• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Plant isn't to happy :(

Howdy all. 
This is my first post, so sorry if it's in the wrong section or anything.

I need some help, my 2 scotch bonnet plants which I grow inside has been covered in this weird white stuff.
I can't explain it very well, so I got some pictures of it.

http://i.imgur.com/8102Co2.jpg

It's on the back of every leave and they are all covered in it. 
It makes the plant's leaves fall down and look unhealthy.

http://i.imgur.com/HlFhMo8.jpg

Not sure what to do, any help will be appreciated :)

Hot Head said:
I noticed you put aphid in the tags, have you seen any aphids on your plants?

Could it be mildew?
I haven't seen any, to be honest I don't even know what they look like, all I have seen if flies on em.
And I don't think it's mildew. 

I am no pro here, matter of fact my first  year....I thought I would ask because I know ahids leave behind a dew like substance on the leaves.

millworkman said:
Oedema. You are overwatering.
Really? I actually think that I am under watering, how often should I be watering? I normally give it a good watering every 2 or 3 days.
ChilliNoob said:
Really? I actually think that I am under watering, how often should I be watering? I normally give it a good watering every 2 or 3 days.
If that is so, I just gave them a lot of water before posting this. My pots also don't have any holes for drainage either :( 

Thats your problem, drainage holes. You need some holes and only water when the pots are super light or the plant is wilting from no water.
my indoor plants get maybe once a week watering even in tiny pots.

Good news! You found your problem. Your pots need LOTS of holes to drain. 1/2" holes drilled around the bottom and the bottom sides of the pots work well. Soil should be well-draining with perlite or vermiculite.

millworkman said:
Thats your problem, drainage holes. You need some holes and only water when the pots are super light or the plant is wilting from no water.

Yep... what he said ^^^^^^^

millworkman said:
Ok thanks a lot buddy! 
ms1476 said:
Good news! You found your problem. Your pots need LOTS of holes to drain. 1/2" holes drilled around the bottom and the bottom sides of the pots work well. Soil should be well-draining with perlite or vermiculite.
Thanks for the help. 

ya i have a carolina reaper about 3 feet tall and 3 feet wide inside bushy as hell and i maybe water once a week to once ever week and a half

Is the white stuff on the leaves sticky? Aphids sometimes leave a white sticky residue on the leaves and in this stuff is the white shells of the newly hatched aphids.

The plant in the second picture looks to have wilted due to heat and day sun... try watering it at night and seeing if it looks any better first thing in the morning.

Back