• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

tomarto question

Hi All

I know this might be the wrong forum but cant see one thats closer.

Any one got any good cheap tips about stopping tomarto's from falling over in the wind if i grow then caned up in a grow bag lent against a conservatory?

Thanks

Russell Lilley

last year i tried using netting accross some stakes on either side and letting the plants grow around it. they ended up needing some assistence growing around it which got harder and harder as the plants got bigger, for the most part it held them up except the end of one row still fell over and that was bloody awful to put right again. it was cheap but still high maintenence...

also try a couple of 5 gallon pails with holes in the bottom so you can hang the pail and the tomato will hang out the bottom.
this eliminates the need to stake and works well with a few kinds of tomatos

i don't super love stakes or cages, a lot of the plants usually go down anyways, that's why i tried the netting but i didn't like that either. i can never find cages that are tall enough, and while i've seen really tall stakes they're so flimsy it takes like three for one plant once there's fruit. i still haven't decided what i'm gonna try this year.

is there anything overhead about 6-7 ft that you could run a wire/heavy line vertical and use clips to attach plant to line.
or
2 T shaped clothes line poles a few yards apart ...run heavy gauge wire like you would with clothes line, plants grow under wire and are trained to grow up and then out along the wire...use clips to secure plants up and along wire
or
try horizontal ,just take a small T post and stake plant horizontal as it get a couple feet tall ,just add another post as plant grows,and so on.

hope this helps.

pablo

tip: for this to work ,you must train plant as a vine,not a bush,so you must pinch the suckers and force plant into a single vine,until it gets to the top ,then leave last 2 suckers and cut main tip ,this will force plant to split and continue into a dual vine .

For me, Multiple long stakes per plant works great. Make sure you tie the stem and brances firmly with not too harsh material. If you get very strong wind and your plant is heavy. it is either going to topple or, bend. Just the fact of life.

Here is my sungold plant from last year. The plant was more than 7 feet tall.

IMG_0002.jpg

I belive this is 4th of July and Roma - the second picture shows multiple metal stakes. They are made out of the pipes that they use to run electric lines through them. I scored number of them for free from my neighbor. :P.

Hope this helps.

IMG_0003.jpg

nice looking tomato plants Sanj..

I use the stake and cage method when needed...all my tomatoes will be in cages and as they grow and need main stem support, I stake them and use a loose twist tie to hold them to the stake...once the plants get large enough, the branches will grow through the cages and support themselves...

AJ - here in colorado, I do not have as long of the growing season as you do in TX. I am jealous of your long season..and nice warm weather. By the time my tomatoes are in a peak of growth, then it is almost time for snow...yikes.

You are right...I first grow them in the tomato cage. Then as they grow bigger, I start with one stake at time. As they grow even bigger, then I add more stakes as needed.

I use 4 8-10 ft heavy wooden stakes and cage in with metal grid netting or chicken wire(The stuff they use in concrete is great) or you can build a ladder for them to climb.

Potawie,

Are those 5-gallon containers? I tried one last year in a five gallon container but one used for houseplants (it had the bottom attached to keep water from draining onto the floor. I think that may have retained too much water as once it got to the fruit bearing stage, it went almost dormant. Another one never got untracked, it grew upwards but with few leves, even though it was in bright sunlight most of the time. As a joke, I entered it in the County Fair. There were so few entries I was going to get a ribbon for it but declined.
poortomato.jpg

Mike

Ya, 5 gallon containers. The tom in the pic was eventually put in the ground and did well but I had some good results with some taller slightly larger containers.

I can't find a pic that shows the pot right now but here's the plant

POTAWIE said:
Ya, 5 gallon containers. The tom in the pic was eventually put in the ground and did well but I had some good results with some taller slightly larger containers.

I can't find a pic that shows the pot right now but here's the plant

What beautiful tomatoes! What kind is that, Potawie?

POTAWIE said:
I use 4 8-10 ft heavy wooden stakes and cage in with metal grid netting or chicken wire(The stuff they use in concrete is great) or you can build a ladder for them to climb.

i love it!...and mum's going to hate it...

well, she'll like the tomatoes...

Back