• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

Ever use Grolsch bottles for sauce storage?

I bought a case of beer this afternoon and was tempted to by Grolsch in order to get 24 sauce bottles as I usually I use screw cap woozies - unfortunately the $60AUD price put me off a little bit.

does the dark glass help the sauce to survive longer? does the seal provide a long lasting airtight seal, say 12 months or more? any other comments?

I do like see my sauce in the bottle...

I have thought of the same thing CM64...I have about 8 or 9 16 oz ones in the cabinet...the only thing I am concerned with is the seal itself...the material it is made of looks extremely durable...but thats JMHO...

I wonder what the green glass would do to the color...I know it will be greener... :lol:

Bad idea. The way the tops sit, hot sauce will drip all over and I've heard of people getting sprayed with sauce when opening them.

what i really meant was figuring yellow and red make orange so since green is yellow and blue (if i remember correctly) the sauce would be dark orange since you have the blue component...

or as pam said...darker...duh...

The swing top seals are incredibly durable and are sought after by brewers. They can be used to contain 10-20 PSI over and over again, so they would contain unpressurized sauce just fine.

Potowie probably has a point. It could spray, and it would almost certainly get really crusty.

yeah I wasn't too sure about the seal and hadn't considered crusty deposits or air pockets. I think wide-necked bottles may be better for homemade product.

I bought a case of beer this afternoon and was tempted to by Grolsch in order to get 24 sauce bottles as I usually I use screw cap woozies - unfortunately the $60AUD price put me off a little bit.

Grolsch? $60 a box?? Where??

at my local Liquorland, in Sydney. why, do you find that to be a good price?

regardless of all the negatives, my next slab will be Grolsch and we'll see what happens.

Hey CM,

Don't know really, just like the beer and havent had it in a while. I just bought a box of Boags Premium for 60, so I wouldn't mind getting the bottles of Grolsch for if and when I make my own.

RS

I just went to a local glass distributor yesterday looking for some woozies as you all have tempted me to make a new orange hab sauce with that orange hab thread. They had no woozies, so I bought these flask type bottles that have the Grolsch-style tops. I will be making the sauce today so I will let you know how it (and the bottles) turn out.

POTAWIE said:
Bad idea. The way the tops sit, hot sauce will drip all over and I've heard of people getting sprayed with sauce when opening them.

1st hot sauce will drip all over any bottle you have, even those 5 oz bottles because sauce will get lodged in the cap & drip some, the same ammount in a bottle like a flip top bottle.
neither of them drip that much & if they do its about the same.

2nd you keep saying people get sprayed while opening those type of bottles with hot sauce in them. then why dont people get sprayed when opening the bottle of beer when its under pressure ?
& I never got sprayed by my hot sauce in my grolsch bottle, I know its only 1 bottle but if its such a issue then I would of at least got sprayed once.

I tried putting homemade hot sauce in the grolsch bottles last season, & it was a big hassle to put the sauce in those bottles. unless your hot sauce is very runny sauce you wont like using them.
I used a funnel & had to use a ? (forget what I used) to push the sauce through the funnel into the grolsch bottle. & yes the sauce was kinda thick. after filling 1 bottle I put the rest into canning jars, which was much easier & will do this from now on because I like thicker hot sauces.

oh yea that rubber seal is a one time use. its a canning seal, once its been used for the beer its not good for sealing hot sauce, well at least not for shelf storeage or long term storeage. seals are a 1 time use.

1st I don't have that problem with woozies, only flip tops and they get really crusty.

2nd I've never been sprayed but this topic has come up before on chile forums and it apparently happens. Its likely not the pressure as much as the nature of the cap.

3rd As far as I know, they are reusable. As cheezydemon said, they are good for up to 10-20 psi

you know it may as well spray some sauce on people, I never experienced anything with the 1 bottle I used, which isnt much of a experiment to make a judgement call on, but it never sprayed thats all.

when it comes to canning, which that rubber seal on the grolsch bottle is a seal used in a type of canning, seals are only good for 1 time use.
you seal a product once that seal is broke that product should be kept in the fridge & when the product is used up throw the seal away.

Ok I am trying an experiment. I just finished my orange hab sauce a little while ago, let it cool, and funneled it into my flask bottle with the grolsch-style top. The sauce turned out awesome, I'll keep you posted on the bottle.

Back