• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking New to smoking 2

Rightio, havin a crack at this whole smoking thing.

Got some grain fed wagyu brisket, never used, so first time trimming, seasoning etc. see how it goes

FINGERS CROSSED

SDC12228.JPG

SDC12229.JPG

SDC12230.JPG

I'm interested in seeing how this turns out.  I'm told that wagyu beef is supposed to be one of the best.

I love you Booma. and not in a weird way.

Youre first try, and you are already a master. Look at that meat, LOOK AT IT!!!!
Smoke ring, Juicynext and fantasticallness. wow.

Someone call 9-1-1 Booma's killin me!

Haha cheers!!

The rub was a mix of salt and pepper..... paprika, cinnamon, and a dash of cider vinegar

Already getting pumped for trying Ribs

cider vinegar?

Well that's a cool twist!

As dark as that beautiful bark is, I was guessing some sugar! Fooled me!!!!!  :)

RandyYJ said:
What internal temp did you pull it off at?
It's not about internal temp. It's about maintaing a low temp like 225° for a long period of time. 8 hours is a long time, but it needs a long time to render the fat and break down the fibers to make it nice and tender. That is how you achieve the "melt in your mouth" texture.
Poultry is a different story, when it reaches 163° it's time to pull it.

Booma said:
DA

DA

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

attachicon.gif
SDC12218.JPG

attachicon.gif
SDC12219.JPG

attachicon.gif
SDC12220.JPG

attachicon.gif
SDC12221.JPG

attachicon.gif
SDC12223.JPG

attachicon.gif
SDC12224.JPG
If this was twitter - puke! - this would garner a #creamyjeans #ouchmyzipper #sproioioioing!

AWESOME pit, Boom. The builder did indeed think of it all!

Scoville DeVille said:
It's not about internal temp. It's about maintaing a low temp like 225° for a long period of time. 8 hours is a long time, but it needs a long time to render the fat and break down the fibers to make it nice and tender. That is how you achieve the "melt in your mouth" texture.
Poultry is a different story, when it reaches 163° it's time to pull it.

You can wing it but it's all about internal temps! Spending that much on a nice smoker I wouldn't wing it.

From another post re brisket:

The Hot Pepper said:
You need an internal thermometer because you can't guess at this. The meat will cook and then there is a period when the connective tissue/fat is being converted to gelatin/juices. The temperature will not rise for a very long time. This is called the plateau period. You have to watch carefully because once everything is converted the temperature will start to rise quickly and you can easily overcook it (holds more true for pork butt), so wait for your desired temp, pull it, and let it rest. Yes, 2 hours is the minimum for brisket. Some wrap in foil, others say it ruins the bark and it is still cooking. I find this true, the best method is in an Igloo type cooler. It is a large cut and the resting allows the juices to redistribute, just like in a steak, but think of the size difference here and you'll understand the time difference.

Keep in mind it can plateau anywhere from 180 to 205. There is no real target temperature for doneness, pitmasters have the fork twist method, the shake method, etc., but you'll only know how to judge by those methods after many tries. For newbies, poke the brisket with a skewer or the probe of the thermometer, and when the meat is tender it will slide in and out with no resistance. This will usually happen at 180-90 but some pitmasters cook longer for tenderness. Believe it or not you can cook it up to 205 and it will be more tender, but it will start to fall apart, which is okay for sandwiches, but really you should shoot for the 180-190 window, especially for nice slices, assuming it has plateaued.

^^^^ Correct. 180-190° F is the target temp for a brisket to start breaking down the collagen and fat. That's when the magic happens. Until then, you might as well be cooking a shoe.

Man alive, I envy that smoker! Looks like someone put a little char-griller like mine on steroids and turned it into a man!

I had this in the pit for about 6 1/2 hours till it hit about 185-190 internal then wrapped it in foil, close the firebox down quite a bit, and left it for another 1 1/2 hours. Turned out pretty good, little bit of beginners luck

Booma said:
Turned out pretty good, little bit of beginners luck

My wife says the best ribs I ever made using the 3-2-1 method was the first rack.  Apparently I haven't been able to duplicate the results since then.

Booma said:
I had this in the pit for about 6 1/2 hours till it hit about 185-190 internal then wrapped it in foil, close the firebox down quite a bit, and left it for another 1 1/2 hours. Turned out pretty good, little bit of beginners luck

Luck? No.... your research paid off!

Back