• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Moving Advice, 100+ Plants Involved

Alright, so I am moving back to Texas soon to start working on my hot sauce company full time (Texas Tears). I am currently in California. I have over 100 plants, mostly my Chiltepin and Habanero plants, that I will be needing to keep for my hot sauce.

My plan is to put all my plants into one of those pack yourself crates. The only issue I am having is that most of them are giving me 10 business day delivery times. This means that when they pick up my crate on August 2nd, the plants will be inside and won't be able to be opened again until the 17th, 2 weeks later.

What would you all recommend that I do in order to keep as many plants alive as possible during their two week sunless waterless drive? I was thinking I could soak them in water overnight the day before I pack them into the crate. Then maybe mist them a bit with more water so that they don't dry out. I can't really keep any water in the trays underneath them, because if that gets out of the boxes they are in, it would ruin most of my stuff. What else could I do to preserve them?

I really don't want to have to do this whole process over. I've been growing these plants from seeds since January, and they are just now starting to flower and give me the ability to cross them between one another. If I lose a couple, I won't be too sad. I just want to make sure most of them arrive alive and healthy enough to bring them back to life.

By the way, if you're interested in my hot sauce, follow us: https://www.facebook.com/TexasTears

cross5.jpeg

Wow... that's a dilemma, for sure. Is there any chance you can drive them there yourself? Or maybe pay the outrageous cost to air mail them?

Phil said:
Wow... that's a dilemma, for sure. Is there any chance you can drive them there yourself? Or maybe pay the outrageous cost to air mail them?
Right.. Like get a uhaul and generator for your lights.

To mail them it would be almost $50 per box, and I would need almost 6 boxes if I pack them 16 to a 24" x 24" x 24" box. They would move around a lot though, and probably be severely damaged upon arrival.

Here's what you do..... hire a private driver with a big 17' U-Haul or something..... hell, pay a family member. Tell them "here's the deal. We put these on the truck, close the door, and you start driving. I'll be right behind you. We get there, we open the door and unload them. Kapish?" 24 hours later, your plants are moved and no worries about the two week delay.

A UHaul is an option, but the problem I have with that is the cost of moving with one. I would have to get a trailer for my car, along with a large enough UHaul, and fill it up with a lot more gas than I would my car. The PackRat 16" container costs me $2300. Just the UHaul equipment would be $2200 plus probably over $300 in gas and the frustration of driving a huge truck with a trailer and a friend, dog, and cat in the 2 person cab. Hahaha.

I think they will make it, as long as I soak them long enough. I don't see them getting too dry from just being in a dark container. And a little lack of sunlight for a while shouldn't hurt them too much. I just want someone to tell me they will be fine so I don't have to worry.

I was thinking a U-Haul JUST for the plants. You, of course, keep the current plans to move yourself and your other belongings. The peppers are a different matter though. You obviously need them for your endeavor, so moving them as quickly and safely as possible is a must. The cost of the U-Haul for the amount of miles sure is high, but what will you lose if the plants don't make it? And there's a real chance they won't, untended for two weeks. Could you send for them after you move?

If they don't make it, I'll lose about 6 months of growing time, plus the cost of seeds ($20 or so) and the cost of two Rapid Rooter mats, which are $26 each. I'll have to find a way to ship them probably. Let me see if I can get the shipping costs down using UPS or FedEx.

And you would probably only need a 14' truck to move just the plants, since they're still young. I was assuming mature plants when I first suggested 17'

Dustin said:
If they don't make it, I'll lose about 6 months of growing time, plus the cost of seeds ($20 or so) and the cost of two Rapid Rooter mats, which are $26 each. I'll have to find a way to ship them probably. Let me see if I can get the shipping costs down using UPS or FedEx.

....and a full year on the start-up of the sauce business......
revenue, baby. Revenue

$470 to ship 6 24" x 24" x 24" boxes UPS ground. They are mature plants though, and I'd have to trim them a bit to make them fit into a 2 foot tall box.

Do you have a trailer hitch on your car? If not, you can probably get one (depending on the car). Rather than rent a trailer, I would personally look for a good deal and buy one. If you don't have a reason to keep the trailer after your move, you can sell it for what you paid for it, or maybe even make a few bucks on the sale.

If I ship them on Monday, it will only take them 3 days and have them there by Thursday. It's possible, but its still almost $500.

2 weeks in a metal box going from California to Texas during a heat wave where it`s over 100°F all the way. it would probably be 130°F inside the box, so I can`t see them making it.

Have you any experience with cloning? You could mail decent sized cuttings wrapped in damp paper towel via UPS and in 3 days they could be ready for root growth in Texas. 

You can put a hitch on that car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=23afditklL4

A small enclosed trailer would be perfect IMO.

Dustin said:
If I ship them on Monday, it will only take them 3 days and have them there by Thursday. It's possible, but its still almost $500.

$500 now for double that in revenue from the sauce? Risk/reward?
Nigel said:
2 weeks in a metal box going from California to Texas during a heat wave where it`s over 100°F all the way. it would probably be 130°F inside the box, so I can`t see them making it.

Have you any experience with cloning? You could mail decent sized cuttings wrapped in damp paper towel via UPS and in 3 days they could be ready for root growth in Texas. 

And that's just the drive.... that doesn't take into account sitting in their storage for two weeks. Pepper plants are strong. They can take a couple of days of it.... not two weeks, I'm sure.

True. I think I know what I'll do. I'm still going to put them in the crate and see if they make it.

However, before I move I will do 2 things. I'm going to do as Nigel suggested and take some cuttings, keep them with me as I drive there, and clone them when I arrive. I actually already have Clonex. I'll also save seeds from all of the peppers that are growing for the next few weeks until I move out. I'll have some Rapid Rooter mats delivered to my new address so they are there as soon as I arrive, where I can place both the cuttings and the seeds that I saved.

That way I can have something going just in case when I open up my container all of my plants are dead, or not in a state worth saving. Plus, I am crossing them anyways, and the plants I have now are only the parent plants. I have Sonoran Chiltepin, Texas Chiltepin, and Orange Habanero plants all intermingling and having a sexy plant three-way orgy. I'll just be one step ahead by getting their babies started and growing in a new location. If their parents make it, I'll harvest the peppers and make sauce out of them. If not, I'll purchase the peppers until my new species is ready.

Best of luck! BUT - there's always a big, hairy but, isn't there? - If they don't make it, you won't be making sauce this year. Hope it works out for you!

Back