• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

okra

Chile Juju said:
Has Lady Sic started pickling them yet?!   :drooling:
yes she has. 

birdfather said:
love okra. piece of cake to grow down here in FL. looks like you've got the hang of it. 
must be i threw seeds in the ground and have watered a total of 3 times.

LOL

Yeah, okra's almost a weed in the south. I've never seen it shorter than about 6' tall when fully mature when I lived down there. Good eats there!

I raised 2 kinds of it last year the Scarlet got to almost 5 foot the regular just 2-3 foot,  I'm thinking the Red would have hit 6 foot but the September flood killed em all.

IMG_0115.jpg
IMG_0107.jpg
IMG_0106.jpg
IMG_0108.jpg

geeme said:
LOL

Yeah, okra's almost a weed in the south. I've never seen it shorter than about 6' tall when fully mature when I lived down there. Good eats there!
well everyone in these central florida parts are saying thats about as big as they have seen. you must be talking about miami ;)  ;) .   i never seen okra that big in tn.   its not just a couple plants its 3 full rows.   as far as good eats i just grew it for the wife, "i dont care for it." 

scarlet!?!?    mind blown!    i had no idea do i need to be growing that also? does it taste diffrent?  it looks cool. im sure my wife would dig. we will need to do some kind of trade if you have seeds.

Prehensile said:
No need tah trade I can send yah 50 seeds if you want... :party:
cool, my wife would dig that.  and i like looking at anything thats diffrent.    p.m. me your addy and i will send you a mixed box of peppers out in the morning.   thank you very much :dance:

birdfather said:
the reds don't really taste different. they turn green when you cook them too. 
thats cool.    the wife and towns people will be eating them. i just want to see a row or scarlet okra.

Okra is such an awesome plant. I grew a batch 3 years ago that hit 8+' by the end of the summer. We were all so sick of okra by the end that we didn't plant any for 2 years straight. I put some okra in this year but it all got stunted from a late cold snap so no joy. I really love the flowers they make, so big and beautiful with those silky black centers.

PS. Okra takes huge quantities of nitrogen...HUGE! Yours looks like it could use a dose.

the plants had some powdery mildew on them. leaves look a little ruff.   as far as any fert i havent sprayed them in  awhile. like you said we kinda sick of okra,ive been letting people come pick it.  but maybe ill give it some just to get these plants up to 10 feet.

I love okra but I'm starting to get tired of picking the pods off mine. If I don't do it at least twice a day they get too large to be tender. 

Mine almost got wiped out early in the season by lack of growth from a cold spring combined with damage from a wave of aphid attacks but once it warmed up they bounced back.

Back