppose. Hopefully the roots aren't rotting on the one you have left. maybe try a root stimulant....

N-hexane said:
It's way bigger than even a fully grown plant would need, trust me. The roots probably aren't even 1/3 of the way across it yet. http://imgur.com/odQNVuu

I just got to see the picture of the pot.... if that plant is only 5" tall or so, then I would say that no, that pot isn't big enough for a full sized plant. Try transplanting into a 5 gallon pot. Within a couple of weeks, that guy should take off. At least pull the root ball out of the pot and post a picture of it without disturbing the soil around it. My guess, judging by that picture, is that it's root bound.
Same plants from the earlier pic.... Taken a few minutes ago. I don't think your current grow lag is due to your dad's over watering.

9257385301_aea0c25ec1_b.jpg

Your soil seems like it could be lacking nutes and your plant looks yellow get a good fertilizer with nitrogen to promote growth

I'm afraid to take out the plant because the plants that died recently had the root system of a clover. I'm certain it would die. The roots were only spread out like 3 inches and there were 2 or 3 major roots about a millimeter in diameter with a few tiny ones growing out.

Nightshade said:
Your soil seems like it could be lacking nutes and your plant looks yellow get a good fertilizer with nitrogen to promote growth

Somehow I got water insoluble blood meal. My question when I noticed it says insoluble is how the hell can a plant even absorb it? It's miracle grow brand porcine blood meal from a garden store.

N-hexane said:
I'm afraid to take out the plant because the plants that died recently had the root system of a clover. I'm certain it would die. The roots were only spread out like 3 inches and there were 2 or 3 major roots about a millimeter in diameter with a few tiny ones growing out.

Somehow I got water insoluble blood meal. My question when I noticed it says insoluble is how the hell can a plant even absorb it? It's miracle grow brand porcine blood meal from a garden store.

Gotcha. So it just doesn't seem to be growing at all. I would start by hitting it with some general veggie fertilizer.... at LEAST triple 13. I use MG tomato plant food, and the plants seem to love it, but I know a lot of folks here like to stay away from MG for whatever reason. Works fine for me though. Feed it following the directions on the package, and possibly add a bit of root stimulator to kick that baby into growing gear. It's also possible that it doesn't like the soil that it's in, but if the root system is as underdeveloped as you say, then I agree with you not taking it out yet. Work on getting it growing first, then you can look at getting it some good dirt later. It may even decide to take off in time to fruit this year.... not likely in Minny, but hey, here's to hoping! Good luck man. Keep us updated!

It's finally growing some new leaves and has grown about half an inch since I last posted. Maybe it was a simple nutrient deficiency.

Back