• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

peppers/canada?

Nothing much yet i have some outside and some under indoor lighting the ones outside have lots of flowers so i hope somthing soon and the ones inside are still in veg and i will finish them off with HID lighting later in the year. First year growing it has been fun.

Nearly impossible to order fresh super hots in Canada so its buy pepper powder or grow your own. :D

some of my overwintered plants have delivered pods, caribbean red & orange hab.

for first year plants, no ripening yet. bulgarian carrot was first to set pods, followed by superchile. surprisingly yellow 7's starting pod set and are growing at a rapid rate. bhuts have nothing, maybe a few flowers with dorsets being the first to flower. chocolate & yellow bhuts are concerning me and i may have to find a new seed source or remove them from my grow list or come up with a new grow plan for them.

the other overwintered plants with flowers and pods are datil, douglah, red scorpion, cumari and i just spied a few quintisho pods.

biggest disappointment are thai & tabasco showing no sign of even attempting to flower and it is second year for the tabasco - both will be compost material in october.

good growing

ill post a couple pics of my 4 big plats
carolina reaper
trinidad scorpion moruga
7-pot brain strain
7-pod douglah

my peppers as of today

7-pot brain strain
Plantsjuly21001.jpg

Plantsjuly21002.jpg

trinidad scorpion moruga
Plantsjuly21003.jpg

Plantsjuly21004.jpg

7-pod douglah
Plantsjuly21005.jpg

Plantsjuly21006.jpg

carolina reaper
Plantsjuly21007.jpg

Plantsjuly21008.jpg

my plants have 50+ flowers all around 18" or taller and a few have like 10 little pods, 1 has 1 big pod and 1 has 2 big pods

I harvested this little gem last friday and today there are 3 more ripe and I think a few more of the 30 or so pods are about ready to change too. This was my first ever home grown chili, and my first raw eat other than jalapenos from the grocey store. I *THINK* from looking around here that it's a serrano pepper but I'm not positive. The label said "red chile pepper - very hot". It wasn't that hot, more than a jalapeno though.

w5sk.jpg

I have full size pods on all my plants now so they're coming soon! -- I hope.

I *THINK* from looking around here that it's a serrano pepper but I'm not positive
Aaron, that is not a serrano but is a really common thai type chile. it could be anything from basic thai to goat horn or rooster spur, could be suryanki cluster or many of the others that look just like that - perhaps superchile, there are so many that look alike and since it is an annuum variety that is readily available anywhere. it lacks the rimple at the top of the pepper that is so common in cayenne, so i doubt it is a cayenne.

i wouldn't waste any time trying to figure out what it is. important thing is you grew it! save the seeds and call it your house pepper, not sure where you are in life but call it after your first born or your mother's name, i like to use the store/grocer name with my added name appeal as a naming convention, that way if you decide to get on some trading train at least people can identify where the pepper variety came from(ie.Longo's red chile or Longo's Rita red chile- trying to think of grocers in your backyard or nurseries). but like all of us, we continually run into the common "red chile pepper", since it has done so well for you, make it your keeper...... no, i don't want seeds, i have several that look just like it and will never grow but good on you! 

I have a bunch of jalapeno and cherry bomb pods about to ripen, but my chinense are way behind.  First pods just starting to form on my Fatalii's. 

I'm waiting for the jalapenos to turn red before picking, but it's been nearly 3 weeks!  I guess I'm a true pepper head... I love to torture myself! LOL

Your plants look fantastic, Balduvian!

my carolina reaper is starting to set pods like crazy now, got like 10+ over the past week, hopefully they survive long enough for weather lol.. but i can move them inside if need be

First pods just starting to form on my Fatalii's; my carolina reaper is starting to set pods like crazy now, got like 10+ over the past week
this is when it happens man, 3rd & 4 week of july, everything aligns and when previous flowers dropped, now they stay and have pollen. just make sure you shake the plants - lightly,  to encourage pollination. 

hope your harvest is good!

fatalii is one of my favourite. especially seed i purchased from greta's organic gardens, they are the hottest things i have every put in my mouth. i thought there was a problem with my fatalii, being orange and so hot you couldn't even smell it without my eyes watering. so i purchased another batch of seeds from peppermania and got the traditional yellow fatalii that everyone raves about - be clear, there is yellow and orange fatalii! the orange will ruin your life, i made dried powder and won't give it away - even a dusting of the powder can be too much. when the wife looks at me and sees red dripping eyes and nose and a stupid look on my face, she knows i was playing with the fatalii powder

This was where I came up with my serrano

again  i don't know most members pasts, serrano is usually described as bullet shaped. but i wouldn't expect most younger canadians to get that, being most have been neutered of guns and only see bullets in the movies. when my serranos ripen, i think, where's my winchester. i have this cool serrano plant that gives 1.5" pods, they are quite tasty and being 1" they mature faster and are ready to eat in no time at all. the product is "ferry morse" serrano chili with a 2001 lot date. i was at walmart today and could have bought 3" serrano but i like my 1 inchers with compact flavour.

hope everyone's grow season explodes with delicious pods!

Burning Colon said:
again  i don't know most members pasts, serrano is usually described as bullet shaped. but i wouldn't expect most younger canadians to get that, being most have been neutered of guns and only see bullets in the movies. when my serranos ripen, i think, where's my winchester

Wow, really? 'Lotta assumptions there, Bud.

lol depends on the part of canada, anywhere up north and its like texas everyone has a gun and every type of gun, they all hunt and what not. just cause canada is a country everyone thinks is tree hugging and nice dont mean it is lol. we could say all americans are assholes cause world wise assumption is that... so please lets not comment like that its not cool

I have had a whole bunch of peppers ripen for me, Red Bhut, Peach Bhut, Yellow Fatali, Chocolate Bhut, Sapporo and Santa Fe Grande. Also have 7 Pot Douglah thats almost ripe.

I've had a few (10-20) pods ripen so far this season, but I have a ton on the way. Happy to see other Canadians having similar results this year!

Bhut Jolokia Red, Bhut Jolokia Yellow, Caribbean Red Hab
bhuts-redhab.jpg

Bhut Jolokia Chocolate
bhut-jolokia-chocolate.jpg

Bhut Jolokia Red
bhut-jolokia-full-red.jpg

Back