• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Dark Plants Thread!

What lovely plants! Seems like it could be a good thread. Hope this takes off.

a0e43c-300.jpg
pepper_pm_22.jpg
2010_OrnamentalPepperPurpleFlash.jpg

misc_black_plant_300.jpg

I am sure we all would love to hear about new varieties or favorites that you have and swap info about them. Mine are still too small to post any worthy pics but I will soon.

I was shooting for purple leaves, pods, or flowers but any dark plant is welcome!

Does not have to be peppers only.

Talk about your plants and post your pics here!

Do you ever notice the leaves reverting back to green?

All of my dark plants like black pearl and red rubin basil always do after awhile. I don't know how I can fix it.

I have heard the sunlight will affect it but not sure.

Awesome plant by the way, have not heard of it till now.

PepperDaddler said:

All of my dark plants like black pearl and red rubin basil always do after awhile. I don't know how I can fix it.

Awesome plant by the way, have not heard of it till now.
I've had some that look half purple and half green. That's when I sowed like 16 cells with 2 seeds. Now I did 4 sponges with 2 seeds each, and none came out that way. They all look the same color except the leaf shape varies a lil bit.

That red rubin basil looks nice, I just saw some pics online and some even look like pepper leaves and have a greenish purple tone. Very nice. Post a pick of yours? Lol.

, Walter

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:1720]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:1718]

The Black Thai TQ I grew

I have grown this tropical plant Eranthemum nigrum, it's a really dark color, but doesnt like ANY cold. 

80069.jpg

then there is another tropical ornamantal called Graphtophyllum pictum Chocolate, It often reverts to an all chocolate leaf form without any variegation. 

80066.jpg

Here are a few pictures of my purple peppers. They are supposed to be 'Tepin' (from a seed exchange), but based on how they look I think it must be something else. Either way, I didn't have it before and I think it looks cool! One plant has grown very purple right from the start (under T8 bulbs). I expected it to go more green after being put outside but instead new growth starts green and quickly turns purple. On the other plant, the peppers start green and quickly turn purple, the flowers have some purple too, but the leaves are mostly green.

0gm3.jpg

xhpp.jpg

1ity.jpg

pepguy said:
Here are a few pictures of my purple peppers. They are supposed to be 'Tepin' (from a seed exchange), but based on how they look I think it must be something else. Either way, I didn't have it before and I think it looks cool! One plant has grown very purple right from the start (under T8 bulbs). I expected it to go more green after being put outside but instead new growth starts green and quickly turns purple. On the other plant, the peppers start green and quickly turn purple, the flowers have some purple too, but the leaves are mostly green.

Oh the goth pepper pr0n!

PepperDaddler said:

I've been growing black pearls and I can confidently say that exposure to sunlight is a huge factor here!  After growing indoors and moving to a sunny window the whole plant went from dark green to purple/black in about two days.

Tigeris said:

I've been growing black pearls and I can confidently say that exposure to sunlight is a huge factor here!  After growing indoors and moving to a sunny window the whole plant went from dark green to purple/black in about two days.

Noted.

Will try.

Just waiting for my black pearl to flower ( it has buds ) and I will contribute.

I also have a mystery purple plant that will be ready very soon. How often does that happen?? (purple mysteries) :P  The cool thing about that is I did not plant any purple types this year BUT the black pearl. Should be interesting...

Back